What's going on with Dubinsky and Jenner

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Things are returning to normal. It might have happened, but I can't remember anybody complaining or dissing Jarmo and/or the CBJ for bad contracts in about two months .

Seems funny how a sustained stretch of good play can make the "bad contract" talk much less or maybe even go away?.

Nah, I've been whining about Dubinsky's contract pretty consistently since it was signed, just as I did with Umbergers under Howson. I like having a few grinders, I just don't like overpaying them.

For the record, I think Jarmo has done (overall) a great job as a GM.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nah, I've been whining about Dubinsky's contract pretty consistently since it was signed, just as I did with Umbergers under Howson. I like having a few grinders, I just don't like overpaying them.

And JK didn't give Jenner a 6x6 for his production last year.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Maybe you have - there were two key points to my post

1. "I can't remember"
2. Old Guy

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I've kept my opinions about Dubi/Jenner quiet during this hot streak - mainly because it wasn't truly affecting how well the entire team has played - but I am really growing wary of Jenner. I'm just not his biggest fan...really reminds me of what David Clarkson was in NJ.

His style of play really does not fit well with the fast identity that the team is building. And his defensive deficiencies and general puck possession (through the eye test, atleast) have been like a boat anchor at times (not just last night in Washington). In all honesty, I would love to make a move to swap Jenner out for a player who is a little more of an offensive catalyst. Not sure what is available out there, perhaps Landeskog?, but a very solid player could come back in return.

This.

Although I doubt Colorado wants to downgrade for a player who is basically the same style of player.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
This is crazy talk for the most parts. Clarkson's undoing was not his player profile but injuries which affected him enough to render his career to be potentially over.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
This is crazy talk for the most parts. Clarkson's undoing was not his player profile but injuries which affected him enough to render his career to be potentially over.

Wait what? He was god awful in Toronto too after he signed his ludicrous contract....

This.

Although I doubt Colorado wants to downgrade for a player who is basically the same style of player.

Landy was just an idea, I posted a thread re: trading Jenner over on the mains, and some ideas thrown around were JVR, Kadri, Brassard, Duchene/Landeskog, and Stepan.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
When Gagner, Atkinson, or Wennberg have the puck I'm expecting a good scoring chance. When Jenner or Dubinsky have the puck, it just feel like a missed opportunity is coming.

Should we drop those two guys down the line up and give Cam other line mates for a game and see what happens??

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
To kind of summarize what I said on the mains, I think Jenner is just a square peg in a round hole here now. The team's formula has changed and Jenner just can't keep up with it. If he was on a team that is more his style I imagine all the garbage goals would start to come again.

Curious to see how he would do in the playoffs though.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
To kind of summarize what I said on the mains, I think Jenner is just a square peg in a round hole here now. The team's formula has changed and Jenner just can't keep up with it. If he was on a team that is more his style I imagine all the garbage goals would start to come again.

Curious to see how he would do in the playoffs though.

See you need guys that can be gritty and tough in the playoffs but they need quality on the puck and Jenner just doesnt have it. He isnt a top 6 forward who is going to score a lot of goals. He is way too one dimensional for that. Dubinsky will always be useful for his defensive abilities, where as Jenner has done nothing but struggle. Id screw around with a Anderson Karlsson Cam line but the truth is we could just make a hockey trade for a skilled center and put Dubi on the wing.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Everytime Dubi and Jenner touched the puck tonight against Philly, it seemed like the play just died on their sticks. Saad Panda summed it up perfectly. I just don't think Jenner is a fit with this team anymore.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think the team's "formula" has changed in ways that go against Jenner.

I think two things happened -

He doesn't have good defensive chemistry with Dubinsky. Those two get crossed up in the defensive end a lot, like they're not sure who's job is what. Break 'em up already.

He is slower than last year, and generally not as powerful. He doesn't bull through the netmouth much anymore.

Those are both probably fixable. The issue I have is that I thought he was overrated all last year anyways. He doesn't have good vision, and that will drag down his linemates. If you can get good value in a trade for someone like Duchene, sure. More realisitically, it's no big deal to put him down lineup, perhaps in a switch with Calvert, to see if he can play better on a new line, and come back stronger next year.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

His IQ has never been good, and we weren't exactly making very many "intelligent" plays last year. He fits that crash and bang style, and that's just not our game anymore. I agree with the rest of your analysis though.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
This is a joke right? Umberger certainly didn't get paid near that much and had a more sustained scoring record than Jenner.

I didn't literally mean 6x6, I meant that the Jackets had a habit of giving guys big extensions at their "buy high" peak, that they would've given Jenner a deal assuming he was a 30+ yearly goal scorer. I think Umberger was making close to $5M before being bought out this year and he hasn't been a useful player in years. The contract was bad within a year of being signed as I recall.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I think two things happened -

He doesn't have good defensive chemistry with Dubinsky. Those two get crossed up in the defensive end a lot, like they're not sure who's job is what. Break 'em up already.

He is slower than last year, and generally not as powerful. He doesn't bull through the netmouth much anymore.

Those are both probably fixable. The issue I have is that I thought he was overrated all last year anyways. He doesn't have good vision, and that will drag down his linemates. If you can get good value in a trade for someone like Duchene, sure. More realisitically, it's no big deal to put him down lineup, perhaps in a switch with Calvert, to see if he can play better on a new line, and come back stronger next year.

One can review my posts from three years ago, Jenner was never high on my sheet.... What's so funny, two years ago Rimer and others pined for Jenner to be Captain... I never understood why???

Jenner has been slow and beat often in the last three games.... Dubinsky too.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
See you need guys that can be gritty and tough in the playoffs but they need quality on the puck and Jenner just doesnt have it.

I do not think it works that way. If you require average, you get average. You cannot bet against a farmer if you claim cultural heritage to Greek-Roman world's agriculture.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
My biggest issue seems to be that on any given night they play ok to well, or are absolutely garbage.

I like the role each plays on the team, and personally am a fan of Jenner, but I agree with major major, Jenner just physically looks different. He's not nearly physical or as fast as he was last year it seems. I think moving them around will be happening once the team struggles a bit or as injuries occur.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Oh but it does, you are either effective or you aren't. Boone isnt.

When mother put me as hireling to world she told me that you will be a cross for the rich. In the cold world. A cross for the rich. As slow do the rich scold you and think you are lazy even if a farmhand would not do nothing at all. In the cold world. Nothing at all.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The tough thing to me is I think as both of those guys (Dubi and Jenner) as excellent complimentary guys on a line. But then I remember the 3rd guy on their line is having an excellent year offensively (Atkinson). So that blows that theory - that with right line-mate that their performance would look better.
As long as the team is winning I think you keep rolling with what we have and hope those 2 pick it up. Dubi may be at the age where he is declining and just plays well in certain games/spots. Jenner's decline is odd. He does look slower, and in my mind just the overall effort isn't as great (again I can't prove that just what I see). I don't expect Jenner to be a 30 goal guy (sometimes good years happen), but getting the minutes he gets I would expect 18-20 goals.
Again I still think we need to be patient, but if the performance (especially Jenner) you may have to look at adjusting lines and or (near the deadline) looking for opportunities to solidify the 2nd line. But I would not make that a priority specially if team is playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad