What would you pay for these UFA defencemen?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Greg Pateryn needs more love here

1 year deal 900-950k easily. Always starts in the defensive zone (okay, 62-63% of the time) and around 50% Corsi? Pretty good stuff right there, plus he's hard to play against. We need to get harder to play against.

He'd be a fantastic 6-7 option.
He's a great Polak replacement if we're done with Holl and Carrick.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Carrick has no love with Babcock and Holl is...eh i'd give him a look but I think people overrate him based on his first stint up.
define overrate? What are people expecting from Holl a ECHLers turned AHLer turned NHLer? To be a bottom pairing dman?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I honestly don't want any of these guys.

I don't want any of them. What a sad group of UFA Dmen.

Ya, its not an impressive group really. This is old news. Not much there except for Carlson.

CDH is mentioned here. He has one year left on his current contract. He could be an option, but there's 2 things worth considering: a) Multiple teams would be interested, not just us b) He could turn out to be a rental, and perhaps an expensive one at that.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Carrick has no love with Babcock and Holl is...eh i'd give him a look but I think people overrate him based on his first stint up.
I'd like to see Carrick get a more of a chance, but I do think that ship may have sailed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
define overrate? What are people expecting from Holl a ECHLers turned AHLer turned NHLer? To be a bottom pairing dman?

I'd like to see Carrick get a more of a chance, but I do think that ship may have sailed.

Yeah, Carrick ship is long gone, I could see him moving as part of a package if we acquire a RHD via trade.

In terms of the overrating of Holl, I have seen *some* (i'm not going back to dig up line ups) inserting him onto the NHL roster already. Didn't find him to be amazing in the AHL but he gets a look in camp for sure for a #6-7 spot

I mean if Carrick goes...

Rielly-New D
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Leafs (hypothetical) Pateryn, Holl, Borgman competing for the last spot.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We need to upgrade the defense. Left or right handed; as long as they are a net gain on the back end (and De Haan is) then sign them at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Cams

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Borgman and Rosen are interesting, I don't think they'd be happy getting snuffed another year, bit it's tough to see them improving our D (which we need to).

Reactions: Cams

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Ya, its not an impressive group really. This is old news. Not much there except for Carlson.

CDH is mentioned here. He has one year left on his current contract. He could be an option, but there's 2 things worth considering: a) Multiple teams would be interested, not just us b) He could turn out to be a rental, and perhaps an expensive one at that.

Just checked, and DeHaan is hitting UFA this offseason. No year left on his contract with NYI.

The noteworthy lefties are De Haan, Enstrom, J Johnson, Cole, Holden, Hamhuis, Emelin. Not sure which guys can play on the right. CDH, as has been mentioned, can. And I'm pretty sure Johnson can as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Borgman and Rosen are interesting, I don't think they'd be happy getting snuffed another year, bit it's tough to see them improving our D (which we need to).

Yeah...I mean they were nice adds...Borgman can maybe help a 3rd pairing depending on his partner, he'd need someone with quick break out ability. He also needs to make quicker decisions with the puck.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You're being smart, but we don't need depth RHD, we need a top pairing RHD, and none of these guys fit the bill except for maybe Carlson, who will want too much term and money for what he brings.

I don't mean to be a jerk. Sorry. Nothing personal.

I understand we need a RHD, but that might be a fleeting venture for 5 or 10 years. We may never have the ideal D for the #2D spot, but that doesn't mean we don't dip into the UFA list because perfection isn't quite there.

We don't know what Zaitsev is quite yet. He might be a #6 D for the rest of his career. TOR might also move from Polak (UFA) and Gardiner (a UFA next season).

Based on TOR's performance the last 2 years, you cannot say that we are 1 RHD away from contending or improving.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Based on TOR's performance the last 2 years, you cannot say that we are 1 RHD away from contending or improving.
Honestly I feel it would put us pretty close. It would balance out our defense and take minutes away from guys who can't handle them as well. Using Doughty as a 1RHD example:

Rielly - Doughty
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Holl/Carrick

That's a real solid D and I even removed Gardiner from it. If you keep Gardiner it looks even stronger:
Rielly - Doughty
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

This coupled with the fact that our team is very young and still developing, you would expect our forwards to at least maintain their level of play (factoring in losing scoring from JVR/Bozak) and I believe we actually are a 1RHD from contending. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I could see the Leafs throwing a lowball at someone like Pateryn or Folin. I think Carlson will simply cost too much, but we'll see what Dubas thinks.

I can see CDH being a serious option. If he can stay healthy, he'd help a lot. Might be a great partner for Liljegren in the future, assuming Timmy pans out.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Greg Pateryn needs more love here

1 year deal 900-950k easily. Always starts in the defensive zone (okay, 62-63% of the time) and around 50% Corsi? Pretty good stuff right there, plus he's hard to play against. We need to get harder to play against.

He'd be a fantastic 6-7 option.

I'm for signing Pateryn as well.

I think it'll cost more than that though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The thing is, signing a bottom pairing RHD doesn' t really do much, except kill some time, until we can actually obtain a top pairing RHD somehow. It's just a time filler. Our issue is that our guys play too much... Hainsey/Zaitsev need to be pushed down, not just have a guy on the third pair. If all other options are exhausted, I guess so.... but....

I'm still in favour of Carlson and Tanev additions, above all other changes this offseason. Carlson is great in the neutral zone, in stopping zone entry, plus the offensive upside, Tanev is great in the D zone.

Pair Carlson with Dermott, and Dermott's advanced stats in limited time were off the charts elite defensively, along with Rielly and Tanev pairings.... you put Dermott and Tanev on the PK, and Carlson/Rielly can play PP.

Reactions: Liminality

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I figure 900k-1.25M but that is about it unless you project the lack of defenseman available making the market pretty stupid.

The issue that I could see though is a few other teams thinking the same as we are and that's all it takes to get a bidding war going.

I'd go as high as $1.75m.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Yeah, Carrick ship is long gone, I could see him moving as part of a package if we acquire a RHD via trade.

In terms of the overrating of Holl, I have seen *some* (i'm not going back to dig up line ups) inserting him onto the NHL roster already. Didn't find him to be amazing in the AHL but he gets a look in camp for sure for a #6-7 spot

I mean if Carrick goes...

Rielly-New D
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

I think the reason people expect Holl is, from podcasts and stuff i listen to, when Sheldon Keefe and Dubas were interviewed in the past about their fav prospects, they both gushed about Hyman the forward and Holl the defender. Back when Hyman was a relative unknown. So theres love within the system for Holl and hes gonna prove himself in the pros eventually.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The thing is, signing a bottom pairing RHD doesn' t really do much, except kill some time, until we can actually obtain a top pairing RHD somehow. It's just a time filler. Our issue is that our guys play too much... Hainsey/Zaitsev need to be pushed down, not just have a guy on the third pair. If all other options are exhausted, I guess so.... but....

Only as strong as your weakest links.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad