What Would Make You Stop Cheering For The Oilers?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
McDavid trade request. At that point I'll just cheer for individual players.

It's not even a far off possibility at this point...we could easily miss the next two post-seasons.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If you lived through seeing Coffey, Moog, Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson traded, then lived through Graves, Gelinas, Guerin, Weight, Joseph, Smyth traded, then the shit show that was the DoD and Dallas Eakins, you can live through anything.

I may get pissed off, disappointed or discouraged but I wont stop cheering. Wont break my ankles jumping on and off the bandwagon.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Go into next season with the same management, coaching staff and no real upgrades in terms of player personnel.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'll admit that I was on the verge of being done for good after MacT's presser following the 14-15 season. Then McDavid happened.

What would make you quit the Oilers for good?

nothing will make me stop cheering for the team.

however circumstances often dictate I spend less time following the team, spending money on them or watching games.
for example, this past year I spent not one dime on the team, and often just followed how they did the next day via HF boards and box scores, not bothering to watch games.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Most of you guys have been posting through most of the Decade of Darkness so if you still care after the worst stretch in sports history, you will always care. Oiler hockey is a hell of a drug.

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Most of you guys have been posting through most of the Decade of Darkness so if you still care after the worst stretch in sports history, you will always care. Oiler hockey is a hell of a drug.
I tuned out more this past season than I did during the DoD.

If Connor McDavid can't save this team I'm not sure who can.

Reactions: Aerrol

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
as a fan in Calgary you don't live through the constant beating and ridicule over the last decade without the glimmer of hope to laugh and shove it in every single persons face.

and im not oblivious to the fact that the oilers have won more playoff games since 2010 than the flames have.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Again, because that's working out well in Buffalo right now.
No two teams are in the same situation, but it's pretty widely accepted here that the OBC needs to be shitcanned. If they did I wouldn't even mind if Chiarelli stayed aboard.

Status quo hasn't worked for this team in a very long time yet they continue to follow it...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you actually believe this, then you've already decided how you feel about the team.

My point remains the same, Re: Eichel, yes he got people fired, but that had yet to achieve anything resembling results.
Remember how many people were comparing us to the Penguins and Lightning, et al?

The Oilers are always a special case because they continually embrace failure.

There's only one team that the Oilers resemble and that's unfortunately themselves. The problem has always been staring the team in the face and they keep ignoring it.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If Chiarelli makes another bone-headed trade I might need to take a hiatus until he is fired.

To completely walk from the team? I honestly dont know. I’ve stuck with them through the Gretzky deal, died a little but stayed when Messier got traded. Toughed it out through the early ‘90s dismantling. Suffered through financially forced trades of Guerin, Cujo, Doug Weight. Watched the Oilers blow 1st rd pick after pick after pick. Stayed through the fiascos with the Comrie trade, Sheldon Souray debacle, shamelessly chasing Heatley and Hossa. The Vanek offer sheet and Nylander mess. The DOD. I probably shouldnt be with this sham of an organization anymore. I guess its just ingrained in my makeup and its part of who I see myself as. I am probably in it for life, come what may.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'll never stop cheering for them but I can stop caring/paying attention and I'm pretty close to that point.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Nothing really....I either cheer for the Oilers or, if they pissed me off enough, I would just take a break from watching hockey.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Nothing would ever stop me from being a fan. I love the Oilers.

However, a McDavid trade would make me go from a tier 1 fan (season tickets) to a tier 3 fan (just enjoy on TV)

More terrible other trades I would go from tier 1 to tier 2 fan (go to 10 games or less)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nothing short of relocation and rebranding of the team (e.g., Winnipeg to Phoenix situation).

I've survived being an Oilers fan living in Chicago, which has been interesting since the Hawks starting winning Cups in 2010 . Never wavered though, mainly because I never want to be a bandwagon fan.

Reactions: TB12

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid traded would be the last straw. I probably would stop watching hockey all together. Still play though. Wait for perhaps the next iteration of the Oilers once this one moves out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad