Kings Vision: When should the Kings extend call-up net minder Pheonix Copley?

Given the situation in net how soon should the Kings extend call-up goaltender Pheonix Copley (3-1)?

• Total voters

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Uh, definitely to be determined here. He’s had a few decent games. Let’s see if the wheels fall off as the season continues.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
About 6 more weeks of good play from Copley and Blake will sign him to a 3 year, $15 M extension.
Sign him cheaper , earlier! If he continues to play like this he will be an attractive free agent and a bidding war ensues. He can pick and choose whatever he likes between the offers. They gotta go for it, now! Especially with Quick not resigned and looking outdated recently (no disrespect to the HOFer). They only have Cal Petersen with NHL experience signed beyond this year. Right now, it looks disastrous.

Last edited:

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Copley will be as easy to sign at the end of the season as he is now if they wanted. If they truly believed Cal and Quick are done for though, I'd suspect the move they'd have to make is far greater than merely signing Copely. He is certainly not the answer. He is a stopgap.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Copley will be as easy to sign at the end of the season as he is now if they wanted. If they truly believed Cal and Quick are done for though, I'd suspect the move they'd have to make is far greater than merely signing Copely. He is certainly not the answer. He is a stopgap.
Not if he goes 3 wins for every one loss the rest of the way, and I assume you know that and assume he will not.
He could at least be a backup next year if Cal falters on his next look over with the Kings. He is a UFA and the Kings NHL ready shelf is bare.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Sign him cheaper , earlier! If he continues to play like this he will be an attractive free agent and a bidding war ensues. He can pick and choose whatever he likes between the offers. They gotta go for it, now! Especially with Quick not resigned and looking outdated recently (no disrespect to the HOFer). They only have Cal Petersen with NHL experience signed beyond this year. Right now, it looks disastrous.
Are you sure you're not Blake? This is essentially the same crazy reasoning that resulted in the Cal contract.
Copley is a 30 year old career minor leaguer who is on a nice little run for us and its appreciated.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Are you sure you're not Blake? This is essentially the same crazy reasoning that resulted in the Cal contract.
Copley is a 30 year old career minor leaguer who is on a nice little run for us and its appreciated.
Ya Blake rides a stand up paddleboard. One of my points is he can sign him cheaper now without competition. If he stays hot he may have to pay him Cal money later. If he regresses in the future, better to have him cheap than for a Cal contract.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ha ha, John. The Kings are in dire straits in net.
If you do it next week you could probably sign him for 1.7 x 2.
They took a flier on him already because they saw something.
He is rewarding their judgment.
The fact that he's had more success is mostly coincidental IMO.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Ya Blake rides a stand up paddleboard. One of my points is he can sign him cheaper now without competition. If he stays hot he may have to pay him Cal money later. If he regresses in the future, better to have him cheap than for a Cal contract.
When u see Rob out in the water, do you say 'sup?

Reactions: Moxiesdad

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The fact that he's had more success is mostly coincidental IMO.
Its interesting in 35 games last season he had a .913 save pct w Reign and same save pct this year in 11 games..To show that consistency even in the A may be a sign he picked up a few things since he's been here. I just notice he's very controlled and positionally very sound.. He's also a big body that takes up a lot of space within the 6x4... Def not making case for him being a #1.. just saying he may have improved late in his career could be a solid #2.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The comp is clearly Cal Petersen.

Phoenix should get the same contract.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Even worse because he has no significant history/pedigree like Cal and his comps.

Copley's calm, big style is just a complete change for the Kings in net but don't mistake that for 'guy to get us over the hump.'

Big credit to him for bringing mostly stability at least, I'm not trying to crap on him here.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I would absolutely extend him. One year at what he’s earning now, he’s an ideal #3 until we have (acquire) a prospect ready for that role. Let’s not let the mess at #1 & #2 compound the issue.

I’m not sure it’s good judgment. They needed a #3 due to the poor pipeline and of the UFA’s he was an obvious choice. It was pretty much a no-brainer.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
TBD. This is how he played with the Caps. He is perfectly acceptable as the back up or the first call up. It just depends on how Copley plays the rest of the season and who else the Kings can get for next year. Do they sign a college or international free agent? Do they make a trade or draft a goalie with a high pick? Does Cal find his mojo, get called up, and go on a hot streak in the spring/playoffs?

If he is extended, absolutely nothing over 2 years. The Kings were able to have this kind of performance out of the 3G spot regularly over the last 10 years. We don't need to get carried away. Others will be available.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Pheonix Copley vs Boston
On making the saves he needed to tonight, to keep the team in the game

I’m just trying to make the saves, not overthink it and trust myself. Whatever is going to happen, happens.

I say just let him play and don't put any pressure on him. He ain't the savior , we just need a goalie right now that can keep us in games.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings haven't historically just gotten a Hamburglar or Rittich coming out of nowhere due to relative stability at the position, Copley could be that guy. Of course the catch is what happens after, so may as well ride it until the wheels fall off. But I would not even breach the idea of a contract until much much later. Don't make him think.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kings haven't historically just gotten a Hamburglar or Rittich coming out of nowhere due to relative stability at the position, Copley could be that guy. Of course the catch is what happens after, so may as well ride it until the wheels fall off. But I would not even breach the idea of a contract until much much later. Don't make him think.
Budaj

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not if he goes 3 wins for every one loss the rest of the way, and I assume you know that and assume he will not.
He could at least be a backup next year if Cal falters on his next look over with the Kings. He is a UFA and the Kings NHL ready shelf is bare.
I mean, he can't with this defense, but even if he assumed his best Hasek impression for the rest of the season, he is lucky to see the NHL again. He would earn himself a $1.2 million deal instead of a $900k deal. In the end, knee-jerk crazy signings are what got us into this mess in the first place. Copley isn't the answer.

Need to wait and see what the options are. For all we know, Quick, Petersen, and Copley aren't on the team next season. This situation is completely up in the air. It is best to ride out the deal and re-assess things in the offseason if a trade cannot be found now to remedy the situation. Blake should be feeling some heat this year and next year as his "Plan" he has sold AEG starts to look a little bleak.

Budaj put up stellar numbers with us and earned a ~$1.025M cap hit for 2 years and did f*** all with it afterward...

Reactions: yankeeking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad