When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Whose more likely to find success with a fragile team? some no namer sipping his first cup of coffee in the NHL or someone like Trots or Quenville? Wasn't a good coach? Pretty sure he coached the Marlies to back to back 40 + win seasons. The last thing this team needs is to bring in a no namer who if fails magnifies the idiocy of our management even more and makes the entire organization look like a farce. Go on keep arguing why we should hire no namers because the game has changed while Quenville basically was coaching his team that way since 2010.

Who did Sather coach before he took the reins in oil country? A big name that got fired is no better than what is here now. Retreads are retreads for a reason. they're already worn out.

Todd Nelson FTW (or at least a punchers chance at one).

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As far as the always changing coaches argument. That was the first rebuild. Mcdavid has played under only 1 coach.
This excuse is only trotted out as a way to cover each other’s asses.

It makes less sense keeping someone who is doing a poor job. Lots to point to that Mclellan is doing a poor job. He’s also had three seasons. That’s been plenty of time to see what his failures are and it’s been a lot easier seeing them than it has been determining what his strengths are as a coach.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'd be worried that Quenneville has lost his fire after a successful decade and three Cups. Or maybe he's just grown complacent in Chicago, and a new team would reignite the spark?
Better find that out before he’s hired.
Last time we gave the job to someone who looks like he’s grown complacent.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
ylMeMrn.gif

$

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I don't know why Quenneville is so obviously the answer. I mean, great coach? Sure. But it really helps having guys like Kane, Hossa, Keith, prime Toews, prime Seabrook and prime Sharp on your roster.

Reactions: ujju2

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I don't know why Quenneville is so obviously the answer. I mean, great coach? Sure. But it really helps having guys like Kane, Hossa, Keith, prime Toews, prime Seabrook and prime Sharp on your roster.
McDavid - Kane
Draisaitl - Toews
RNH - Hossa
JP - Sharp
Klefbom - Keith
Nurse/Larsson - Seabrook

Numerous tangibles there with a lot of them still waiting to hit their prime, coach Q would have a hay day with the core that we have at the moment. If anyone can bring the best out of these guys, it would be him or Trotz no doubt.

EDIT: Thats not even including Yamamoto, Bear, and Maksimov (who all look like they could be NHL regulars earlier than expected).

Reactions: ivanlwan and PulYou

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Exactly. Quenneville did a great job with the Blackhawks. How much of that was on the talent?

Although the 800 career wins as a head coach is a pretty big deal.

Reactions: PulYou

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Exactly. Quenneville did a great job with the Blackhawks. How much of that was on the talent?

At least coach Q can coach talent...this Oiler team also has quite a bit of talent bit tbit thecoaches dont understand what to do to make is successful

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

One thing is this team is stacked with talent. Nuge McDavid drai pulu Yamamoto klefbom nurse.

McLellan sucks at deploying players. Guy couldn't stop deploying letestu on the pk. Stubborn as a mule.

Reactions: McAsuno and PulYou

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
The fact that Drake Caggiula got 2.5 minutes on the PP and JP got none makes me hope he gets canned sooner rather then later. Completely mismanaging "dead" games. The possibility of Puljujärvi being long-term affected by his horrible coaching just makes me sick to my stomach.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

While a lot of his wins are down to talent, the flipside is that the team might have 0 cup wins with someone else.

Quenneville is a fantastic coach.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
The fact that Drake Caggiula got 2.5 minutes on the PP and JP got none makes me hope he gets canned sooner rather then later. Completely mismanaging "dead" games. The possibility of Puljujärvi being long-term affected by his horrible coaching just makes me sick to my stomach.
I agree, Tmac is making it difficult to assess things.. I wish they would have brought in an interim coach

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I am curious if the oilers will circle back to Perry pearn as an assistant if Tmac and his group are removed.

Reactions: MessierII

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McLellan didn't want nuge to play on McDavid's wing.
He didn't want leon to run his own line.
Wanted letestu to pk when we were worst in history.
Wanted Lucic top line.

Probably misses living in San Jose where he knows more than the fans.

The sad thing is these were things that posters on here were constantly talking about yet he was to stubborn to try new things. A good coach adepts to the situation presented to him which TM doesn't do. He just sticks with what he's comfortable with.

Reactions: PulYou

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Just fire this outcoached always thinks his weird choices near the end of a game are brilliant when they're just sad. Puts out his 3 top forwards up by one with 2:30 left while ducks best players are on the bench , Than with a nice juicy open net his best players are on the bench ,and the Ducks have all their fire power with the extra skater out. This is how he is outcoahed constant . Enough is enough with this fool he always opens up that window for the opposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno and PulYou

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
TMacT is the worst in-game coach I've ever seen at the pro level. He just doesn't understand the relationship between things that happen and the players that are on the ice for them. It's roll lines, roll lines, never adjust, never call timeouts, roll lines again. His job is seemingly done once the scratches are posted.

Woodcroft is somehow even more incompetent, though. It's like watching a Make-A-Wish kid who asked to be a coach for a day- pacing, nattering in ears, drawing on his iPad... but with no real concept of what his job is or what he is actually supposed to.

Chiarelli's biggest failure this off-season is already in the books if he fails to fire both of them. Neither belongs anywhere near an NHL team ever again.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No in-game adjustments (aside from playing scared bottle it up hockey with a lead). Can't line match. Takes half a year plus to make any obvious adjustments. garbage special teams.

Seriously McLellan,

Reactions: McAsuno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad