What's Going on with the Rangers?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
One of my second teams along with TB and WSH. I've liked them since Brad Richards joined the team (he's one of my favorite players and I started liking Tampa when he was still with the team). I kept cheering for them since I liked the way they played the last three years and liked their offense. They also kept MTL from having the President's trophy in '15 and kicked the Habs out of the playoffs season! :)

1-4 record so far. Usually they get off to fast/strong starts and dominate early on. There's still a lot of talent up front and they did revamp the back-end somewhat. Is it just a poor start or is it more ominous?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Look at their forwards, a lot of unproven guys, or washed up players like Rick Nash.

Doesn't help that they traded away Stepan and Lundqvist hasn't been that great.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
There are a few problems, but the two most glaring ones are AV and the lack of a 2C. The problems with AV are well-documented: he has favorites (and many of them are crappy players); he's stubborn; he doesn't give young players real chances to succeed; doesn't adjust accordingly during periods; the lines and pairings for the most part look like they were pulled out of a hat...

And we don't have a second-line C. It COULD be JT Miller if given the chance to play there, but AV won't. Right now, we're relying on Hayes and Desharnais for top-6 minutes and neither of whom can provide the offense nor the defense necessary to be a 2C.

Fire AV; hire Darryl Sutter or Adam Oates as soon as after tomorrow's game against the Devils.

Move JT Miller to C and see how he fares. If he doesn't fare well, Jeff Gorton has to work hard to get a deal done if we have any hope for this season. Matt Duchene is the obvious trade target, but Gorton will have to be very creative in order to A) work out a deal with Joe Sakic; and B) fit Duchene under the cap.

Trade Holden (and please find a way to trade Staal)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Rangers are one of if not the most unskilled team in the league. And it all stems from the lack of a franchise center. Once you get that player at the top, the rest figures itself out naturally.

And McDonagh is nowhere good enough to make up for it like Karlsson does. Or Subban, Josi and Ellis.

This is because they've been a playoff team every year except one since the lockout. And even that year got eliminated on the final day of the season in a shootout. So we have not even sniffed a top 5 pick, where most of the franchise changing talent is onlu available. So that is now catching up.

I guess it sucks to be good.

Edit: MTL is definitely more unskilled but that might be it.

Last edited:

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Look at their forwards, a lot of unproven guys, or washed up players like Rick Nash.

Doesn't help that they traded away Stepan and Lundqvist hasn't been that great.
This. Not much skill up front at all.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This. Not much skill up front at all.
They have a ton of skill. That's not the problem. This is:

NYR

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
When you tear down and rebuild the defense, and it gets worse, yeah, blame the coach.

But no, we'll keep talking about how bad the forwards are and ignore the people who actually follow the Rangers.
"The defense gets worse" says the advanced stats guy who hates Girardi and has a picture of Shattenkirk by his bedside.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He wasn't good at all last year
He was great in the playoffs and has been good this season besides the Toronto game. Picked up a shutout Sunday and made 41 saves today allowing 2 goals and the first goal no goalie would have saved. Was an easy shot but it went off Ziba's skate deflecting the complete other way.

Our team defense has been terrible and AV is a shitty coach. Outside the Kreider-Zib-Buch line, Miller, and Zucc, our team has been horrible and extremely snake bit. AV's defensive pairings are brutal as well. He needs to stop rolling out Staal and Holden. Call up Pionk and play Deangelo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad