What's going on with Dubinsky and Jenner

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think Jenner will pick it up after he sees my trade proposal of him and a 1st for Dan Girardi

I about fell over dead. Girardi? Holy crap, the guys 32. I won't trade Jenner for him straight up.

I haven't really read this thread, this was just the first post on the last page. I don't really have a response for Jenner, however Dubinsky is on a slow decline so I'm not surprised with his performance.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jenner is showing no ability to control the puck. I don't know why but he can't keep it on his stick at all. Obviously that affects his offensive game. I have seen no improvement in his puck control.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Jenner is like 60%, so he is actually one of the strong guys in the circle in the league.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure when the "second line" is ever useful in a game. More fanspeak than anything. The first lines may get preferential starts and go after timeouts so I get that. Our best defensive line will be out in the final 30 seconds if we are in the leads. Not sure what the point of the lines numbers are otherwise. I don't think hockey players or coaches think this way. (more of a video game thing to be honest).

Check that, beer league players care about this sort of thing.

Powerplay is the only place you see some preference with who you put out there on a team like ours. Dubi is out on the second unit. When he's displaced there, I guess I'll consider him our third line center.

Torts would laugh at this conversation.

Players and coaches both think that way

section 204

Jun 26, 2008
It's possible that these guys are also simply caught in a numbers game where (and I can't believe I'm saying this) the Jackets have too many productive players for all of them to be thriving. The scoring is coming from unlikely sources (Gagner, Anderson) resulting in Dubi and Jenner playing a more defensive role. Their minutes coming on the kill, etc.

I mean, where would things be if these two were also playing to last year's pace? Our goal differential would be somewhere around +40-42. That's insane for 27 games. Washington completely dominated the regular season last year and finished the season at +59. As it is, our current pace has us finishing the season at around +90 which is completely unreasonable to expect as is, and if Dubi and Jenner were "on pace," that number would be more like +120. BTW - writing this got me wondering, what is the NHL team record for goal differential for a season... Greatest Goal Differential: +216, by the 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens. All I can say is holy crap. I realize that NHL eras are notoriously impossible to compare, but that team on average outscored its opponents by about 3 goals per game.

Anyhow, as some unexpected scoring sources regress to the mean, and the Jackets pace slows a little, these reliable vets will be needed more and I fully expect them to progress to the mean. Their full-season stats will probably fall short of where they've been the last couple years, but if I were a gambler I'd bet on each of them having 2nd halves of the season that look similar to their pace from previous years. It's another reason that I am more excited about this team than I have been about any team in Nationwide in the history of the franchise. #pleasestayhealthybob

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's possible that these guys are also simply caught in a numbers game where (and I can't believe I'm saying this) the Jackets have too many productive players for all of them to be thriving. The scoring is coming from unlikely sources (Gagner, Anderson) resulting in Dubi and Jenner playing a more defensive role. Their minutes coming on the kill, etc.

I mean, where would things be if these two were also playing to last year's pace? Our goal differential would be somewhere around +40-42. That's insane for 27 games. Washington completely dominated the regular season last year and finished the season at +59. As it is, our current pace has us finishing the season at around +90 which is completely unreasonable to expect as is, and if Dubi and Jenner were "on pace," that number would be more like +120. BTW - writing this got me wondering, what is the NHL team record for goal differential for a season... Greatest Goal Differential: +216, by the 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens. All I can say is holy crap. I realize that NHL eras are notoriously impossible to compare, but that team on average outscored its opponents by about 3 goals per game.

Anyhow, as some unexpected scoring sources regress to the mean, and the Jackets pace slows a little, these reliable vets will be needed more and I fully expect them to progress to the mean. Their full-season stats will probably fall short of where they've been the last couple years, but if I were a gambler I'd bet on each of them having 2nd halves of the season that look similar to their pace from previous years. It's another reason that I am more excited about this team than I have been about any team in Nationwide in the history of the franchise. #pleasestayhealthybob

This exactly. We spend a lot of time talking about things that are unsustainable. Despite the franchise's history, there certainly has to be some suck that is also unsustainable.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Dubinsky slowly declining, Boone is slightly overrated. Unpopular opinion but I would trade Dubinsky as soon as PLD is ready to play C. Boone also should be a C bc I think he is more effective there.

Of course the alternative is switching Boone and Duby once Duby starts to decline but I do not know how I feel about him on the wing.

Boone would be a great 3C I fear he does not have enough skill to play higher in the lineup, he plays best with a grinder type game hard worker in the corners and getting ugly goals. He needs playmakers around him though.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson has been getting relatively more defensive duties all year, and all last year too. Nothing crazy, definitely not pure shutdown, but still about 10-20% higher d-zone starts.
It's a pretty good excuse for moderately less production, though not for this much less.

If they were good at shutdown I'd be fine with this drop in production. The numbers show that they give up more chances, by far, than any other unit. They create a lot, and give up even more. That's why I say they should be given easy minutes, or preferably, just split up. Jenner and Dubi have much better stats apart.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dubinsky slowly declining, Boone is slightly overrated. Unpopular opinion but I would trade Dubinsky as soon as PLD is ready to play C. Boone also should be a C bc I think he is more effective there.

Of course the alternative is switching Boone and Duby once Duby starts to decline but I do not know how I feel about him on the wing.

Boone would be a great 3C I fear he does not have enough skill to play higher in the lineup, he plays best with a grinder type game hard worker in the corners and getting ugly goals. He needs playmakers around him though.
I'd be up for possibly moving Dubinsky as well (heck, I'd be giving strong consideration to asking him to waive his NMC for the expansion draft at this point), but at this point we probably still need him. Probably. Maybe. :dunno:

Also, I'm not sure to what degree he helps with Tortorella. Or if he does at all. Don't have enough data to be able to say anything beyond "I'm leaning that way too buuuut don't feel confident in that conclusion quite yet."

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
No way its negatove but it's not much because cost and NMC. I honestly think he's still a great fit here and would be less critical of him if it wasn't for the expansion. He has picked his game up a lot since the start.

Jenner is also looking to get.going a bit. There is only so much scoring to go around and.we.are.already on a rediculous pace so I think that there numbers are a reflection of that. We have like 5 or 6 guys at almost 20 already. Hell a 4th liner is leading our goals. Thays.going to take away from.jenner and Dubi.

That being said still think trading Jenner and our 1st to basically upgrade Jenner is a good plan. Turns a 3C gritty scorer into a true 2C fringe 1C and then makes room on the wing for bjorkstrand. That leaves Dubi with 3C which is is fine for or even 4th line with wild bill or Sedlak playing 3rd. Or Karlson Sedlak at bottom 6 C and Dubi on a bottom 6 wing. I still am putting it out there anywhere people can see I think a.deal for Stepan or Tyler Johnson for Jenner and or 1st being a start and plug.in whatever else.needed.to work is a good plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad