What's Going on with the Rangers?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The Rangers have qualified for playoffs every year (except one) since lock out and because of that reason they never had a chance for higher draft picks and lack in prospects department

This not a very skilled and deep team and whatever they have are either old and not fast enough to compete against young upcoming teams that are way faster and skilled then this Rangers team

I think it's about time for Rangers to rebuild sooner then later

The Rangers are pretty skilled and actually seem to have good depth on forward. Last season, when they were playing well, they were one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I more or less expected them to struggle, so I'm not too surprised. They weren't deep enough to lose stepan and their D is meh. Add in an aging Lundqvist and I think you get what you see.

They're also playing in a pretty tough division. Their 6 losses haven't been to awful teams:

Toronto
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
Columbus
St Louis
Colorado

3-4 of those teams are contenders, and the devils and avalanche are young teams on the upswing. I expect they'll recover and be near the playoffs, if not in them. The Metropolitan is just such an insane division.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Anyone else find it funny that when we were trying to trade him, Stepan wasn't a 1C according to many here, but now that we moved him we shouldn't have traded our 1C?

Reactions: TychoFan

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I love seeing Hank still get blamed for odd man rushes he can't stop, unprotect people in his own zone sniping and break aways. The definition of a soft goal to a rangers fan is literally every goal. Rangers fans dont deserve Hank or anything nice for that matter.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
I mean most people who know hockey didn't see the Rangers as a playoff team before the season. Maybe fighting for a wild card but that's about it. Granted it's still early but everything we have noticed going into the season is playing out. Henrik aging and on the decline, bad defense, Shattenkirk overrated, bad forward depth, no offense. These were all blatant observations before the season began.

With that said, anything can happen. It's early.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I love seeing Hank still get blamed for odd man rushes he can't stop, unprotect people in his own zone sniping and break aways. The definition of a soft goal to a rangers fan is literally every goal. Rangers fans dont deserve Hank or anything nice for that matter.

Would you say Sid's tying goal last night was soft or an ok goal to allow?

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Adding anyone of those players would be world changing to any top 6 so I really don't understand the point you're trying to make.

The rangers have traded away all their high draft picks for so long this past draft being an exception where they attained more higher picks. The trading away all their 1st round picks for four straight drafts and in two of those drafts not even having a 2nd round pick. While also picking late in every round since they were at the top of the standings. They have the worst prospect pool in the league and although the 2017 draft was strong for them they have a long way to go. That's good gonna have an accumulative effect on the overall ability of the team.

The core doesn't have high end skill at all and they have very little in up and coming talent. They had their window between 2012-2016 but I didn't happen and I think they could be in for a few rough years. Lundqvist is gettin old and while I still think he's a solid goalie I don't know I he's a top 10 goalie like he used to be. I still think they're good enough to make the playoffs this year but I can't see them doing much in the playoffs. I think it's the next few years coming up that the rangers are gonna be in more trouble.

Yeah but all the FA's sign for them or want to sign for them. :popcorn:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The problem with the Rangers seems to be something they do every season (except last season for some reason) under AV. They look disjointed and out of sync and like they can't run their system, then things click later and they look better. At least, it has in previous years.

Lot of bad mental errors and guys trying to do too much and uncforced turnovers. As a veteran team that should get cleaned up eventually but if not then they're gonna be a bottom 5 team.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Would you say Sid's tying goal last night was soft or an ok goal to allow?
The fluke goal when the rangers spent over a minute in their own zone unable to clear the puck or get a line change?

Could hank have hug the post a little tighter? Absolutely! However if you think that is soft and not a fluke you are part of the problem. Most agree price is one of the best goalies in the sport and he lets in way softer then hank. Dude just got scored on by the other teams goalie.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Anyone else find it funny that when we were trying to trade him, Stepan wasn't a 1C according to many here, but now that we moved him we shouldn't have traded our 1C?

Being a 1C and being the Rangers 1C aren't always the same thing. Bozak was Toronto's 1C for a few years and no one (outside of a few zealous Leafs fans) though he was a 1C.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It is if you sign college FA's and add 1 or 2 regular FA to the current core.
College FA’s are almost never impact players. Did you mean 1 or 2 regular like John Tavares?

You could get lucky and land a good one, but looking around the league at the good teams and top players - most were drafted by their team.

In today’s game, the draft is significantly more important than free agency.

Reactions: Off Sides

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
College FA’s are almost never impact players. Did you mean 1 or 2 regular like John Tavares?

You could get lucky and land a good one, but looking around the league at the good teams and top players - most were drafted by their team.

In today’s game, the draft is significantly more important than free agency.

I agree with you, just saying that they always attracted top players even when they were bad. And yeah trading all those draft picks doesn't help.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
"LUNDQVIST MADE 15 SAVES MAYBE 3 OTHER GOALIES IN THE NHL COULD LAST NIGHT. HE NEEDED TO MAKE 19. HE SUCKS NOW." - Basic ass rangers fan

No comments about how the system infront of him is broken. Everything is a soft goal regardless of what it actually was. Lots of claims that his back ups out play him even though the team blocks 2/3 more shots when a back ups in net then when hank is showing that the turtle more. Also no mention that the rangers make way more break out passes when Hanks in net then a back up. Is Hank playing his best hockey? Of course not. Is hank bad or washed up? OF COURSE NOT. Look what he does in the world when a team plays a system that works vs when he comes back home to NY and they are playing Man to Man coverage with players like Marc Staal and Holden on the team. Besides those two the better rangers defenders are getting lost in the zone and losing the person they are supposed to cover. All Hanks fault though.

This team doesnt need a rebuild. They need a little retooling and a system that works. MOST IMPORTANTLY they need a coach that plays the best line up available for more then 2 periods. A coach that doesnt punish rookies and let vets work through it even though they keep getting exposed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over again. Marc Staal has been declining for 3 seasons. He isnt just going to get his game back. Girardi was so bad he had to be bought out yet AV played him the second most minutes on the team. At this point I think its insane to expect AV to change so he needs to be changed.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Stepan wasn't a #1C but he was the #1A/B center for the Rangers.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
The Rangers are centered around a 8.5 million dollar aging goaltender. He has been average for the past 3 seasons. Last season he was below average. This season he is just about average. I think the writing is on the wall. His style of play does not age well, especially considering the league's overall skill has gone up. I don't think AV wants to play the system that Lundqvist wants and he will be gone.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Zibenajad is their top line center. Shattenkirk is a top line defender.

I see guys try harder at open skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad