Kings Vision: When should the Kings extend call-up net minder Pheonix Copley?

Given the situation in net how soon should the Kings extend call-up goaltender Pheonix Copley (3-1)?

• Total voters

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It was just the usual World Championship tourney the Euros hold every May that NHL players not in the playoffs will jump into for a quick shot at a gold medal. Its not a particularly important event. I remember Lankinen won the damn thing for Finland a couple of years ago but nobody threw 3/15M at him, even though he was a UFA.
Respectfully, it was different that year because of covid. More of the elite players eliminated chose not to participate. That opened the door for guys like Cal and Trevor Moore pre breakout with Danault. I was watching closely. Sure savvy scouting like that of Finland, can lead to lesser knowns being spotlighted but the talent was the lowest ever that year.

Reactions: Seattle King

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I like Copley and him being the starter. But Quick hasn't played like shit. By reading these boards you'd think that Quick just gave up on playing. He's played pretty good. If Copley keeps up his play, I think Blake has a tough decision to make this offseason.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I like Copley and him being the starter. But Quick hasn't played like shit. By reading these boards you'd think that Quick just gave up on playing. He's played pretty good. If Copley keeps up his play, I think Blake has a tough decision to make this offseason.
I think you are being understandably a little nostalgic.

He’s had several great games but he’s also had some (probably more) bad ones. Goaltenders need to be consistent and unfortunately Quick hasn’t been that. That’s part of what is working for Copley. He hasn’t been lights out, just consistently solid. However so far TMac knows what he getting game to game from Copley and it’s helped settle everything down.

I love Quick and for me he should be a HOF lock, but he’s struggled this year and certainly is at the stage of his career where he should be no more than a backup. That said it is Quick, so it wouldn’t be a shock if he ended up on a play-off heater and carried us through a couple of rounds out of nowhere. On current form it’s an easy hockey decision not to resign Quick (based on this small snapshot) and sign Copley, assuming things continue as they are. The difficulty comes with his standing within the franchise and the locker room. However a lot can change with 41+ games left.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think you are being understandably a little nostalgic.

He’s had several great games but he’s also had some (probably more) bad ones. Goaltenders need to be consistent and unfortunately Quick hasn’t been that. That’s part of what is working for Copley. He hasn’t been lights out, just consistently solid. However so far TMac knows what he getting game to game from Copley and it’s helped settle everything down.

I love Quick and for me he should be a HOF lock, but he’s struggled this year and certainly is at the stage of his career where he should be no more than a backup. That said it is Quick, so it wouldn’t be a shock if he ended up on a play-off heater and carried us through a couple of rounds out of nowhere. On current form it’s an easy hockey decision not to resign Quick (based on this small snapshot) and sign Copley, assuming things continue as they are. The difficulty comes with his standing within the franchise and the locker room. However a lot can change with 41+ games left.
🔥

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
We all love Quick. But when you cannot beat Anaheim or Arizona or Philafukndelphia at home when they roll backup Gs you are no longer an NHL goalie. We will lose at least 80 percent of his starts regardless of who the opponent is. How can we send that out there if we have ambitions for the postseason?

Reactions: lumbergh

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Remember when we were debating Fukufuji vs. Brust vs. Taylor vs. Aubin vs. Bernier vs.

I was so hyped for Danny Taylor and looking back I can't figure out why. It must have been playing one of the EA NHL games or something, because his stats were never outstanding

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
We all love Quick. But when you cannot beat Anaheim or Arizona or Philafukndelphia at home when they roll backup Gs you are no longer an NHL goalie. We will lose at least 80 percent of his starts regardless of who the opponent is. How can we send that out there if we have ambitions for the postseason?
But Quick did beat ARZ at home earlier in the month...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
But Quick did beat ARZ at home earlier in the month...

He also hasn’t played Anaheim this year. As for the most recent loss to Arizona, he stopped 23/24 shots and lost in overtime. Hard for me to pin the Philadelphia loss squarely on his shoulders either.

Quick has been bad this season to be sure, but the Philadelphia and Arizona games aren’t the ones I’m necessarily upset about.

He’s given up four or more 11 times this year… those are the bad ones.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Quicks mind has far from given up, but his body completely has.

8-9-4, 3.40GAA, .884SV%

Poor guy has been a dumpster fire this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle King

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Quicks mind has far from given up, but his body completely has.

8-9-4, 3.40GAA, .884SV%

Poor guy has been a dumpster fire this year.
I don’t think Quick is less capable athletically, at least substantially. I just think the league has figured him out and passed him by. For so long Quick has been great by being aggressive and playing bigger than he is. His lateral movement was excellent and he covered the bottom of the net by coming across in the splits. To beat him shooters had to elevate the puck on cross ice passes, which Quick would try to smother by getting as close to the shooter as possible.

Today more goals are being scored at the 15-30ft range. Just about every NHL forward has a very good shot and can elevate the puck at will. Quick is not able to smother as many shooters and he’s getting beat up high more often, as he’s not a particularly tall goalie. In the Flyers game, all three goals were scored over the same shoulder from distance. Instead of gloving the puck, Quick has his glove down and tries to shrug the puck, which might work if he were 6”3’. There’s no fountain of youth that will help him grow another inch.

I say this as a huge fan, but I think Quick is done at the end of this season. It’s time to hang them up. The Kings should not resign him unless he can manage to figure out a different style of play mid season.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if Quick re-takes the starting position down the stretch.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t think Quick is less capable athletically, at least substantially. I just think the league has figured him out and passed him by. For so long Quick has been great by being aggressive and playing bigger than he is. His lateral movement was excellent and he covered the bottom of the net by coming across in the splits. To beat him shooters had to elevate the puck on cross ice passes, which Quick would try to smother by getting as close to the shooter as possible.

Today more goals are being scored at the 15-30ft range. Just about every NHL forward has a very good shot and can elevate the puck at will. Quick is not able to smother as many shooters and he’s getting beat up high more often, as he’s not a particularly tall goalie. In the Flyers game, all three goals were scored over the same shoulder from distance. Instead of gloving the puck, Quick has his glove down and tries to shrug the puck, which might work if he were 6”3’. There’s no fountain of youth that will help him grow another inch.

I say this as a huge fan, but I think Quick is done at the end of this season. It’s time to hang them up. The Kings should not resign him unless he can manage to figure out a different style of play mid season.

I don't think you're wrong at all, I generally agree. But i"d love to see the stats on this. I'd agree that there's less net crashing, front banging than there was when Quick started. His strengths initially were you were NOT going to beat him within 10 feet of the net in any way and everything was tap ins and smash and bang hockey. I feel like a lot more goals now are further out which means to cover more net he'd have to be even MORE aggressive and vulnerable to quick crosses and tap ins. Even power plays account for this, I'm surprised how many seam passes get thru in the league these days, but those one timers aren't in-front tap ins, they're circle-high one timers and/or the high-slot tic-tac-toe (and he was ALWAYS vulnerable to stuff coming out from behind the net, he's always had issues losing his depth there).

I think if he was still in his 20s he'd figure it out with his atheticism so I wouldn't go so far as to say the game has passed him by but his talents don't play as well in today's league imo.

Yet, he was a monster in the playoffs, when the checking gets tighteer and things get more violent in front. So who knows. I think he'll finish strong. Too competitive not to go out on his own terms.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Uhhh yeah, to the guy who kept banging the drum that the Kings FO was blowing it by not signing Copley to a contract extension - time to wake up.

Reactions: KINGS17 and Statto

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I wo

I would take advantage of Pheonix's slump and offer him 1 additional year at 1.25 and let him know we believe in him. Hope for the best, minimal investment. Assuming Blake has several talks going about multiple positions and players, including goaltender. He might need a goaltender to send back the other way or have a backup or two.
Time to try Fiala with Danault.
Kopi line unchanged
Fiala -Dan - Arvy
Iaf -Turcotte -Vil if ready or Fagemo
Lem- Lizzo - JAD

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Kopi line unchanged