What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
According to a recent Chip article, Darling just bought a house in Raleigh to "put down roots."

Too bad they're planted in salted earth.

5YgYF3g.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
According to a recent Chip article, Darling just bought a house in Raleigh to "put down roots."

Too bad they're planted in salted earth.
hard to put down roots when the tree is already dead.

Its gotten to the point where I intentionally find something else to do when I find out he's starting in goal. He's such a complete disaster that putting him out on the ice is effectively telling anyone that you've already given up on this game and its not worth watching. If he's still on the roster next year, and not cut or buried in the minors, the chances are incredibly high that I'll probably check out on them before the first puck drops.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is he that oblivious that he's likely not going to be on this team next year? Or is it we are the oblivious ones and he's going to find a way to still be on this team next year?
I'll be honest, I'll have one hell of a hard time being a fan of the team and not requesting a refund on my season tickets next year if he's in fact back. Because if Darling is back that shows proof positive that the team has absolutely zero intention of competing for a playoff spot next year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Is he that oblivious that he's likely not going to be on this team next year? Or is it we are the oblivious ones and he's going to find a way to still be on this team next year?
I want it to be the former, I'm pretty sure it is the latter. As I see it, here are the options the team has for goal-tending next year:

1. Keep Darling; resign Ward as backup. - the sunk cost, known-quantity option ($$)
  2. Keep Darling; sign UFA backup. - the sunk cost, try something new option ($)
  3. Keep Darling (as backup); sign UFA starter. - the sunk cost, need something better option ($$$)
  4. Keep Darling (bury in minors); resign Ward as backup; sign UFA starter. - the sunk cost, known-quantity, we need to fix this option ($$$$)
  5. Keep Darling (bury in minors); sign UFA starter; sign UFA backup. - the sunk cost, we need to fix this, we need more than one chance to fix this option ($$$$)
  6. Keep Darling (bury in minors); resign Ward as starter; sign UFA as backup. - the sunk cost, where does he keep the pictures, just in case option ($$$$)
  7. Keep Darling (bury in minors); resign Ward as backup; trade for starter. - the sunk cost, nostalgia, we WILL fix this option ($$$$$$)
  8. Keep Darling (bury in minors); resign Ward as starter; bring up Ned as backup. - the sunk cost, where does he keep the pictures, oh God JR is back option ($$)
  9. Buyout Darling; sign UFA backup; sign UFA starter. - the I hope you got a good realtor, try something new, even a blind squirrel finds a nut option ($$$$$)
  10. Buyout Darling; sign UFA backup; trade for starter. - the good riddance, good by, and good team option. ($$$$$$$)

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
This last stretch of games here recently Ward and Darling have looked about the same level. Most of these games through this season i cant differentiate the level of play between darling and any other player on this team. Aho is the only player i see give 110% every time he hits the ice. The point im trying to make is this team minus darling has still looked like a dumpster fire, so is he as well as some others not deserving of a chance to reset this off season and try to reestablish himself next season. He came into a situation where this is all new to him. I don't think its fair to write him off , especially when he was playing fantastic in CHI. You don't just lose that level of play over night. I think it's all mental with him and the team in front of him certainly isn't helping.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
No, unless we're talking about trying to re-establish his level of play in Charlotte before coming back up for a few games to see if he has it at the NHL level he absolutely is not entitled to the chance to re-establish his level of play from Chicago. He's had a 30+ game sample size to try to do that already and hasn't gotten it done. The only thing that's happened is that his mechanics have consistently stayed putrid, his puck tracking has been league worst levels all year, and his body language and mental play has gotten worse and worse. Say what you will of Ward the past few games, the team was playing at a better then 100 point clip with him in net this season until this latest stretch. When the other option is so bad that the team can't make the playoffs despite having a guy playing at that kind of pace, the only option is to ditch the guy that was dragging the team down and trying over with something else. The only debate is whether that's in Charlotte or whether that should be on the free agency dumping ground via buyout.

We flat out can not go in to next year with a guy who quite literally played this team out of a playoff spot this season projected to be a mainstay for this team. Can not happen. The only 3 teams that played at a worst pace then Darling has played with us are Colorado last year when they were the leagues laughing stock, and Buffalo when they were literally tanking for McDavid, and Arizona the Matthews year. That's it, that's literally f***ing it. That's how god damn BAD Darling has been. Scott Darling this year has been, BY FAR, the worst season by a goalie this literal decade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->