What's Going on with the Rangers?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the stats guys can back this up in saying it's not a coincidence that over the last few years despite their record have been one of the absolute WORST teams in the league at giving up high danger opportunities. A lot of people are looking at personnel and thats certainly a factor but the crazy defensive system that allows them quick transitions and breakouts is the same reason why every other chance in their zone is one timer in the slot. If every single player is on their game it works fine, if a few players are off it's muy mal. I think the Rangers have done well the last few years in spite of AV's system not because of it.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Season started party on
Jul 8, 2007
McD was a 1D last year
Skjei played like a top pairing dman and elevated his play in the playoffs
Smith in his limited time with us last year was a monster.
skjei is good no doubt. give the kid a little more time

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Rangers have qualified for playoffs every year (except one) since lock out and because of that reason they never had a chance for higher draft picks and lack in prospects department

This not a very skilled and deep team and whatever they have are either old and not fast enough to compete against young upcoming teams that are way faster and skilled then this Rangers team

I think it's about time for Rangers to rebuild sooner then later

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If they don't want to rebuild

- trade for duchene (give away whatever sakic wants)
Sign tavares
Sign Evander Kane
Sign MaxPac in 2019

Gun for Karlsson.
shestyorkin should be ready by then, and he will replace lundqvist

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
If they don't want to rebuild

- trade for duchene (give away whatever sakic wants)
Sign tavares
Sign Evander Kane
Sign MaxPac in 2019

Gun for Karlsson.
shestyorkin should be ready by then, and he will replace lundqvist

You're aware there is a cap space to worry about?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Shatterkink is an absolute mess defensively. I know Blues fans warned us, but it's even WAY worse than what they said.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
People saying the Rangers are old are out to lunch. Lundqvist is getting old, Nash is 33, Staal is 30, Desharnais is 31, Grabner just turned 30, Holden just turned 30 and Zuccarello (arguably their best player) is 30. Everyone else is in their early 20s it seems like.

They lack top end talent but have depth. It's really a horrible defensive scheme and mind boggling personnel decisions from the coach.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Good. Then he should Trade Zuccarello, McDonagh and Nash for Kapanen, Colin White and Kevin Lebanc, respectively. We can even retain on 2 of those players since we'll have the cap space and that should increase their values.

I'm late to this thread but hell if we're giving up Labanc for Nash. That ship has sailed.

Also, this board's hate-on for Shattenkirk is really funny.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Rangers have qualified for playoffs every year (except one) since lock out and because of that reason they never had a chance for higher draft picks and lack in prospects department

This not a very skilled and deep team and whatever they have are either old and not fast enough to compete against young upcoming teams that are way faster and skilled then this Rangers team

Well they keep trading their picks. That is the issue.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Lol is this serious? Marner, who is an untouchable god to you guys, scored what 2 or 3 points more than zuccarello last year? Yeah Zucc is too old and slow though.

Kreider is old and slow? Miller? Zibanejad? Buchnevich? Skjei? Mcdonagh? Shattenkirk?

I posted about this in the AV thread on this board but I’ll repeat it here in a way shorter way - rangers players routinely out produce hf darlings from other teams and yet they’re talked about as if they’re useless garbage. Zucc scored more than plenty of players people on here trip over themselves to praise, as did Kreider, as did Shattenkirk (4th in points from a dman), as did Skjei. People see rangers players and assume they suck for who knows what reason.

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
No #1 Center, no 4th Line, only have four NHL level defensemen and an aging Lundqvist. Add to that a Head Coach who is not good managing a team that is not stacked with talented players. Looks like a Lottery Pick a Lindy Ruff and a John Tavares in their future.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Shatterkink is an absolute mess defensively. I know Blues fans warned us, but it's even WAY worse than what they said.
Did you watch him with the Caps as well? Many on here and elsewhere knew he would be a bad contract for whoever signed him. Probably one of the top QB’s, great wheels and great passer... but he really struggles to defend without the puck.

Lundqvist will be better. That’ll make everyone else better... Veteran team like this, I’d wait till Christmas before climbing on the ledge.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm late to this thread but hell if we're giving up Labanc for Nash. That ship has sailed.

Also, this board's hate-on for Shattenkirk is really funny.

I knew it was coming.

Bad few games and Shattenkirk sucks and getting rid of Girardi was a mistake.

Meanwhile Shattenkirk was great tonight and Girardi's corsiREL dropped into the negative. Who the f*** saw that coming?

The Rangers have their share of flaws but all of this is a bit reactionary.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Cant score goals (except for today), awful D overall but McD single handedly losing the game tonight and Lundqvist getting old.

It was highly entertaining though!

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
They have traded quite a few picks just recently but they have also signed some premium college free agents, I sort of thought of them as an older team but then I looked at their roster and a surprising number of them are in the 23-26 age range, including many key players. Other than replacing Lundqvist and inevitably changing what is a fifth year head coach now I don't see insurmountable problems there, they actually seem to be in decent shape to me.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Lundqvist is done. He and Price have looked awful to start the season.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lundqvist is done. He and Price have looked awful to start the season.

He's not done. He's done covering up for a miserable defense and carrying the team on his back (like he's done for 11 f***ing years) but put some competence in front of him and he's great.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lundqvist only looked bad in the Leafs game and last night. Otherwise, he's been his usual self.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad