What would you pay for these UFA defencemen?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hi all. Just curious about what you guys and gals would be willing to pay for some upcoming UFA defenders. I think most of us are expecting a change on the blueline this offseason. I listed just some of the highlights for right-handed UFA's. But feel free to add other names with your guess, and I know some might be re-signed by their current team. If you don't want a guy just ignore that name, they're not all shiny.

Please list the max cap number (and years if you want) to each guy you would be interested in, assuming we only sign one of them. So giving an offer on 3 players doesn't mean you would try to sign all 3 at the same time for those numbers.

Mike Green
John Carlson
Andrej Sustr
Greg Pateryn
Christian Folin
Kevin Bieksa
Cody Franson

Edit: added players as suggested:
Calvin DeHaan (lefty who can play on the right)

Last edited:

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I think I pass on every single one.

I'm worried we are going to sign a Sustr or Pateryn as a stop gap. What a waste that would be. Our Right side would be some order or Hainsey/Zaitsev/Sustr. At that point, just promote Holl and save the dollars for a true upgrade.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I might take a chance on Folin is the price is right.
Big RHD who can move the puck. If Polak isn't coming back, might be a decent tryout.
He's played in decent systems, LA and Minny. 27 years old.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I would have some interest in Christian Folin. I think he is much better than everyone realizes. Pateryn was better this year too, but in large part due to his partner.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd be interested in signing Carlson, but I can't imagine the bidding doesn't get out of hand there. I don't think Green is the best fit for team needs. Beyond that, I wouldn't really want to give term.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d take Franson over Polak but would prefer neither.

If Carlson would sign at a reasonable rate ie 7-7.75ish then yes.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
can jack johnson play right side?

i see us making a short term old vet like signing like hainsey again but for the 3rd pairing, we aint upgrading our top 4 through free agency this summer, unless its a trade

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mike Green $0
John Carlson $8 mil
Andrej Sustr $0
Greg Pateryn $0
Christian Folin $0
Kevin Bieksa $0
Cody Franson $0

Reactions: Liminality

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Calvin da Haan.
You would have to do a cost comparison on De Haan and Gardiner.
Then evaluate both on the pros and cons as well as what this means for the team makeup.
You can decide on one or the other if that's the avenue you want to pursue. I'ts most likely one or the other.
If De Haan is a viable fit and comes in at better cost control, you can deal Gardiner to address the 3C on the team.
You can look at a player like Folin to replace Polak or touch base with Carolina in regards to Faulk/Pesce/etc.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Calvin da Haan.

Can he actually play on the right? I posted in a few threads about him, and the response from the Islanders was mixed, from what I recall.

I'll gladly add him, or any other capable lefties who play right side to the OP.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can he actually play on the right? I posted in a few threads about him, and the response from the Islanders was mixed, from what I recall.

I'll gladly add him, or any other capable lefties who play right side to the OP.

He can play both, but he's more comfortable on the left - he'd still help. You can always bring him in and move someone like Rielly or Gardiner to the right.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You would have to do a cost comparison on De Haan and Gardiner.
Then evaluate both on the pros and cons as well as what this means for the team makeup.
You can decide on one or the other if that's the avenue you want to pursue. I'ts most likely one or the other.
If De Haan is a viable fit and comes in at better cost control, you can deal Gardiner to address the 3C on the team.
You can look at a player like Folin to replace Polak or touch base with Carolina in regards to Faulk/Pesce/etc.

You can have both, and then decide what to do with Gardiner mid-season if the right deal isn't available this off-season.

That would also buy time for players like Borgman, Rosen, and Liljegren, any of whom may (or may not) be ready for the NHL

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I don't think we need to look solely at RHD - Like Trapper mentioned above, if we bring in a guy like De Haan it allows you to move Gardiner for help elsewhere in the lineup.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yup I can see them making a pitch for him

Coming off a shoulder injury. Only played 30 games last year. Full UFA. He won't have much leverage. Good age, good on the puck, and seems like someone Dubas would like.

Can probably get him on a lower term deal too.

I'd definitely try and target him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I don't think we need to look solely at RHD - Like Trapper mentioned above, if we bring in a guy like De Haan it allows you to move Gardiner for help elsewhere in the lineup.

While that's true, I don't want this thread to be about every possible option for trades and mid-season moves. I'm hoping to get a clear idea about how viable/costly some of the UFA options are.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Greg Pateryn needs more love here

1 year deal 900-950k easily. Always starts in the defensive zone (okay, 62-63% of the time) and around 50% Corsi? Pretty good stuff right there, plus he's hard to play against. We need to get harder to play against.

He'd be a fantastic 6-7 option.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
While that's true, I don't want this thread to be about every possible option for trades and mid-season moves. I'm hoping to get a clear idea about how viable/costly some of the UFA options are.
You're not going to get the clearest look at how viable moves are if you force people to look at them in a vacuum. I understand wanting to keep things organized and tidy (especially when there are other threads looking at trades and UFAs) but some options are most viable only if we have other moves planned. At the end of the day, moving on from an expiring contract and replacing them with a UFA like De Haan might be the most viable option we have to improve our overall roster this off-season.

It's gonna be a pretty boring thread if the only responses are dollars and terms.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Mike Green - 3 mil
John Carlson - 6.5 mil
Andrej Sustr - no idea who he is
Greg Pateryn - no idea who he is
Christian Folin - no idea who he is
Kevin Bieksa - 1 mil PTO
Cody Franson - He still plays?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad