Speculation: What's Ronnie up to?

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
I wonder if MSL would have any interest in continuing his NHL career in Carolina.

For St. Louis, Raleigh to CT is not that long of a plane ride and he would get to stay in the Metro division. I think he'd get plenty of playing time with the Canes, presumably as the top line RW.

For Carolina, unlike most quality UFAs, St. Louis would not require a long-term commitment. He had a disappointing playoff, but that was coming off of a very solid regular season performance. Being a skilled, playmaking RW, I think St. Louis would nicely compliment Eric and Jordan.

Pick up another former Canes killer? The one we just bought out did well his first year, as long as we don't give him a five year extension:sarcasm:, we'll be fine. Real talk, his age is obviously a concern but I'd go for it. Doubt he'd go here over Pitt or NYI though.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I wonder if MSL would have any interest in continuing his NHL career in Carolina.

For St. Louis, Raleigh to CT is not that long of a plane ride and he would get to stay in the Metro division. I think he'd get plenty of playing time with the Canes, presumably as the top line RW.

For Carolina, unlike most quality UFAs, St. Louis would not require a long-term commitment. He had a disappointing playoff, but that was coming off of a very solid regular season performance. Being a skilled, playmaking RW, I think St. Louis would nicely compliment Eric and Jordan.

I'd be happy to bring him aboard, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think teams like Devils, Pens, Isles, or Flyers got the best shot at him. I think he wants to stick in the north east.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
kessel.gif

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I really think Beauchemin should be a target. Familiar with Wiz, excellent veteran top 4 leader with some offensive prowess. I would pay him what Liles makes and not have any issues with it.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I really think Beauchemin should be a target. Familiar with Wiz, excellent veteran top 4 leader with some offensive prowess. I would pay him what Liles makes and not have any issues with it.

He plays the same side as Wiz, Faulk, and Murphy, and is going to get double what Lilies makes (salary wise, not cap hit).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Thought he used his other hand. The term would be a bit concerning, sure. I just really like the guy

My mistake, he is a lefty. Don't know why I thought otherwise. Even still, he's 35 and going to make more money than I think the Canes are willing to pay for a longer period of time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
One of:

Sekera, Ehrhoff, Martin, or Oduya

One of:

St. Louis, Ward, Frolik, Williams, or Stewart

Trade LA 1st+ for Oshie.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
My mistake, he is a lefty. Don't know why I thought otherwise. Even still, he's 35 and going to make more money than I think the Canes are willing to pay for a longer period of time.

I don't recall who said it, but somebody in the media said he was looking for $15M/3yrs. Which isn't terrible, tbh.

EDIT: It was Whyno, quoting Bob Murray....about what Beauchemin's camp said.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think what is more likely to happen is Francis trading Skinner for Phaneuf and signing a winger like Brad Richardson because of #grits&gravy

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
One of:

Sekera, Ehrhoff, Martin, or Oduya

One of:

St. Louis, Ward, Frolik, Williams, or Stewart

Trade LA 1st+ for Oshie.

Please no. Trade zero high draft picks.

Hopefully RF understands we are not even close to competing next season. Columbus' move made it even more difficult for us. (Saad and Johansen will be fun to watch though)

Get Staal and Ward off the books for max return between now and TDL, continue stockpiling assets and re-load for 16-17 and beyond.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Please no. Trade zero high draft picks.

Hopefully RF understands we are not even close to competing next season. Columbus' move made it even more difficult for us. (Saad and Johansen will be fun to watch though)

Get Staal and Ward off the books for max return between now and TDL, continue stockpiling assets and re-load for 16-17 and beyond.

Sounds good in theory but it won't happen. Buying out Semin is a win-now move, Karmanos doesn't give the OK to throw $14 million in the fire without the intention of the Playoff (and therefore money) ASAP.

Staal and Ward will be signed, because #hcanes. I see virtually no possibility that they walk unless they refuse to sign here.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Sounds good in theory but it won't happen. Buying out Semin is a win-now move, Karmanos doesn't give the OK to throw $14 million in the fire without the intention of the Playoff (and therefore money) ASAP.

Staal and Ward will be signed, because #hcanes. I see virtually no possibility that they walk unless they refuse to sign here.

I'm sorry LSP, but Semin was not bought out to win now, that might be the last reason.

I do agree about Staal/Ward but am hoping for the best...which would be a haul of assets.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm sorry LSP, but Semin was not bought out to win now, that might be the last reason.

I do agree about Staal/Ward but am hoping for the best...which would be a haul of assets.

If their plan was to have another year down year why not just keep Semin? Best case he plays well enough to be traded, worst case he helps the team suck and get a higher pick.

They will use some of the Semin money to bring in players they think can help win now.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If their plan was to have another year down year why not just keep Semin? Best case he plays well enough to be traded, worst case he helps the team suck and get a higher pick.

They will use some of the Semin money to bring in players they think can help win now.

His coach can't stand him
He lied to the GM's face
He's a terrible example for the prospects
Buy in or get lost

Addition by subtraction basically.

We will see today. If we stay quiet, then that speaks volumes. (assuming that what few impact names out there will be gone on Day 1)

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Edit: I meant welcome back geehaad

My apologies if anyone was hoping for Justin Williams. Or Gabe Kaplan...

Found myself visiting the board many times since the draft, and thought what the heck. Enjoyed lurking over the past year or so...you guys always were an entertaining bunch. Enjoying Ronnie's guidance so far, and I'm still guardedly optimistic about Peters...at the very least, he seems to hold players accountable. I'm still bearish on the team while EStaal wears that C on his chest, but maybe if I look hard enough, I'll see light at the end of that tunnel.

Back to the thread, I think someone's hit the nail on the head when they said that Ronnie's got his eye on a player, and we probably won't have to wait long today to hear who it is. And it's my opinion that it will be some sort of solution for that gaping hole at the top-6 RW.

Will it be Justin Williams? Seems like a pretty good fit, as much as we are loathe to see a player recycle through here. Only 33, a RW who charged $3M for 40 points, and probably wouldn't expect any more to come to Raleigh and do the same for the Canes. Would bring some defensive awareness to a line with Skinner and Rask, while being a heads-up player who could help Rask feed Skinner. He's a dream for a head coach who expects players to be accountable, an assistant with whom he's already established a working relationship, and an organization for which he's always been complementary of.

But what do I know. I've forgotten more about hockey in the past umpteen months than I will ever admit to any of you.

PS: good to see that bleed hasn't changed his mind about Faulk. Maybe Williams will bring McBain along with him to bring some of that defense the team so desperately needs. (I have to get that in there...since bleed is so much more wise than I, it will likely be my only battle victory)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
His coach can't stand him
He lied to the GM's face
He's a terrible example for the prospects
Buy in or get lost

Addition by subtraction basically.

We will see today. If we stay quiet, then that speaks volumes. (assuming that what few impact names out there will be gone on Day 1)

What?

And I doubt Peters' "can't stand him". It's probably more likely just differing personalities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad