When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
TMacT is the worst in-game coach I've ever seen at the pro level. He just doesn't understand the relationship between things that happen and the players that are on the ice for them. It's roll lines, roll lines, never adjust, never call timeouts, roll lines again. His job is seemingly done once the scratches are posted.

Woodcroft is somehow more incompetent, though. It's like watching a Make-A-Wish kid who asked to be a coach for a day- pacing, nattering in ears, drawing on his iPad... but with no real concept of what his job is or what he is supposed to.

Chiarelli's biggest failure this off-season is already in the books if he fails to fire them. Neither belongs anywhere near an NHL team again.
Funny the last 2 powerplays they just rolled regular lines and 2 dman and it scored just seconds after 1st one and connected on the 2nd , only took tmac 76 games to give it a go , and they might as well stick with this to end of season imo.

Reactions: oobga

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Up 3-2 in the third and he's still playing the fourth line.

Rakell-Getlzaf-Perry-Fowler-Montour vs Pakarinen-Khaira-Slepyshev-Russell-Bear

Ducks immediately tied it.

I'd really love to ask Katz, Bobby Nicks or Chia for their rationale on why the coaching staff should stay the same after countless examples just like this one. They are all supposedly smart individuals, so the answer should be a good one.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Up 3-2 in the third and he's still playing the fourth line.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry-Fowler-Montour vs Pakarinen-Khaira-Slepyshev-Russell-Bear

Ducks immediately tied it.

It's like TMac feels he must always cycle ALL the lines.
This aint EA Sports NHL Auto-line change dammit!!! You can actually pick and choose!!

Reactions: VainGretzky

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
If the oil end up with a top tier coach...they are going to be dangerous...I am liking a lot of their pieces :)

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I am surprised no one brought up the ducks adjustment in overtime. That is plain and simple great coaching by the ducks. Let's see if Tmac has noticed teams getting wise to the McD Drai combo and splits them up and plays them the entire ot but without each other.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Also important to note that when a coach actually plays people in correct positions there seem to be less holes to fill by the gm. Not sure there is much appetite to trade for a top left that would cost us a valuable asset now that Nuge has finally been put there. This supports my idea that Tmac has been a bigger issue than Chia. The team has been playing much better as of late...and it is mostly due to Tmac finally playing players properly...Nuge on wing. Drain at center...Lucic on 3rd line as well as chia trading away letestu, who Tmac was playing in positions that he wasn't succeeding at, pp and pk.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I am surprised no one brought up the ducks adjustment in overtime. That is plain and simple great coaching by the ducks. Let's see if Tmac has noticed teams getting wise to the McD Drai combo and splits them up and plays them the entire ot but without each other.

It's a dbag way to coach out the fun/entertainment in the game but I agree. Carlyle outsmarted TMac, even if I think the Ducks play should have warranted a delay of game penatly

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Also important to note that when a coach actually plays people in correct positions there seem to be less holes to fill by the gm. Not sure there is much appetite to trade for a top left that would cost us a valuable asset now that Nuge has finally been put there. This supports my idea that Tmac has been a bigger issue than Chia. The team has been playing much better as of late...and it is mostly due to Tmac finally playing players properly...Nuge on wing. Drain at center...Lucic on 3rd line as well as chia trading away letestu, who Tmac was playing in positions that he wasn't succeeding at, pp and pk.

I have thought for a while that there has been a massive disconnect between how Chiarelli envisioned the roster being used and how Mclellan uses it. Best example is Puljujarvi. Was obvious that Chia expected him to play top 6 minutes even if they had to go through some rookie pains but mclellan keeps banishing the kid to the bottom 6 and not giving him opportunities. Just seems like there can be a few cases where we see that kind of thing happening. Like Letestu being stapled to the PP and extra man situations until he was traded away.

I had nothing against Mclellan but he showed himself to be in over his head this season when things weren't working. just had no answers until it was too late and probably got told to try things differently. The fact that he's willing to die with his asssistant coaches is just more of that unwilling to make the changes required. Give Chiarelli another chance to hire a more adaptable coach and see what happens because there are more pieces here than people think if you ask me.

Reactions: Cypress and PulYou

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I have thought for a while that there has been a massive disconnect between how Chiarelli envisioned the roster being used and how Mclellan uses it. Best example is Puljujarvi. Was obvious that Chia expected him to play top 6 minutes even if they had to go through some rookie pains but mclellan keeps banishing the kid to the bottom 6 and not giving him opportunities. Just seems like there can be a few cases where we see that kind of thing happening. Like Letestu being stapled to the PP and extra man situations until he was traded away.

I had nothing against Mclellan but he showed himself to be in over his head this season when things weren't working. just had no answers until it was too late and probably got told to try things differently. The fact that he's willing to die with his asssistant coaches is just more of that unwilling to make the changes required. Give Chiarelli another chance to hire a more adaptable coach and see what happens because there are more pieces here than people think if you ask me.

Pretty much agree. You can tell there is a disconnect between Chiarelli and McLellan

I think more of this season is on McLellan. He doesnt use his players properly. Hes extremely stubborn. The whole season he has basically tried to fit a round piece into a square hole. He doesnt line match. He doesnt adjust. He makes poor decisions over and over again. He doesnt seem like he learns from his mistakes? I dont really see how they can go into next year with McClellan but I wouldnt be surprised if they do.

Chiarelli I think has done a poor job as well. Even though I think this season is more on McLellan, Chiarelli being the GM obviously has more influence on the long term impact of this team. Hes made some bad trades and hes negotiated some bad contracts. I can see some rational to some of his decisions though. Can he learn from his mistake? I think he has shown glimpses of being able to, the problem with him, is that he makes any more mistakes, it will just continue to set this team back. I am not sure that he can be trusted. The majority of GM's make mistakes though, its how they recover from their mistakes. If they do go ahead with Chiarelli for another year, I think he really needs to be careful on future trades and negotiation. One more mistake and hes probably done (if hes not already).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just look at Carlyle's strategy in OT. It's a minor thing but can you imagine Mclellan ever creating a strategy like that to play keep away from the worlds' best 3 on 3 duo?
Not only that but having his best faceoff man win the faceoff then immediately taking him off the ice for a better 3 on3 player. It just illustrates an adjustment that a competent coach can employ.

We should have listened to the Sharks fans who were spot on with their assessment about his poor in game management, stubbornness, undying loyalty to his assistants etc. and the same with Bruins fans and Chia's mismanaging of their cap and propensity to deal away skill for toughness and character. We were warned but we largely ignored the noise because Chia won a Cup and Mclellan had a pretty stout record with the Sharks. Well now their flaws have been grossly exposed and we have to deal with the consequences of being a bottom 10 team in 2 of their first 3 seasons with the greatest hockey player on the planet.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
If the oil end up with a top tier coach...they are going to be dangerous...I am liking a lot of their pieces :)

I agree, Chia has made some poor trades, but ultimately Tmac is driving this bus into the ditch. They just need a good coach who can at least line match.

Reactions: PulYou

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Just look at Carlyle's strategy in OT. It's a minor thing but can you imagine Mclellan ever creating a strategy like that to play keep away from the worlds' best 3 on 3 duo?
Not only that but having his best faceoff man win the faceoff then immediately taking him off the ice for a better 3 on3 player. It just illustrates an adjustment that a competent coach can employ.

We should have listened to the Sharks fans who were spot on with their assessment about his poor in game management, stubbornness, undying loyalty to his assistants etc. and the same with Bruins fans and Chia's mismanaging of their cap and propensity to deal away skill for toughness and character. We were warned but we largely ignored the noise because Chia won a Cup and Mclellan had a pretty stout record with the Sharks. Well now their flaws have been grossly exposed and we have to deal with the consequences of being a bottom 10 team in 2 of their first 3 seasons with the greatest hockey player on the planet.

I mean, the strategy was interesting, but it was more annoying than anything. McDavid and Draisaitl usually play something like 3 minutes of OT, with the potential of playing more. So it wasn't really like the Ducks were going to wait McDavid's and Draisaitl's shift out. If Nurse wouldn't have whiffed on his stick check, or if Talbot would have made that (relatively easy) safe, McDavid and Draisaitl would have been back on the attack. If anything, the strategy would have been more effective for the Ducks if it were geared toward killing the overtime and bringing the game to the shootout, because the Ducks aren't good in OT, probably because they can't obstruct with impunity like they do in regulation--really, the main reason they are a decent team.

Edit: I should say, I take your point about McLellan. I just wanted to rant about the f***ing Ducks, because I hate them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty much agree. You can tell there is a disconnect between Chiarelli and McLellan

I think more of this season is on McLellan. He doesnt use his players properly. Hes extremely stubborn. The whole season he has basically tried to fit a round piece into a square hole. He doesnt line match. He doesnt adjust. He makes poor decisions over and over again. He doesnt seem like he learns from his mistakes? I dont really see how they can go into next year with McClellan but I wouldnt be surprised if they do.

Chiarelli I think has done a poor job as well. Even though I think this season is more on McLellan, Chiarelli being the GM obviously has more influence on the long term impact of this team. Hes made some bad trades and hes negotiated some bad contracts. I can see some rational to some of his decisions though. Can he learn from his mistake? I think he has shown glimpses of being able to, the problem with him, is that he makes any more mistakes, it will just continue to set this team back. I am not sure that he can be trusted. The majority of GM's make mistakes though, its how they recover from their mistakes. If they do go ahead with Chiarelli for another year, I think he really needs to be careful on future trades and negotiation. One more mistake and hes probably done (if hes not already).

Where has Chia shown ever that he'd learned a damn thing? He's done everything Bruins fans warned us about.

This guy has learned nothing, we need to stop being naive about that. He will make more bad trades and sign more bad contracts. That's who he is.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Mclellan's coaching rarely wins us games. It's always the McDavid show.

McLellan can't coach, whenever a game is won it's McDavid or the goaltender made an appearance.

McLellan has no system. McLellan doesn't know how to utilize his offensive players or defensive players. McLellan doesn't know how to utilize his better skating players or slower skating players. Under no circumstances does any coach give Lucic 18+ minutes a game in the best hockey league in the world, Lucic isn't 20 years old anymore.

My biggest reason to be optimistic after this season is a new coach. A coach who understands hockey and implements a system.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm still pretty certain he is gone after game 82.

Nicholson and Chiarelli need a fall guy. Maybe just Woodcroft would be enough for that but Todd seems to be married to him, so...

Reactions: PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
To me this season has exposed TMac. And if the management does not act, if something better is available, they may loose the moment and risk another season.

To me it did seem like TMac had lost the room. Connor hinting about constantly changing linemates. To think about it. TMac has not been shuffling for a while...

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I think the last 10 games, 6-2-2, has already saved his job.

I agree with you, but I think him keeping his job will be based on the performance of the team last year. That's what they'll come out and hold up at the end of year presser, it will be all, "this year was an aberration" and "so-and-so was sick..." and excuse after excuse. Best we can hope for is like a 15-20 game winless streak to start next season, that should be enough to sink him. Of course that will mean no playoffs next year as well, but that's the price you pay for having stupid management I guess.

Reactions: PulYou and shoop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad