What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I believe that the posts were self-deleted, which imo is exactly the way this sort of thing should be handled. sometimes you find yourself over the line, and you bring yourself back over it. all is well, no big deal.

Mine was one of them, and in no way did I mean it as a reference to him falling off the wagon. I understand why it was over the line and was deleted. It was an honest blunder on my part, forgetting his past.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anyone else getting the feeling this is going to be Ward-Lehner in the NHL with Darling in the AHL, shy of Raanta hitting the market? There's hints that the Sabres are going to walk from Lehner's arbitration award if it gets to that point so I think they'll try to ship him out before then.

I could see that. Without any inside knowledge, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mrazek also released from Philly as well, and thus an option. If the plan is to keep Darling as a reclamation project, resign Ward as the veteran backup, then my guess is we go with one of the UFAs available this year that is cheap, and not Raanta if he makes UFA or any sort of trade. I don't like this approach, but I can't see them paying Darling $4+M, Ward $3+M, and then a new contract for another $4+M.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I could see that. Without any inside knowledge, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mrazek also released from Philly as well, and thus an option. If the plan is to keep Darling as a reclamation project, resign Ward as the veteran backup, then my guess is we go with one of the UFAs available this year that is cheap, and not Raanta if he makes UFA or any sort of trade. I don't like this approach, but I can't see them paying Darling $4+M, Ward $3+M, and then a new contract for another $4+M.

Everything you says makes sense

But I hate the idea of them picking up a UFA "on the cheap". Goal tending has been such as issue here for so long.

I think if Raanta is available and you think he's the guy, you go for it.

We're not a cap team anyways, it's not like spending 5 million dollars more on goaltending matters (except to Dundon's wallet)

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Anyone else getting the feeling this is going to be Ward-Lehner in the NHL with Darling in the AHL, shy of Raanta hitting the market? There's hints that the Sabres are going to walk from Lehner's arbitration award if it gets to that point so I think they'll try to ship him out before then.
I can definitely see Darling playing in the ahl next year. May be he can improve, if not, we buy him out next offseason. No one is going to take him off our hands without a huge plus.

Lehner is an interesting one. He hasn't performed well in buffalo, but that team has been horrendous since his arrival. How much is on him or is it the team ? I haven't been able to watch a lot of sabres games this year (I'd rather not kill myself) but a change of scenery might give him a boost. I'd still rather go after raanta first then go down the line after that.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
In Lehner's first 2 seasons in Buffalo, he sported a .924 (albeit in 21 games) and a .920 (in 59 games). This season, his save percentage has dipped to .911 in 51 games, but considering how horrific the Sabres have been, that's pretty impressive to me.

He's more proven in the role of a starter than anyone else we've gone after, and you know he's not putting up numbers because he's on a stacked team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I can definitely see Darling playing in the ahl next year. May be he can improve, if not, we buy him out next offseason. No one is going to take him off our hands without a huge plus.

Lehner is an interesting one. He hasn't performed well in buffalo, but that team has been horrendous since his arrival. How much is on him or is it the team ? I haven't been able to watch a lot of sabres games this year (I'd rather not kill myself) but a change of scenery might give him a boost. I'd still rather go after raanta first then go down the line after that.
Lehner's a weird case to me. He's looked shakier then the numbers would indicate to be until this year in Buffalo, but the other side of that is that the team he's been behind has been pure garbage. Frankly he's actually looked better (at least in his games vs us) to me this year then he did last year and yet his numbers are worse. Mind you I'm saying Lehner not as what I want to see happen, but as what I think will likely happen. Personally I'd rather go after Mrazek who's had a season of legitimately solid play as a starter to his credit not too long ago, though he's fallen hard the past 2 years. He was legitimately excellent in the AHL and OHL previously, as well as the WJC, so it's a case of a guy that CAN play at a high level that just for some reason has something in his game that's broken right now. Sometimes that can be fixed, sometimes that can't.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Lehner's a weird case to me. He's looked shakier then the numbers would indicate to be until this year in Buffalo, but the other side of that is that the team he's been behind has been pure garbage. Frankly he's actually looked better (at least in his games vs us) to me this year then he did last year and yet his numbers are worse. Mind you I'm saying Lehner not as what I want to see happen, but as what I think will likely happen. Personally I'd rather go after Mrazek who's had a season of legitimately solid play as a starter to his credit not too long ago, though he's fallen hard the past 2 years. He was legitimately excellent in the AHL and OHL previously, as well as the WJC, so it's a case of a guy that CAN play at a high level that just for some reason has something in his game that's broken right now. Sometimes that can be fixed, sometimes that can't.

Isn't this kind of Darling though too? I mean, he was great as a backup for Chicago and now he's broken and the worst non-plug goalie in the NHL...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Isn't this kind of Darling though too? I mean, he was great as a backup for Chicago and now he's broken and the worst non-plug goalie in the NHL...
yes and no. Darling was never Mrazek's level in juniors/NCAA and frankly was rather meh in the SPHL and ECHL. He was solid in the AHL though never even really had a starters workload at the NHL or even AHL level before this year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Guys like Lehner and Mrazek might be what they're going for, and I could live with them over Darling I guess, but that's not where my mind went immediately. For one, with Waddell saying he'd like to bring in three guys to fight for two positions, I'm not sure why those guys would sign up for that. I was thinking more of a slightly more proven AHL guy that what we have in Ned on a two way or cheap NHL contract, or some kind of European goalie that might be okay with some playing time in the AHL if Darling outperforms them in camp next year.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
So I got around to listening to that Waddell interview with Adam Gold... he was pretty noncommittal through the whole thing nut Waddell pretty much came out and said Darling wasn't in shape coming to camp this summer. That is very disappointing and not encouraging that he will improve. It also could shed some light on the idea that the team didn't or maybe didn't want to perform in front of him

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Dansk to me is one of those guys that looked like they had everything but just fell completely flat in the pros right out of juniors. I mean they legitimately looked like the next elite prospect for a while. Goalies are frigin voodoo man.

He went 3-0-0 for us against quality teams, then got injured with a 2-2 score. We never saw him in net again.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sold on Mrazek over Ward, but over Darling 100% absolutely yes.

Can't say I'd mind us mining the Euro UFA market for a goalie as well, though the downside of that is that it's going on the cheap with a lesser proven option and runs a much higher risk probability of our goaltending once again being a total dumpster fire instead of simply being "meh".

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
At this point, anything we can do to grab Grubauer (short of Aho, Necas, Slavin), I'm willing to consider. Seems like the perfect opportunity: he's been the Caps de facto starter for the last month, has had great numbers for his career, still an RFA so some contractual leverage for the team so we don't have to go too long on term, and the Caps can't afford to keep him and Holtby when they have another great prospect waiting in the wings and cap trouble.

Assuming we don't win the draft lottery, then start talking to the Caps about a draft day trade. If there is a run on the forwards projected in our range and all the defensive prospects slide, we can send them our 1st for Grubauer. Or we can send them maybe Fleury and our 2nd instead. See what they are interested in.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
At this point, anything we can do to grab Grubauer (short of Aho, Necas, Slavin), I'm willing to consider. Seems like the perfect opportunity: he's been the Caps de facto starter for the last month, has had great numbers for his career, still an RFA so some contractual leverage for the team so we don't have to go too long on term, and the Caps can't afford to keep him and Holtby when they have another great prospect waiting in the wings and cap trouble.

Assuming we don't win the draft lottery, then start talking to the Caps about a draft day trade. If there is a run on the forwards projected in our range and all the defensive prospects slide, we can send them our 1st for Grubauer. Or we can send them maybe Fleury and our 2nd instead. See what they are interested in.

Since Schneider was the last goalie traded for a top-10 pick, I think it is fair to compare their 3 years as a backup prior to trade:

Schneider:
SeasonTeamLgeGPMinGASVSOGAAWLOTLPct
2010-11Vancouver Canucks NHL2513725166312.2316420.929
2011-12Vancouver CanucksNHL3318336088531.9620810.937
2012-13Vancouver CanucksNHL3017336177452.1117940.927
884938172 232292.0953217 0.931
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Grubauer:

SeasonTeamLgeGPMinGASVSOGAAWLOTLPct
2015-16Washington CapitalsNHL2211034348002.348910.918
2016-17Washington CapitalsNHL2312634354232.0413620.926
2017-18Washington CapitalsNHL3116286277432.2912930.926
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For being the Capitals current de-facto starter it concerning he is only 12-9-3 on the year. Overall the Caps are 43-24-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille