What's Your Prediction for Athanasiou's Future?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He certainly does when he is getting the minutes. Whenever he got 18 minutes or so this year his numbers were great. I get that he can be inconsistent but he also has such a short leash that when he has a bad period or game blashill cuts his minutes instantly and affects his game. Some of that is on AA but a lot is on blashill imo
I don't mean to single you out, but here's why I disagree with this argument (that multiple fans have made):

Can we safely say that, for games when AA plays less than 18 minutes, that he's still hustling and doing all the right things?

I would say no. I would say that it's not a matter of, he's frequently playing well, and a bad coach is hampering his development. It's more that, he's frequently playing like he doesn't deserve 18 minutes, but on the occasions where he does match skill with effort, he gets rewarded with more ice time.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Same as it's always been; One of the laziest 40-50 point players in the league but will have a handful of people who think he can be a superstar because, well, he's just so gosh darn fast! And wowie, look at that highlight goal from 25 games ago! Too bad he's as smart as the empty beer cans on some shit men's D league bench.

Get whatever you can for AA and let him go elsewhere and pout about how he deserves more ice time over people who skate hard every shift.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sadly probably traded to a playoff team this coming year for like a 2nd+3rd or just one of the aforementioned picks if he doesn't produce 40+ points.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Same as it's always been; One of the laziest 40-50 point players in the league but will have a handful of people who think he can be a superstar because, well, he's just so gosh darn fast! And wowie, look at that highlight goal from 25 games ago! Too bad he's as smart as the empty beer cans on some **** men's D league bench.
He's got hockey IQ. He has no work ethic. Maybe he's not as smart as Larkin but he's not a dummy either. It is very much his work ethic that is holding him back.

A 40 point player with his minutes and his work ethic could be a superstar if he actually worked harder every game. If he worked harder, he'd get more minutes, more PP time, better linemates. If he worked harder he'd cause more turnovers, draw more penalties, get more takeaways. A guy that fast should be stripping opponents of the puck left and right. He doesn't. He could be a star. I think he probably won't be because of his attitude.

I think it's fairly clear he could be a star though. He has all the tools. He just doesn't work for it.

Reactions: Oddbob

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don't mean to single you out, but here's why I disagree with this argument (that multiple fans have made):

Can we safely say that, for games when AA plays less than 18 minutes, that he's still hustling and doing all the right things?

I would say no. I would say that it's not a matter of, he's frequently playing well, and a bad coach is hampering his development. It's more that, he's frequently playing like he doesn't deserve 18 minutes, but on the occasions where he does match skill with effort, he gets rewarded with more ice time.
I agree partially but not fully. AA can go 8-10 games or so playing very well and playing 18 minutes a game, then he can have a bad game/bad period and be demoted. To me if I was putting myself in his shoes would make me feel like everything I gained (responsibility, ice time, linemates) is lost so easily and quickly. Is part of it on AA? Absolutely he needs to be more consistent and learn to battle through, but I can tell you not everyone can do that so easily. It’s the coaches job to know his players and how to treat certain guys, and to me blashill is doing a bad job with AA on that

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He's got hockey IQ. He has no work ethic. Maybe he's not as smart as Larkin but he's not a dummy either. It is very much his work ethic that is holding him back.

A 40 point player with his minutes and his work ethic could be a superstar if he actually worked harder every game. If he worked harder, he'd get more minutes, more PP time, better linemates. If he worked harder he'd cause more turnovers, draw more penalties, get more takeaways. A guy that fast should be stripping opponents of the puck left and right. He doesn't. He could be a star. I think he probably won't be because of his attitude.

I think it's fairly clear he could be a star though. He has all the tools. He just doesn't work for it.

In my mind he's a third to fourth tier player.

First tier are players that are elite and make everyone around them better. Think Lidstrom, Yzerman from the Wings and Crosby, McDavid from the current league. These players make Chris Kunitz's of the league look like top line players.

Second tier are the players that are elite but don't really affect their line mates a ton. Think Brett Hull and Ovie. They can create tons offense, but they aren't making people around them look like stars.

Third/fourth tier are the secondary players. The ones that need good line mates to be worth anything. This is where AA falls. They are either goal scorers who don't score without a good center, or a center who needs a great finisher. These players aren't stars, they make up the bulk of forwards and defensemen in the NHL. And AA fits firmly in this space.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you say so.

I've seen some good playmaking and passes from him. The problem is he's always looking to be the one who's fed the puck instead of the other way around, which stems from his work ethic. He's always trying to fly the zone for a breakaway. He could be driving the puck and the play with his speed and distributing it. He's done it before.

Reactions: Bench

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
QDP

MOD His point is that Blashill has seen pretty obvious improvement in young players that have committed and put in the effort to better themselves. Larkin and Bertuzzi were wired to be max effort guys when they came in, but Mantha was not. Mantha and Blashill have found a process that works for them, and as he has shown improvement, he has earned Blashill's trust. Every indication we've seen is that Athanasiou just won't buy in, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be held to a different standard.

Blashill is highly regarded by every hockey mind that he comes in contact with, he has won at every level to this point, and the young players looked at to be the future of this organization are all showing signs of improvement. If you think this team underperformed because of coaching, then you must also believe that a different coach would have them in the playoffs. And if you believe that, then we just have a fundamental disagreement on multiple levels from AA to Blashill to the state of the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Knock it off with the personnel insults and mocking tones. Really goes for all posts around here. If you cannot be civil or if the post reads like an attack don't post it.

We are here to discuss the Red Wings not take juvenile shots at each other. Infractions will follow for those that cannot practice forum rules.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
MOD His point is that Blashill has seen pretty obvious improvement in young players that have committed and put in the effort to better themselves. Larkin and Bertuzzi were wired to be max effort guys when they came in, but Mantha was not. Mantha and Blashill have found a process that works for them, and as he has shown improvement, he has earned Blashill's trust. Every indication we've seen is that Athanasiou just won't buy in, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be held to a different standard.

Blashill is highly regarded by every hockey mind that he comes in contact with, he has won at every level to this point, and the young players looked at to be the future of this organization are all showing signs of improvement. If you think this team underperformed because of coaching, then you must also believe that a different coach would have them in the playoffs. And if you believe that, then we just have a fundamental disagreement on multiple levels from AA to Blashill to the state of the franchise.
MOD
I never said a different coach would have us in the playoffs did I? It is fine that he has won everywhere else and hockey minds like him, that does not mean it is working here does it? If you are going to sit here and say you could not see it on every players face that they do not trust in the system in place and the things going on then yes we have very different opinions of this team. The only thing he is doing here is getting us higher picks. Again as for AA let him walk or get what you can for him as just like a coach he is not working out here.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think AA is going to be what he is - a streaky, middle6 forward who can put up points in bunches or go cold for long stretches. Unless we trade him away, then he'll find his game while whatever crap we get for him will be shipped to the Sabres at some point before slipping from the league entirely.

On the Blashill front, I think he's competent but I don't think he uses what he has very well. This team can't play his system. For long stretches this year they looked like disorganized crap. A good coach shouldn't be able to get them into the playoffs - at least not without some luck - but they should more consistently appear to have a clue.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You don't build around AA, I think that's the bottom line. If you can't retain him cheap, there's little reason to bend at all. Trade him, if he's wanting a new team.

As a secondary player, you could do a lot worse. He's dangerous in the transition.

Reactions: jkutswings
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think AA wants to be in
Detroit anymore, honestly. I'm expecting a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if AA's gameplan was to wait for Blashill to get fired and then try again with another coach. Obviously, that's not happening. And all this time, I think Detroit was hoping Anthony Mantha would set an example for how you should take criticism. Well, he has, but AA doesn't seem very interested in taking the Mantha approach.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You don't build around AA, I think that's the bottom line. If you can't retain him cheap, there's little reason to bend at all. Trade him, if he's wanting a new team.

As a secondary player, you could do a lot worse. He's dangerous in the transition.
Every team wants players like AA though. As a depth scorer, he's fantastic. His g/60 numbers are elite, he draws penalties, he can make gamebreaking plays. There's a lot of upside to keeping him around even if he's not a building block. There's also the potential downside of trading him which is that he goes to, say, Vegas and becomes a William Karlsson story.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Every team wants players like AA though. As a depth scorer, he's fantastic. His g/60 numbers are elite, he draws penalties, he can make game breaking plays. There's a lot of upside to keeping him around even if he's not a building block. There's also the potential downside of trading him which is that he goes to, say, Vegas and becomes a William Karlsson story.

William Karlsson actually plays hard all the time. You are kind of making it sound like AA gives a great effort 8 out 10 games and gets demoted with 1 or 2 bad games in that stretch. Reality is he has maybe 1 or 2 games with great effort, 2 or 3 with average effort, and at least 5 of every 10 it looks like he doesn't have any desire to be out there at all. This is why he is so frustrating! If he at least was scoring pts in big bunches when he was going good, then it becomes less an issue, but he will have a 2 game stretch with 3 goals 1 assist, and then spend the next 15-20 with the same amount of offence. That makes you a dispensable part on pretty much every team, which is why Tatar and Nyquist are not things are team needs either. These kind of players are only of value on a team like Pittsburgh and similar teams, that have 1 or more Franchise Players or close to it, driving the bus and AA and similar can ride their coattails.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
William Karlsson actually plays hard all the time. You are kind of making it sound like AA gives a great effort 8 out 10 games and gets demoted with 1 or 2 bad games in that stretch. Reality is he has maybe 1 or 2 games with great effort, 2 or 3 with average effort, and at least 5 of every 10 it looks like he doesn't have any desire to be out there at all. .
I mean it's not like Karlsson was playing amazing every game previously in his career, otherwise he wouldn't have been traded from Anaheim and been so low on Columbus priority list of protected players.
AA does have a very uneven effort level, which is the entire reason he's a depth scorer. My point was that he's still a very valuable depth scorer because in those games where he gives an actual effort he can make plays very few other players can. You don't really get cheap 3rd liners with high-end talent that give great effort in 8 out of 10 games, because those players become expensive top 6 scorers. When AA is "on" he can creat offense out of nothing, this is a very valuable trait in today's NHL. As a 3rd liner, he can score goals at the same rate/60 as the elite players in the league. This creates awesome value on a roster.
And with him there will always be the "what if". What if he starts giving a better effort in more games? Giving up on a 23 year old because you think he has no room to improve is exactly how you lose a William Karlsson or a Markus Naslund who break out at a later age.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
MOD
I never said a different coach would have us in the playoffs did I? It is fine that he has won everywhere else and hockey minds like him, that does not mean it is working here does it? If you are going to sit here and say you could not see it on every players face that they do not trust in the system in place and the things going on then yes we have very different opinions of this team. The only thing he is doing here is getting us higher picks. Again as for AA let him walk or get what you can for him as just like a coach he is not working out here.

But by saying it isn't working out with Blashill here you must have some standard or level of expectation that you are holding him too. If you're going by "the looks on every player's face," I don't think you have an argument that is defensible. Wouldn't you have the same look on your face if you realized that most nights you are outmatched from a talent perspective? Not working out means that he is falling short of his duties, and the primary duties of a coach are what, to win games and develop his players and team? You're not acknowledging that his job involves player development and that he's done a pretty good job at it recently, so you must be talking about the system and the team's win-loss performance. I personally don't see a different coach improving where the team stands at the end of the day, so I am in no hurry to run him out of town.

I hope and pray that Athanasiou figures out what he needs to be a consistent player, and I hope that Blashill is the one who is able to facilitate the growth as a player. With AA, I think this coming year is going to be his best chance to claim the role he wants, and his last chance to prove that there is more than what we have seen. Otherwise, I expect him to be gone. If at the end of the year things have held pretty stagnant and we decide to not extend Blashill, so be it. These are two guys I am in no rush to force out, but will have no issue if they have run their course in Detroit.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think AA wants to be in
Detroit anymore, honestly. I'm expecting a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if AA's gameplan was to wait for Blashill to get fired and then try again with another coach. Obviously, that's not happening. And all this time, I think Detroit was hoping Anthony Mantha would set an example for how you should take criticism. Well, he has, but AA doesn't seem very interested in taking the Mantha approach.
I mean it might happen.

Blash only has this one year left. If AA gets signed for 2 years of course he might see a new coach. If even signs for just 1 year he might see a new coach during the offseason and maybe he signs again.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Not going to guess on AA's future but I do hope we hold on to him. The talent is obviously there and I think he can be a very impactful player. The only element, I feel thats missing is maturity really. That might come as he gets a bit older. I'd rather the management try and attach him to one of the veterans and hope he learns that a winning a game takes more than flash. Besides, he doesn't need to give up his flash to be a more effective player either.

Reactions: waltdetroit

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I'm just going to throw this out there as this thought just popped into my head. In the event management is leaning toward trading him, for defense primarily, but should it be a forward, would anyone take a flier on Elias Lindholm?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm just going to throw this out there as this thought just popped into my head. In the event management is leaning toward trading him, for defense primarily, but should it be a forward, would anyone take a flier on Elias Lindholm?

Let me preface this by saying the rumors about Carolina being open to trade anyone not named Aho sounds like a load of BS, especially with how bad their depth is at center. If for some reason they are looking to trade Lindholm, my gut tells me that it's gonna cost quite a bit more than AA. I think Lindholm is the better player, with less warts, with a more complete game.

I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up, but if you're saying I can get Lindolm for AA and a small plus, I would want to see what my options are in defensemen for the same package. If it's someone in the similar age range, probably a middle pair, does a little of everything defenseman, I would go that route. And this would be a contingency that I couldn't get a different player in age range with higher projections by trading a high pick, like the Vegas pick, with AA.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Holland & Blashill did everything they possibly could to get fired, and the idiocy of ownership turned a blind eye to it all, therefore, there is zero hope of anything for anyone regarding the future as long as that failed system of people are still in place, sadly. :facepalm:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Holland & Blashill did everything they possibly could to get fired, and the idiocy of ownership turned a blind eye to it all, therefore, there is zero hope of anything for anyone regarding the future as long as that failed system of people are still in place, sadly. :facepalm:
When will Red Wing fans learn that there isn't a single coach in the world that will help the Red Wings win games in the state they are in.

“My message to AA was as a coach you have to know what you’re getting every single shift and the growth in him is going to be to learn to work and compete every shift. If I’m guessing whether or not he’s going to work and compete, it’s hard to keep putting him out there because I don’t know what I’m getting. So that consistency level and work ethic and compete is going to be critical for AA.”

www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/05/16/detroit-red-wings-athanasiou-trade/615081002/

Blashill can't be any more clear to AA. Work for your IT and I'll give it to you. Not Jeff's fault AA would rather do circles until he can try and get a breakway. Beer league at it's finest.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Let me preface this by saying the rumors about Carolina being open to trade anyone not named Aho sounds like a load of BS, especially with how bad their depth is at center. If for some reason they are looking to trade Lindholm, my gut tells me that it's gonna cost quite a bit more than AA. I think Lindholm is the better player, with less warts, with a more complete game.

I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up, but if you're saying I can get Lindolm for AA and a small plus, I would want to see what my options are in defensemen for the same package. If it's someone in the similar age range, probably a middle pair, does a little of everything defenseman, I would go that route. And this would be a contingency that I couldn't get a different player in age range with higher projections by trading a high pick, like the Vegas pick, with AA.

Ya just because they're open for business doesn't mean they're in fire sale mode.

They'll only make a trade if they're clear winners. Meaning itll be like aa, nyquist and more would be my guess.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
When will Red Wing fans learn that there isn't a single coach in the world that will help the Red Wings win games in the state they are in.

“My message to AA was as a coach you have to know what you’re getting every single shift and the growth in him is going to be to learn to work and compete every shift. If I’m guessing whether or not he’s going to work and compete, it’s hard to keep putting him out there because I don’t know what I’m getting. So that consistency level and work ethic and compete is going to be critical for AA.”

www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/05/16/detroit-red-wings-athanasiou-trade/615081002/

Blashill can't be any more clear to AA. Work for your IT and I'll give it to you. Not Jeff's fault AA would rather do circles until he can try and get a breakway. Beer league at it's finest.

Regarding AA, I couldn't agree more with you [and many others]. He definitely has a history of having issues with coaches (ala Dale Hunter in London). It's too bad 'cause he has so much talent, I wish his in game work ethic matched it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad