What's going on with Dubinsky and Jenner

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No one here knows.

Dubinsky can't make a simple play, so it's got to be mental. You can expect a bit of physical decline for him, but only so much.

Jenner isn't even checking as much. Just seems weaker. Not the bull on skates we've been used to. I've speculated that he might be a poor fit in the new system, but that's just speculation. I don't know.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
they're pressing. Once they get one they'll get their heads out of their *****.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Dubi is going to slowly decline over the next few years just because his style of play will catch up to him but he is just starting slow and trying to hard to snap out of it. He will still be a 45pt guy this year. Jenner is looking different this year. I don't know if it's like what major said and it's the system or if he's trying to hard as well or if it's a natural slump like everyone has or hell if he had a Clarkson year and that's the best we ever see. It really is confusing to me. I don't want to over react so I'll give it 20 games.

Question to you guys, if it is the system he is struggling with but we keep playing well and say 17-10-3 and it's apparent that he is still having trouble but everyone else is thriving and a GM calls up and wants Jenner and they have a 1C available (not likely but it's a hypothetical so humor me) would you take a deal?

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Dubi I'm not too worried about -- he's probably started his decline at this point, but his biggest issues right now look like they're mental, and he's shown enough flashes recently for me to think he's still a valuable player even if he's lost half a step.

Jenner's problems are a little more complex. To start with, he's not playing his "natural game:" getting to the front of the net and in the corners and using his size and strength. It seems like, particularly on the power play, he too often winds up trying to make plays off the half-wall, which is not his game at all. Then there's the issue where he's just, like Dubinsky, sometimes just not on the same page with his teammates mentally, in all three zones.

So that's what I'm seeing as to what's going on with them. As far as how to fix it, I'm not sure. I think Dubi will be fine just from playing through it, but Jenner I'm a little more worried about, because he hasn't really found his role in what seems to be a pretty substantially overhauled system. I don't think it's as simple as he's too slow, because Foligno, Gagner, and even Prout have been relatively good so far this season and none of them is exactly a burner.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Question to you guys, if it is the system he is struggling with but we keep playing well and say 17-10-3 and it's apparent that he is still having trouble but everyone else is thriving and a GM calls up and wants Jenner and they have a 1C available (not likely but it's a hypothetical so humor me) would you take a deal?

I wouldn't wait for a second whenever your highly unlikely scenario unfolded.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
It could be the new system but IMO it's mental for both guys. Dubi has mishandled the puck a lot and that's a pretty clear sign of squeezing the stick too hard. It seems like Boone is trying to be something he's not (like Foligno last season). He should go back to his greasy bing-bang-bong style of play.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
It seems like Boone is trying to be something he's not (like Foligno last season). He should go back to his greasy bing-bang-bong style of play.

Even in tip-tap, tip-tap, tipe, tipe, tip-tap, tip, tip, tap you need some forward thrust.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Even in tip-tap, tip-tap, tipe, tipe, tip-tap, tip, tip, tap you need some forward thrust.

200_s.gif

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
To be honest I think Jenner may have over achieved last year. He's not a 30G scorer but I expect him to put in around 20 a year.

He's very similar to Duby in the fact that he's not a skilled guy but rather a grinder, the system isn't the best fit but he'll figure it out.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To be honest I think Jenner may have over achieved last year. He's not a 30G scorer but I expect him to put in around 20 a year.

He's very similar to Duby in the fact that he's not a skilled guy but rather a grinder, the system isn't the best fit but he'll figure it out.

Agreed.

But he's still not playing like last year on either end.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll just throw this out. Maybe they're both complacent. I'm not saying that they are, just that it's a possibility.

Dubinsky hasn't been the same since he signed the big deal and Jenner is a 23 year old 2nd round draft pick who probably never realistically envisioned making $6 million over 2 years.

It's human nature to get comfortable once a major goal has been achieved. Both these guys have achieved lifetime financial security.

Only a CBJ insider could make the call on what I've posited. What's really troubling-if this supposition is true- is that they are the two Assistant Captains which supposedly makes them team leaders.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What's really troubling-if this supposition is true- is that they are the two Assistant Captains which supposedly makes them team leaders.

This is the part where we note that another notable team leader who wears a letter to that effect (the letter, in point of fact) is presently over a point per game and generally kicking ass.

don't mind me, just trying to strangle any attempt at a rebirth of the "woe is us and our lack of leadership" narrative in its cradle

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is the part where we note that another notable team leader who wears a letter to that effect (the letter, in point of fact) is presently over a point per game and generally kicking ass.

don't mind me, just trying to strangle any attempt at a rebirth of the "woe is us and our lack of leadership" narrative in its cradle

Your attempt failed and Foligno has nothing to do with the other two.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd be surprised if either of them were settling into complacency. They are competitors and all the money in the world won't change that imo.
Some guys might, especially if they re a bit older but right now I don't think that is the problem.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
My wife just told me it wasn't Jenner's wedding that I had heard about- please forgive my comment - I confused him w/ someone else.

In seriousness: Dubinsky & Jenner are grind it out hockey players: they may need to adapt to Torts wishes - but they are perfect for our system. Torts was relying pretty heavily on Dubi last year with minutes played. Give them time, they will come thru.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah but Foligno's complacency is why we sucked last year.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I'm not sure about Dubi, but Jenner just got married this summer.. his producing may be dependent on when he gets his legs back.

In seriousness: Dubinsky & Jenner are grind it out hockey players: they may need to adapt to Torts wishes - but they are perfect for our system. Torts was relying pretty heavily on Dubi last year with minutes played. Give them time, they will come thru.

If he's married his legs should be good to go in that department.
At least, that's the impression I get from my friend...:cry:

Honestly though, I have to think Jenner is just pushing it. Scoring 30G is good, but I wonder if he is trying to be something he is not.
He looks dead tired out there though, so who knows.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd be surprised if either of them were settling into complacency. They are competitors and all the money in the world won't change that imo.
Some guys might, especially if they re a bit older but right now I don't think that is the problem.

I'm just throwing it out there. It may not be the case.

If it is the case, they can snap out of it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah but Foligno's complacency is why we sucked last year.

I know you're being snarky, but I really think that Foligno tried to do too much last year. He got the big $ and the "C". The team was behind the 8 ball from jump street last year after the crappy start and I think that #71 was pressing as a result.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Dubinsky has always reminded me of someone who HATES to lose.. so I don't worry about complacency with him.

With Jenner, has he ever struggled this bad in his career? Coming off of last season he probably had the same high expectations all of us had - and finds himself confused on how to get out of this current slump.

I'm not even close to being in the "trade him" boat.. and I have doubts that he would bring back a true bonafide 1C in return.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure about Dubi, but Jenner just got married this summer.. his producing may be dependent on when he gets his legs back.

Unfortunately a lot of players get their "legs" from summer training. I mean both literal legs and the metaphor for good skating. If they don't have a good summer it can hold them back until the following summer.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I think most of us recognized that he isn't a 30G talent that can do that every year. But with this kind of play he'd be lucky to top 12 goals. He's not as strong out there in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad