When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
imo, the only thing possibly stopping them from firing TMac is Katz doesn't want to waste salary. That goes for Chia too

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I used to think that too. But then this season happened.
Haha, I don't measure things like that, either they work or they don't, no need to complicate things by keeping things that don't work when your intention is to have something that does work.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Which media members are openly and unbiasedly critical of Tmac? I know Staples openly questions quite a bit regarding Tmac, Stauffer questions a LOT of things Tmac is responsible for, but still supports the coach. What about Lowetide, Brownlee, Matheson, Rishaug, Neilson...and whoever I am missing.

The TSN morning show rips on the coaching frequently. Like this morning, they had a stat where every forward on the Oilers registered some time on the power play in yesterday's game.

Except for one.

That player's name rhymes with Yes E.

I don't listen to Lowetide much, I can't tolerate Dave Jamieson's voice and I'm gone home for the Gregor show unless I'm on afternoons that week.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Oh my god that's awful - TMac clearly has a learning disability - some of the choicest lines:
  1. Ron Wilson had the San Jose Sharks running the penalty kill about as efficiently as anyone in the NHL. Since Todd McLellan took over, this unit has declined every season from the last. Instead of fixing a problem he inherited, it seems he is dismantling one of the best starting assets he had. Over the last two seasons, it has been so bad on teams that are otherwise so good that one has to wonder if that one improvement might have given the Sharks a conference title.At some point, one must accept the system is failing. Either find the adjustment that works or find someone who can fix the problem.

Todd McLellan has finally taken Colin White out of the lineup. He played so terribly all season that only stubbornness explains his continual active status.

Players teamed up who do not compliment each other.....

Odd choices on who to sit.....

If logic was not enough, statistics show a goalie is not as effective in the second night of back-to-back games in net. It also has long-term effects for a team playing so many games in the final six weeks—Antti Niemi looked fatigued last year in the playoffs after playing in 36 of the last 37 Sharks games.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Brings his stubbornness to the Oilers. Playing Letestu on the PK (which improved once he got trade). And then continuing to play his favorites like Lucic to death. Todd McLellan is not the rightful coach for this team.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No, its not. The last organization who should be tying themselves to an inexperienced coach is the Oilers especially after all the turnover this team has had in the past 10 years. Thinking a coach having success in the AHL is somehow gonna transfer to the NHL is dumb and guess what we experienced that **** first hand.

You still don't see how illogical this is in light of similar experiences with experienced NHL coaches/managers, huh?

The problem with Eakins (I assume that is to whom you are referring) wasn't his lack of experience; it was that he wasn't a very good coach.

The Oilers need to start hiring the best people for the job, not just the biggest name or the most well-connected.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Another choice quote...

"Constantly changing line and pair combinations tells me two things: McLellan does not have his finger on the pulse of the team enough to pick the right lines and pairs to begin with, and he does not have the answers for what new combinations will work.

It is customary for the lines and pairs to be stable so players increase their feel for one another. They know what to expect and where to look. They play off each other's strengths and protect each other's shortcomings.

The San Jose Sharks never get a chance to do that for long before coming onto the ice with someone new."

Wow he hasn't changed at all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You still don't see how illogical this is in light of similar experiences with experienced NHL coaches/managers, huh?

The problem with Eakins (I assume that is to whom you are referring) wasn't his lack of experience; it was that he wasn't a very good coach.

The Oilers need to start hiring the best people for the job, not just the biggest name or the most well-connected.
They need a thorough search and they need somebody who knows what they’re looking for when they interview candidates. I agree they’ve been sidetracked going after the “trendy” name with their last two hires. A good interview should have exposed the flaws in both those guys.

It shouldn’t have been difficult to see Eakins was a bull shit artist and in over his head. He sounded like a used car salesman every time he spoke to the media. The Vancouver media reported the Canucks passed on him because they didn’t think he was ready. They saw through him. He sure didn’t look ready.

There was plenty to have been concerned about with Mclellan too. He’d been in San Jose a while and his coaching wasn’t a secret anymore. Plenty of articles written about Todd’s shortcomings in San Jose that have found their way into this thread. They were out there. Plenty of concern with his reliance on veterans and less than stellar record with kids. Watching him everyday, it’s easy to see why his teams never went anywhere in the post season. Maybe not the best fit here.

Maybe an unbiased interview process where the candidate hasn’t been selected before he sits down helps see the flaws for what they are. Whoever is hired needs to be put under a microscope and he shouldn’t be the only one either. This is the process they need to use for the next coach. My worst fear is Quenville (as an example) gets fired and we rush to hire him without taking the time to find out if he’s the right fit for us or in the right frame of mind and we’re right back in this spot two years from now.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Maybe an unbiased interview process where the candidate hasn’t been selected before he sits down helps see the flaws for what they are. Whoever is hired needs to be put under a microscope and he shouldn’t be the only one either. This is the process they need to use for the next coach. My worst fear is Quenville (as an example) gets fired and we rush to hire him without taking the time to find out if he’s the right fit for us or in the right frame of mind and we’re right back in this spot two years from now.

They haven't done it for any of their last several coaching or management hires, there's no reason to expect them to start now.

Reactions: Aerrol

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
i think my favorite part was

"However, the Sharks are the biggest team in the league. This seems to be only useful in blocking shots, but McLellan needs to adjust the system to utilize that. Put bodies on skaters and finish your checks."

Yup, More total failure to adapt the game plan to the roster, always expecting the roster to conform to the system (aka jamming a square peg in a round hole). The opposition isn't nearly as fast knocked on their asses

The fact Todd has refused to ante up some of his big fat salary , swallow the fine and rip a strip off the league for the reffing and review calls to show he is behind his players is the reason he lost the room. How many reviews have we lost since cam went off?? Zack still gets screwed out of goals however.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Nobody can approach the level of incompetence that Eakins displayed.

ylMeMrn.gif

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
As far as the always changing coaches argument. That was the first rebuild. Mcdavid has played under only 1 coach.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Whose more likely to find success with a fragile team? some no namer sipping his first cup of coffee in the NHL or someone like Trots or Quenville? Wasn't a good coach? Pretty sure he coached the Marlies to back to back 40 + win seasons. The last thing this team needs is to bring in a no namer who if fails magnifies the idiocy of our management even more and makes the entire organization look like a farce. Go on keep arguing why we should hire no namers because the game has changed while Quenville basically was coaching his team that way since 2010.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Whose more likely to find success with a fragile team? some no namer sipping his first cup of coffee in the NHL or someone like Trots or Quenville?

Or, uh, Todd McLellan? How about Claude Julien, that guy won a Cup!

Wasn't a good coach? Pretty sure he coached the Marlies to back to back 40 + win seasons.

His NHL record speaks for itself.

The last thing this team needs is to bring in a no namer who if fails magnifies the idiocy of our management even more and makes the entire organization look like a farce.

The last thing this org needs is to hire someone solely based on their name and past accomplishments.

Again.

Go on keep arguing why we should hire no namers because the game has changed while Quenville basically was coaching his team that way since 2010.

Despite my stating my argument in plain language, you still have no clue. Amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad