Speculation: What's Ronnie up to?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
We have gone from hoping Semin can bounce back to provide scoring to hoping Terry/Ryan/Tolchinsky can step up to provide scoring. The first was a 50/50 chance, the latter is wishful thinking at best.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd take Gleason and Sekera, at a reasonable price.

However, I don't think Sekera will be available at a reasonable price, especially not to a team that have no guarantees of being near the playoffs.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Mang Semin's 10 points or whatever will be hard to replace. Sign Dave to league min and hope for a 5 + 10 season

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Dave won't even post in his birthday thread. That guy has some serious question marks surrounding his character. #lockerroomcancer

Oh wait, he brings beer to the games. Fire Staal, make Dave captain.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I forgot who it was but one of Peters or Francis were quoted saying they didn't realize how bad the PK would be become after trading away both of these players.

The Wiz probably won't help in that regard...

If Francis can manage to resign both of these guys AFTER fielding McKeown, 1st, and a 4th, he'll be seen as a genius.

But like I said, I'd be surprised if it happened, especially now given the RW void....

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Because aren't we in the market for another top-4 defender. Ideally that's what Sekera is. Not Gleason. But still, the way Gleas came roaring back was impressive enough for me.

Well yeah, but I don't think they can pay him while still needing a few forwards, plus he seemed fairly happy to move on, no?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
But like I said, I'd be surprised if it happened, especially now given the RW void....

I don't see the issue here. There's a large variety of RW's this year. Ward's a grinder, Frolik's a good two-way forward, Parenteau is a playmaker, Williams is a sniper and a known, and Tlusty is also a known. It's just a matter of which direction Francis and Peters take, it's hard to go wrong with either of these guys.

Now can they afford one of these guys and Sekera? I don't know but we'll see.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Well yeah, but I don't think they can pay him while still needing a few forwards, plus he seemed fairly happy to move on, no?

I wouldn't say that. We just couldn't meet his contract demands at the time. It'll be interesting to see how this Richards contract termination plays out because if it works out in the Kings favor, they should just go ahead and resign Sekera.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
We have gone from hoping Semin can bounce back to provide scoring to hoping Terry/Ryan/Tolchinsky can step up to provide scoring. The first was a 50/50 chance, the latter is wishful thinking at best.

If they believed (or anyone) that Semin was 50/50 to return to form, I doubt the buyout happens.

The reaction to this is appropriate, because it's a big deal. 2.33 dead money for 6 years is a lot. That's not something, I'd think, a team like Carolina would do on a whim.

And Terry/Ryan/Tolchinsky are hopes for 3rd line scoring. Something they can get for 800k, while doing whatever with the 4.66m extra they have from the Semin buyout.

---

Skinner+ LAK 1st + Prospect for Kessel + 2m retained?

Wasn't there something about some bonus being paid tomorrow to Kessel? At 6m a year, it's a wash financially with Skinners contract. They still have a first next year, and they still have the Semin 4.7 to add a dman.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I feel like maybe everyone doesn't realize that Kessel's contract has 7 more years. You guys want back in on a 7 year deal after what we just went thru with Eric?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I feel like maybe everyone doesn't realize that Kessel's contract has 7 more years. You guys want back in on a 7 year deal after what we just went thru with Eric?

7 years at 6m a year for Kessel? Sign me up. I'd take Eric for as long as he wants at 6m a year as well.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
7 years at 6m a year for Kessel? Sign me up. I'd take Eric for as long as he wants at 6m a year as well.

More like 7 years at $7M a year post-July 1:

15-16 $6M (after $4M bonus)
16-17 $7M + $2M bonus
17-18 $7M + $2M bonus
18-19 $7M
19-20 $7M
20-21 $1M + $5M bonus
21-22 $1M + $5M bonus

$36M in salary + $14M in bonus = $50M over 7 seasons.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

cjd3WWQ.jpg

Ron Francis works in mysterious ways.

Someone stole my idea lol. I made this for McJesus the day before the draft lottery hoping for McJesus.

View attachment 83649

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I wonder if MSL would have any interest in continuing his NHL career in Carolina.

For St. Louis, Raleigh to CT is not that long of a plane ride and he would get to stay in the Metro division. I think he'd get plenty of playing time with the Canes, presumably as the top line RW.

For Carolina, unlike most quality UFAs, St. Louis would not require a long-term commitment. He had a disappointing playoff, but that was coming off of a very solid regular season performance. Being a skilled, playmaking RW, I think St. Louis would nicely compliment Eric and Jordan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad