When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
He’s still there because the guy the Oilers want to replace him with isn’t available right now. Nicholson pretty much said this loud and clear to the fans a couple weeks ago. They also don’t have anybody in the organization who could operate as an interim coach as Mclellan’s staff will be going as well. Fleming in Bakersfield is likely gone too so he isn’t getting called up. Only one who is somewhat qualified is Mactavish and that ship has probably sailed too as he hasn’t been seen publicly since Chiarelli was hired. It doesn’t take much to figure out why Mclellan is still here in March but that doesn’t mean he’ll still be here a month from now.

I sure hope it's because they have their eye on Keefe. I don't want a retread the game has passed by like Quenville, I want a guy who sees where the game is going. He's been good everywhere he's coached from the moment he started. Not quite 3 full seasons in the AHL, his career record is 140-61-13. Terrific track record with developing players in the AHL and OHL. He's the next Jon Cooper for sure.

Reactions: Shizuka

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Quenville has an actual track record of winning cups and recently, too. Not only that but he didn't stunt Panarin or Kane played them with players they would succeed with even though they are super flashy and had mistakes along the way of turning pucks over so that kind of gives me a hope a guy like him would fully commit to giving JP a fair shake with actual talent. Than you have a guy like Trotz if the Capitals swing and a miss again in the playoffs but I feel like he may have a better structure to his team strategies but he is a guy who will like Mclellan key on some 3rd/4th line who he believes plays the right way and will give those guys chances over a guy like JP.

Reactions: McAsuno and PulYou

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This guy, this year, is worse than Eakins.

Eakins is still the worst coach in history. I would say McLellan is just too stubborn.
Him and two coaching buddies from San Jose can simply f*** off. T0nedeff made a good point about the blackhawks playing the duo of Kane and Panarin together. If McLellan had those two players, Panarin would probably be playing in the bottom 6 still. If there's a guy that I would absolutely love to have as a coach, its definitely Quenneville assuming he's done with the hawks after this season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Finally, TMac actually doing good for San Jose. Usually, he drags them down.

Sorry, couldn't help myself from coming in here and making that comment. I'm not a fan of TMac, or his assistants.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Eakins is still the worst coach in history. I would say McLellan is just too stubborn.
Him and two coaching buddies from San Jose can simply **** off. T0nedeff made a good point about the blackhawks playing the duo of Kane and Panarin together. If McLellan had those two players, Panarin would probably be playing in the bottom 6 still. If there's a guy that I would absolutely love to have as a coach, its definitely Quenneville assuming he's done with the hawks after this season.

Agree on the stubborn comment. He refuses to make the appropriate adjustments as a head coach. I'd love it if he was canned this off-season, but I think he'll get one more shot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McLellan has been bad, but anyone who thinks Eakins is/was a better coach, should get their head examined.
This year and Todds first year were pretty freaking bad. Not as bad as Eakins years here but Eakins didn't have McDavid. Eakins is still worse.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Mclellan is not as bad as Eakins. But if you couple him with Woodcroft, he's just as bad as Eakins. Eakins at least didn't have a bad PP

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At the very least, McLellan has been a head coach in this league for some time now, with some successes (at least in regular season) in San Jose. I doubt Eakins will ever work in this league again.

Reactions: Aerrol

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018
Special teams wise he was. The numbers don't lie.
Our PK has killed off something like 46 of the last 50 penalties - best in the NHL.

Part of this is Talbot improving; part is adding Strome and Khaira to the top PK unit, which was a coaching adjustment made by McLellan.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Our PK has killed off something like 46 of the last 50 penalties - best in the NHL.

Part of this is Talbot improving; part is adding Strome and Khaira to the top PK unit, which was a coaching adjustment made by McLellan.
Part of that was us trading away Letestu and not giving him a choice lol.

Our home PK is still the worst of all time.

Our PP is still the worst in the NHL.

Reactions: PulYou

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Spot on. Todd's problem is that he is too loyal to the vets. I can see giving people that have done the job before, maybe 20 or so games at the outset, and hope they come around, but he made the mistake of hanging on far too long, and only the trade of Letestu finally shook the tree loose. Strome has taken to the role like a duck to water, and Khaira is improving leaps and bounds. But the biggest change is the overall play of Talbot, which has extended to his PK work.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Spot on. Todd's problem is that he is too loyal to the vets. I can see giving people that have done the job before, maybe 20 or so games at the outset, and hope they come around, but he made the mistake of hanging on far too long, and only the trade of Letestu finally shook the tree loose. Strome has taken to the role like a duck to water, and Khaira is improving leaps and bounds. But the biggest change is the overall play of Talbot, which has extended to his PK work.
At minimum Johnson and Woodcroft need to go. Their work on our special teams this year...they deserve to lose their jobs. Todd should go too but I can live with at least them being shit canned.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I've never watched a team get rewarded a PP and say, "no thanks we are better off". That's Woodcroft PP. A category of its own. And Mclellan is at fault for holding onto his BFF for too long.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007

Good thing it came soon enough to save the season

Reactions: A91

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At minimum Johnson and Woodcroft need to go. Their work on our special teams this year...they deserve to lose their jobs. Todd should go too but I can live with at least them being **** canned.

Whoever had last say on who was playing the PK made a big mistake. That falls on the HC. I never thought it was the system as much as the personnel being used. The PK has corrected itself to the point that I don't have a problem with Johnson staying. If it keeps on this trend for the rest of the year, it should settle in around 21st or 22nd. Talbot has made a huge difference. If he has the same save % as last year, we're likely in the playoff hunt, if not in a spot.

The PP continues to be crap, and the perimeter play and lack of creative puck movement to the interior softer belly has been non existent. Lucic has been a non factor all year, and the use of others in spots not playing to their strengths has also been a severe issue. Woodcroft should be canned for sure.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Whoever had last say on who was playing the PK made a big mistake. That falls on the HC. I never thought it was the system as much as the personnel being used. The PK has corrected itself to the point that I don't have a problem with Johnson staying. If it keeps on this trend for the rest of the year, it should settle in around 21st or 22nd. Talbot has made a huge difference. If he has the same save % as last year, we're likely in the playoff hunt, if not in a spot.

The PP continues to be crap, and the perimeter play and lack of creative puck movement to the interior softer belly has been non existent. Lucic has been a non factor all year, and the use of others in spots not playing to their strengths has also been a severe issue. Woodcroft should be canned for sure.
The issue is, our PK has been bad since we got this coaching staff, and it wasn't very good in San Jose. That points to coaching.

The PP I have no words for. Drai and McDavid on our team...worst PP in the league. Baffling. That said I 100% think that PaperCroft is still here to start the year.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Its never a good idea to assume there are massive improvements recently when the season is almost over and most of the games have you playing teams that have either clinched or are all but eliminated completely, also combined with the fact that the Oilers are relaxed and have nothing to play for.

Remember all those years the Oilers had strong finishes and fans start assuming improvements and changes were happening next season? Yeah fool me 10 times shame on me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad