What's Your Prediction for Athanasiou's Future?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There's been speculation regarding AA that seems to span both ends of the spectrum, from "They'll probably move him" to "He'll be easier to re-sign this summer".

What do you want to see happen, or what do you predict will happen with AA before next season.

About the only foregone conclusion is that he'll get qualified to become an RFA.

Beyond that:

Does he get traded? If so, when, where to and what for?
Does he request a trade?
Does the team file for "team elected arbitration"?
Does AA file player elected arbitration?
What does each party (Red Wings vs. Ferris/AA) offer or demand?
Does he hold out again?
If he does re-sign or get a contract through arbitration, how much money/term does he get?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
According to things i have heard, I cant imagine AA will be in detroit for a very long time.

AA is big / fast / and has hands.

He has all the physical makeup to be just as good as Larkin...
He needs to work harder.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think he'll go to arbitration (player elected) and get a 1 year deal for about $2 million. I don't think AA nor the team want him around long-term so I'll say he gets moved at the deadline to a team looking for speedy secondary scoring. My guess is AA + VGK 2nd for contender's 1st + high risk, high potential D prospect that's close to getting an NHL look, but still has some question marks. The average of Saarijarvi and Hronek.

If he's traded this summer it would have to be at the draft. In that context I'd say the deal would be similar. AA + VGK 1st for 15-20 + D prospect. There would have to be someone we liked at that pick to justify the move-up.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
My thought is that he will be easier to re-sign because of arbitration. It will be player elected arbitration, that will bite Athanasiou in the ass due to stagnant performance. Ken Holland will give him something while AA will go a bit too aggressive to win arbitration. Regardless of where it falls, it will be the minimum term needed to carry him to UFA status at which point he will sign the highest paying contract with a team that just can't get it together, like Montreal, and he will see an uptick in total performance but all of his rates drop with a more ice time (P/60, PPG, Corsi) to the dismay of his current supporters.

That's just how his entire career has been trending. It's not what I hope will happen, but that just feels how things are destined to end up.

On a less serious note, the alternate reality is that Athanasiou becomes the next William Karlsson somehow because the Wings give up AA to Seattle when they have their expansion draft and he makes our entire fan base cry a little with each of the 30+ goals he scores in his first year.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I assume he leaves as soon as he can get out; I don't think he wants to be here a minute longer than he's forced to be. I'd think he's smart enough to know that arbitration won't be kind to him, but after the hold out last year, who knows.

I'd assume, eventually, he gets traded, rather than leaving for nothing in FA, but I imagine anyone thinking 2nd or better will be disappointed in the return.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Would not be surprised if he's moved at the draft along with our two seconds to get another pick in the 12-16 range if a player the Wings like falls.

At this point, I think the Organization and AA think it's best to move on sooner rather than later. Shame too, because his teammates seem to like him, but the Wings brass are a bit prude when it comes to Egos, and it's clear Blash and him have mutual dislike for each other

Reactions: rhef3

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Seems like a player that could have a very long career in the NHL if he just got his act together. Hopefully that comes with age. I don't think he gets traded until he's close to hitting his UFA years. By then they'll know what type of player he is.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he won't be a star,drama aside i've always felt his hockey sense would hold him back from that

I think long term he can be a guy with great skating that puts up goals from anywhere in the lineup and is a weapon on the PK(basically a "helm with hands")

I think the Wings end up trading him for peanuts and it will be a real shame to see that happen due to what ultimately boils down to not clicking with a terrible coach

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Tatar destiny.

Signed for multi-years, traded before UFA age.

Just for clarification:

AA is 4 years from being eligible to hit the UFA market. Tatar became an RFA at the same point in his career, and signed a 3 year bridge deal that took him to his last RFA eligible offseason before signing his current deal. Then technically was traded AFTER hitting "UFA age".

Are you saying:

A. You want to sign AA to a bridge deal and then extend him into his UFA years (Like they did with Tatar)

Or B. You want to sign AA to a 4+ year deal that takes him into UFA status, but trade him before it expires?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think the Wings end up trading him for peanuts and it will be a real shame to see that happen due to what ultimately boils down to not clicking with a terrible coach

IMO, if they got a 3rd for Jurco after he sat most of the season in the pressbox as well as a 3rd for Sheahan coming off an infamously terrible season, they'll get more than simply "peanuts" for AA.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just for clarification:

AA is 4 years from being eligible to hit the UFA market. Tatar became an RFA at the same point in his career, and signed a 3 year bridge deal that took him to his last RFA eligible offseason before signing his current deal. Then technically was traded AFTER hitting "UFA age".

Are you saying:

A. You want to sign AA to a bridge deal and then extend him into his UFA years (Like they did with Tatar)

Or B. You want to sign AA to a 4+ year deal that takes him into UFA status, but trade him before it expires?

I just want to deal him before his free agency, when he is gonna bolt away anyways. Just make a value-to-value trade, to get chance for longer term value.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I think this goes to arbitration and they agree on a one year deal between 1.8-2 million. Then AA with a full training camp and starting the season with exhibition games under his belt proves many people wrong and has a successful year. I'm expecting 20 goals and 45 points and less distractions. It wasn't too long ago people had him in the same category as Larkin and Mantha as untouchables. We all agree he had an off year, but he still put up numbers with a low shooting percentage last year and still was 2nd and tied for 3rd in goals for us the last two years. I really hope they don't get rid of him because at 23 he has plenty of years to haunt the Wings...

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I believe he will be traded. Hopefully for a 2nd by himself or a first with a second included from us. Or for a 2nd pair defenseman.

With that said I also would not be surprised if they keep him either. If they see him as a top 6 forward we could realistically have our top 6 solidified here in the next year or 2 with still having nielson and z on the 3rd line.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think this goes to arbitration and they agree on a one year deal between 1.8-2 million. Then AA with a full training camp and starting the season with exhibition games under his belt proves many people wrong and has a successful year. I'm expecting 20 goals and 45 points and less distractions. It wasn't too long ago people had him in the same category as Larkin and Mantha as untouchables. We all agree he had an off year, but he still put up numbers with a low shooting percentage last year and still was 2nd and tied for 3rd in goals for us the last two years. I really hope they don't get rid of him because at 23 he has plenty of years to haunt the Wings...

AA has never been untouchable to the organization though, they have consistently said the price would be high... That is it, i.e. he has been available this entire time, they have had open dialogue with other teams on AA this entire time from what I have heard. Don't confuse a bunch of fans with the organization, they haven't treated him like a true core player just yet, but a good young player.

I would be surprised if AA is a member of the Wings at this time next year, I expect him to be gone by next years draft at the latest. They might give him one more year to snap to it and put in the necessary work. He has enough tools, the Wings certainly recognize that, but he has entitlement issues and work ethic issues. You get tired of that, but coming off a very mediocre season they might decide to gamble on his value being better at the deadline or next years draft at the latest. I can see the logic giving him one more year, I worry about his impact on Mantha and Larkin which is why I would deal him next month if I was the Wings, but perhaps they find a little more value hanging on just a little bit longer or a Nyquist deal gives them confidence to hold onto him.

I will say this, I hope the center experiment is over, he doesn't work hard enough or have enough hockey IQ to be in the middle. I don't care what him or his agent want, he isn't good at that role.

We have to have the draft to get an honest feel. If they draft a winger at #6, AA will be dealt immediately in my opinion.

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
AA is an anomaly of sorts. I like him as a player. He can skate and score. I think he just doesn't click with Blash or he doesn't fit into his system. If AA was paired with an Adam Oates level setup man, he'd be lighting it up.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think the bigger point here is not AA rather a coach not many of the players like or have trust in being kept around. You don't cut off the nose to spite your face. The coach is a problem with the whole team they just don't work with each other. I say keep the kids ditch Trash and see what a new staff can do with this team going forward.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the bigger point here is not AA rather a coach not many of the players like or have trust in being kept around. You don't cut off the nose to spite your face. The coach is a problem with the whole team they just don't work with each other. I say keep the kids ditch Trash and see what a new staff can do with this team going forward.

Except the three other players took major steps forward this year. The only one that took their bigger role and fumbled was AA. After making a huge show of his contract and after having a history of trying to play his own way and doing what he wants. And his end of season his comments to the press showed he had no ability to take responsibility for his poor production.

I have no idea how people can call Blashill out this season. This team was going to finish at the bottom no matter how you cut it. But, under him Larkin had 63 points, Mantha had 24 goals, and little Bert was 0.5 ppg. And to say the players don't trust or like him is just baseless. Unless you have proof that the players don't like him quit trying to shift blame away from AA and onto others.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he gets a 1 or 2 year deal, gets traded shortly after and has a brief hot streak, with his new team, where all the talk is about how we messed up, and everyone is all down about it. Then AA's true colours show up and he finishes with another 30 ish pt season and many many nights where his new teams fans and coaches are asking where is the EFFORT!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It's a little weird because I'm not a huge fan of Blashill or Holland, but I'm still not on Athanasiou's side. I think he'll get traded fast.

For his long-term future though, I see him working at a carnival guessing weight or some such.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I want him here unless he can fetch us a good d-man. He plays exactly the way the new nhl is going. Speed, skill, hands, etc! I really truly believe AA needs to play the center ice position on a skilled third like with maybe a guy like Nielsen on his wing and rass on the other side. Him attacking with speed through the middle portion of the ice is so much more effective then getting the puck on the wing. If I’m the wings I put him in the middle give him pp time and pk time and give him 20 games of good minutes and high responsibility and trust and see how he reacts. I believe in the kid I just feel he can get easily discouraged, but part of that is on blashill as I feel whenever he has a bad game or period he is instantly demoted

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This board has had its share of debates on talent vs hard work in the importance spectrum of an NHL prospect or player. But to me, this season showed what can happen when a player with some talent puts in the work ethic to take some real strides (Larkin) and when a player with some talent chooses not to (Athanasiou).

Maybe AA does figure it out one day. But I'm not banking on it, and I wouldn't have a problem with including him in a trade, if there's a meaningful return.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I want him here unless he can fetch us a good d-man. He plays exactly the way the new nhl is going. Speed, skill, hands, etc! I really truly believe AA needs to play the center ice position on a skilled third like with maybe a guy like Nielsen on his wing and rass on the other side. Him attacking with speed through the middle portion of the ice is so much more effective then getting the puck on the wing. If I’m the wings I put him in the middle give him pp time and pk time and give him 20 games of good minutes and high responsibility and trust and see how he reacts. I believe in the kid I just feel he can get easily discouraged, but part of that is on blashill as I feel whenever he has a bad game or period he is instantly demoted
Today's NHL isn't just about speed on the rush, it's about a relentless forecheck. AA doesn't bring that. Maybe if he figures out he needs to put in some effort he would, but he didn't show it last year.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Today's NHL isn't just about speed on the rush, it's about a relentless forecheck. AA doesn't bring that. Maybe if he figures out he needs to put in some effort he would, but he didn't show it last year.
He certainly does when he is getting the minutes. Whenever he got 18 minutes or so this year his numbers were great. I get that he can be inconsistent but he also has such a short leash that when he has a bad period or game blashill cuts his minutes instantly and affects his game. Some of that is on AA but a lot is on blashill imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->