What's Going on with the Rangers?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Defensively. He was always high end on the PP. I don't think anyone in the Western Conference mistook Shattenkirk for some solid defensive presence, and I always felt like St. Louis did a good job keeping him out of those situations when they could. He's a pretty good weapon to have when you can shelter him defensively.

Then there was Brendan Smith, who many Detroit fans said was a mistake to re-sign for that contract if he was going to be a top 4 guy.

I'm sure they can clean some things up, or have their responsibilities adjusted to make up for some weaknesses, but I don't think some of the struggles defensively are a surprise to anyone who knew those players. Players don't usually go to another team and shed their past issues.

I don't think what you're saying is necessarily untrue, but neither one of those guys was a high corsi against player, and that's a fact. All of a sudden, they're both getting slammed in corsi against.

And I don't it's true at all to say that they used to be sheltered and the role has changed. It hasn't changed. Smith was a 3rd pair D last year and 3rd pair/healthy scratch so far this year. Shattenkirk has gotten heavy offensive zone starts all year like he always did. The heavy minutes are going to McDonagh and whoever his partner is [he's had like 8 already] like they always have.

Even a guy like Brady Skjei who was on the same team last year, with the same exact role, who has had literally no change, has gone from a corsi darling to getting throttled overnight. That's why we're wondering if this coach is simply conducive to horrible team possession numbers, which I think anyone can agree (to varying extents) isn't good.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They clearly miss Girardi and Tanner Glass. Guys that play a solid, simple game. Play the body, clear the front of the net, finish their checks, and dump pucks in deep

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And in Shattenkirk's defense, he was brought in to be McDonagh's partner, so McDonagh could do the heavy lifting and Shattenkirk could be a weapon.

They played two games together: one in preseason, and opening night. In those games, they both had a fantastic corsi rating, and Shattenkirk had four points. Then we abandoned that after game one, because AV.

Since then, Shattenkirk has been left to be the guy carrying the pair, whether it be a struggling Skjei, or a struggling Smith, or Marc Staal whose existence is a struggle.

That wasn't the f***ing plan, Alain.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
its early still but their forward core has no one that scares me. Their defense is pretty average outside of McDonagh.

When I said the Rangers would be worse off than CBJ in one of the preseason threads Rangers fans were all "Let them win a playoff series first!"

Yeah, because its impossible to project teams based on you know, youth and amount of talent.

Reactions: Viqsi

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's not true, they started together the second game too. We all know what happened then.

Lundqvist gave up 5 goals on 17 shots? Four of which, that pair wasn't even on the ice for.

And ever since then, we've had 39 different D pairings. I expect level-headedness out of a professional coach, not having one bad period affect you 2, 3, 4 games later.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't think what you're saying is necessarily untrue, but neither one of those guys was a high corsi against player, and that's a fact. All of a sudden, they're both getting slammed in corsi against.

And I don't it's true at all to say that they used to be sheltered and the role has changed. It hasn't changed. Smith was a 3rd pair D last year and 3rd pair/healthy scratch so far this year. Shattenkirk has gotten heavy offensive zone starts all year like he always did. The heavy minutes are going to McDonagh and whoever his partner is [he's had like 8 already] like they always have.

Even a guy like Brady Skjei who was on the same team last year, with the same exact role, who has had literally no change, has gone from a corsi darling to getting throttled overnight. That's why we're wondering if this coach is simply conducive to horrible team possession numbers, which I think anyone can agree (to varying extents) isn't good.

Agree with some of your statement except the idea that Staal has been bad, he hasn't actually.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Team reeks of mediocrity from top to bottom. Last year they made the playoffs due to shooting at 15% for the first two months.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Lundqvist gave up 5 goals on 17 shots? Four of which, that pair wasn't even on the ice for.

And ever since then, we've had 39 different D pairings. I expect level-headedness out of a professional coach, not having one bad period affect you 2, 3, 4 games later.

Maybe the idea was to split up your best defensemen so each can carry their own pairing, don't want to defend AV here.
Just saying he didn't split them up after the first game for no reason.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
It's not the forwards or Lundqvist.

It's the same problem it's always been - they never leave their own zone.

Completely revamped personnel, and they still can't defend. What's the common denominator?
How is it not the forwards? They have 8 even strength goals in 6 games, this forwards group is trash

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
its early still but their forward core has no one that scares me. Their defense is pretty average outside of McDonagh.

When I said the Rangers would be worse off than CBJ in one of the preseason threads Rangers fans were all "Let them win a playoff series first!"

Yeah, because its impossible to project teams based on you know, youth and amount of talent.
Oh my holy G-d yes. Could barely even mention the Jackets without Rangers fans whining about "Columbuphilia" and how dare anyone ever assume the Jackets could be good and the Rangers are so much better and on and on and on. The schadenfreude right now is absolutely incredible. :D

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
One of my second teams along with TB and WSH. I've liked them since Brad Richards joined the team (he's one of my favorite players and I started liking Tampa when he was still with the team). I kept cheering for them since I liked the way they played the last three years and liked their offense. They also kept MTL from having the President's trophy in '15 and kicked the Habs out of the playoffs season! :)

1-4 record so far. Usually they get off to fast/strong starts and dominate early on. There's still a lot of talent up front and they did revamp the back-end somewhat. Is it just a poor start or is it more ominous?

The bolded isn't true. Only last season they got off to a strong start. Most seasons it seems that there is some adjustment period when playing AV's system. Even the guys that played it already seem to need time to adjust again. Lundqvist is notorious for slow starts then picks his game up around December. I'm not a huge AV basher but I don't understand why he can't simplify. The strict man-to-man defense thing is a complete disaster as soon as one guy is a step behind his guy. Then everyone is scrambling out of position and just trying to survive in the D zone while they are getting bombarded with shots.

I also agree with the idea that Rangers seriously lack some sort of offensive star, but those claiming the team needs to rebuild are nuts. 7 of the 12 starting forwards are 26 and under with big picks this past season. The team needs at least one offensive leader. Nash is paid to do it but now he's more of a 200 ft, all around type... like the majority of the forwards.

On a side note, this new forum board is ridiculous and another disaster.. It's taking me over 10 minutes to even type this. The site is a whole sentence behind me in showing up to the screen and constant lag in scrolling through a thread. Stop with the million advertisements and algorithms trying to document every single move I make.. Looks like it's time to find a new hockey forum

*Edit* forum decided to post my response twice in the same thread so deleted one of them.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Come on, you RAGS.

I thought they'd be done last year and yet they had a nice year. You can never count out the King.

I still think they have a nice team. But in the metro, look out for the Flyers to overtake them.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's only 5 games in. Plenty of time to turn the ship before it hits the iceberg. One of the things that may need to be jettisoned is AV. Feels like the forwards are anchored and not using that speed and skill like they did last season. Um sorry for all the ship references.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
It would be a world changing difference if you had a McDavid, Matthews or Eichel at the top.

Or even someone in the next tier like Draisaitl or Scheifele.

Adding anyone of those players would be world changing to any top 6 so I really don't understand the point you're trying to make.

The rangers have traded away all their high draft picks for so long this past draft being an exception where they attained more higher picks. The trading away all their 1st round picks for four straight drafts and in two of those drafts not even having a 2nd round pick. While also picking late in every round since they were at the top of the standings. They have the worst prospect pool in the league and although the 2017 draft was strong for them they have a long way to go. That's good gonna have an accumulative effect on the overall ability of the team.

The core doesn't have high end skill at all and they have very little in up and coming talent. They had their window between 2012-2016 but I didn't happen and I think they could be in for a few rough years. Lundqvist is gettin old and while I still think he's a solid goalie I don't know I he's a top 10 goalie like he used to be. I still think they're good enough to make the playoffs this year but I can't see them doing much in the playoffs. I think it's the next few years coming up that the rangers are gonna be in more trouble.

Reactions: Off Sides

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
How is it not the forwards? They have 8 even strength goals in 6 games, this forwards group is trash
We need to spread out the scoring more.
Make two pairs out of Zucc, Buch, Zib and Kreider and find a 3rd guy to play with each line. I would try something like this:
Buchnevich-Zib-Nash
Kreider-Miller-Zucc
Grabner-Hayes-Fast
Vesey-Desharnais-?

Spread the scoring around instead of the KZB line. Hayes cant play in the top 6 imo.

Evergreen

And in Shattenkirk's defense, he was brought in to be McDonagh's partner, so McDonagh could do the heavy lifting and Shattenkirk could be a weapon.

They played two games together: one in preseason, and opening night. In those games, they both had a fantastic corsi rating, and Shattenkirk had four points. Then we abandoned that after game one, because AV.

Since then, Shattenkirk has been left to be the guy carrying the pair, whether it be a struggling Skjei, or a struggling Smith, or Marc Staal whose existence is a struggle.

That wasn't the ****ing plan, Alain.
Yeah, I don't understand why Shattenkirk and McDonagh aren't paired up together. Maybe AV wants to spread out the talent among more pairs? I've also been disappointed in Skjei this season. I thought he'd continue on his upward projection from last season (and even drafted him in a fantasy league), but he's looked pretty lousy when I've watched him. Some ill-advised turnovers in the defensive zone and only 1 point thus far. I thought DeAngelo looked pretty good in preseason, though, so maybe he'll pop into the lineup soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad