GDT: WHC QF - Switzerland vs USA

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Whatever it is Fischer doesnt know it either. Hire someone new, try a new approach and start over.

I hoped so much you were wrong. I had a really good feeling yesterday but I became sort of sceptical before the game started too....
Would love to see a new approach and bring some new fire into the team. I think as someone already said we can‘t handle being the favourites in the qf or even later in the tournament if we’re able to get there

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If you think Fischer will be gone, there is no way this gonna happen.

Its more hopefull thinking. I guess it will depend how big the public backlash from the loss will be. Since the group stage was pretty good, it will probably not be big enough.

But honestly, do you still think he his the right guy for the job?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Its more hopefull thinking. I guess it will depend how big the public backlash from the loss will be. Since the group stage was pretty good, it will probably not be big enough.

I don't think there will be much of a difference with another guy. I'm a coach myself, not icehockey but another teamsports. The influence you have during a game is so limited sometime.
And rosterwise there isn't much he could have done differently I guess.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
this was a perfect example how important goaltending is. swiss don't have good goalkeepers since years

Reactions: Czechboy

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I don't think there will be much of a difference with another guy. I'm a coach myself, not icehockey but another teamsports. The influence you have during a game is so limited sometime.
And rosterwise there isn't much he could have done differently I guess.

Fischer failed to get the team ready for the quarters. They came out not ready in the first period the last two games too and today the same issue. The first line worked significantly better with Kurashev but Fischer insisted on leaving Riat on it. Its not even like the third line with Kurashev played that great since Scherwey went down. Sure the loss isnt on Fischer alone but you can expect the team to have a better gameplan against a team with very good goaltending than just to take volume shots from low danger areas.. A coach can have a huge impact on the outcome of singular games and tournaments. Just look what Jukka Jalonen is doing with Finalnd year in year out, often with worse player material than we had in those tournaments. I wouldnt even question Fischer however if his track record outside the group stage wasnt so bad overall.

I also dont like the "there is no alternative to Fischer" argument. The Czechs just hired Kari Jalonen and are doing fine. And there are some Swiss alternatives like Cereda too. Those are not perfect solutions but sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

this was a perfect example how important goaltending is. swiss don't have good goalkeepers since years

Genoni used to be good up until a few years ago but he has been on the decline internationally for a couple of seasons now. Whoever coaches the next WC needs to build up JVP and maybe Schmid sooner than later as the coming tandem.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
That 2nd period seige by the Swiss had me nervous not gonna lie. US as a team just kept Switzerland on the outside when they had the puck In the offensive zone. Didn’t have a ton of open looks. And the US stayed out of the box for the most part.

That high stick call on Hartman was atrocious. Overall I thought the refs did a good job today. Go USA!!!

Reactions: jj cale

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I couldn't watch the game ... i saw the highlights ..
i am happy i did something better than watch that game.
HORROR goals (first two !!)

next year ...maybe.
Better to win a real WC ... when Russians will be back.
we have to win the real one. :)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

who do you want as new coach?

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Doesn't matter. Fischers friends in the federation already confirmed that he will stay in office. Stupid old boys club.
Since it is a message board I would still be interested who you would put in the seat and is also a realistic option. I am not all for keeping Fischer but genuinely intersted who would take the job and offer a good alternative.

Can't blame the goalie, when you score 0 goals.
Definatley not the biggest part why we lost but you can also not juts ignore the fact that we had 3 goalies play in this tournament and none of them is above 90%, this is not how you win important hockey games. The current generation is by far the best we have ever had but without good goaltending this won't matter much and I also worry about it in the near future.

Reactions: paragon

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If the 0-2 doesn't happen it might be a different game. And that goal is on Genoni, no question.
But it's time to throw in new guys on this position, too. It's not that there aren't any options.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Since it is a message board I would still be interested who you would put in the seat and is also a realistic option. I am not all for keeping Fischer but genuinely intersted who would take the job and offer a good alternative.

I don't have an ideal solution but you could put names like Luca Cereda or Dan Tanges in the ring. I have no idea if they would be interested in the job but I think both are better and more versatile coaches than Fischer. Other than that there are always some good scandinavian coaches looking for a job. The Czechs just hired Kari Jalonen for example and are looking better and better in this tournament. You don't have to like Jalones hockey from an entertainment perspective but you can't deny him his success he had on multiple levels. If the federation had fired Fischer after the olympics I would say there would have been a good chance to hire him. The whole narrative that the only alternative to Fischer would be a Glen Hanlon level coach is jut not valid in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad