What Would Make You Stop Cheering For The Oilers?

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Ha ha yeah the two declining teams our team was built to beat both got swept by teams built with speed and skill.

I wouldn't classify vegas as extremely fast or skilled. they play tenacious hockey and move the puck well but are also no wilting lillies having shown they can be physical. The kings and ducks are simply over the hill but in both cases if it was those teams from 3-4 years ago they would have run through their competition like Mexican water through a tourist.

In fact the poster boys for speed and skill aka the lafes and devils are barely hanging on. you can win the regular season with speed, that stops on day one of the post season. to win in the playoffs you bleed.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I wouldn't classify vegas as extremely fast or skilled. they play tenacious hockey and move the puck well but are also no wilting lillies having shown they can be physical. The kings and ducks are simply over the hill but in both cases if it was those teams from 3-4 years ago they would have run through their competition like Mexican water through a tourist.

You cant play Vegas's game without speed.

Also "wilting lillies" is not an expression.

In fact the poster boys for speed and skill aka the lafes and devils are barely hanging on. you can win the regular season with speed, that stops on day one of the post season. to win in the playoffs you bleed

Neither team is getting run out of the rink.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
You cant play Vegas's game without speed.

Also "wilting lillies" is not an expression.

Neither team is getting run out of the rink.

You're right it's not. I put one to many L's in it. a wilting lily is akin to a shrinking violet and is an expression, maybe not one a 13 year old is familiar with but an expression none the less.

#2, what games are you watching? according to the box score maybe they're not. In reality they are getting their shows run. Tampa bay hasn't even broke a sweat yet and both jersey and toronto can book Tee times for sunday

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You're right it's not. I put one to many L's in it. a wilting lily is akin to a shrinking violet and is an expression, maybe not one a 13 year old is familiar with but an expression none the less.

Shrinking violet, yes. Gilded lily, yep. Your thing? No.

#2, what games are you watching? according to the box score maybe they're not. In reality they are getting their shows run. Tampa bay hasn't even broke a sweat yet and both jersey and toronto can book Tee times for sunday

The point, and I'll use small words for you, is they aren't getting outmatched physically. Tampa has the smallest forward group in the league and Boston is 12th out of 6 in hits. In fact, out of the top 5 in hits, 4 are either out or on the brink.

Reactions: Summary

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
Shrinking violet, yes. Gilded lily, yep. Your thing? No.

The point, and I'll use small words for you, is they aren't getting outmatched physically. Tampa has the smallest forward group in the league and Boston is 12th out of 6 in hits. In fact, out of the top 5 in hits, 4 are either out or on the brink.

Guilding the lily is putting lipstick on a pig. a wilting flower (any flower will suffice be it lily rose etc) implies that they shrivel up and wither when the heat is on. maybe you don't learn that stuff till grade 12 these days...

12th out of 6 in hits you say. That's a cool trick.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Guilding the lily is putting lipstick on a pig. a wilting flower (any flower will suffice be it lily rose etc) implies that they shrivel up and wither when the heat is on. maybe you don't learn that stuff till grade 12 these days...

Gilding the lily means to unnecessarily dress something up that's already nice. Shrinking violet refers to a shy person. I dunno if you're actually older than me (I seriously doubt it) but you certainly don't know jack squat about idioms.

12th out of 6 in hits you say. That's a cool trick.

Hmm yes, if only there was some way to use your brain to identify context clues to help you decipher a phrase marred by a typo.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
Gilding the lily means to unnecessarily dress something up that's already nice. Shrinking violet refers to a shy person. I dunno if you're actually older than me (I seriously doubt it) but you certainly don't know jack squat about idioms.

Hmm yes, if only there was some way to use your brain to identify context clues to help you decipher a phrase marred by a typo.
Engaging in this forum I have recently become much closer acquainted with the T's than the M's,

Pigs are nice if you're a bacon fan. The key in that phrase is "unnecessarily dress something up. "

yes a shrinking violet means to shy away from. In this case physical contact. similar to wilting or shriveling away from the source of the heat.

ha. Pot meet kettle. If only there was a way to focus on the actual content of the message instead of getting all twisted up over an idiom to which you are unfamiliar. Possibly using deductive reasoning. But it's ok . I get it . math is logic and that is hard for you.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have to admit this is kind of fun to watch, but I have to admit I hadn't heard of a tilted lily as an idiom before either, but it was pretty easy to understand the intent so I may use it in the future. I have heard of lily-livered though.

Sorry, I'll go back under my rock.

Reactions: BigFuzzyDice

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dont think that I could ever stop cheering for the Oilers and hoping they do well. That said I am finding that I care less about the team as time under Katz ownership passes.

If things continue the way they have been (and the dysfunction is allowed to continue) I will care less and less...at some point that may mean that the teams exploits becomes a footnote.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I won't ever stop cheering, but have def turned into more of a casual fan. If you can't put a decent team together with the best player in the world, you aren't worth my full attention.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There isn't a single person in here who would stop cheering for them unless the team relocated, let's be honest.

Reactions: ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There isn't a single person in here who would stop cheering for them unless the team relocated, let's be honest.

Yup.
I dont think its about if you might stop cheering but more about if you might stop caring.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Nothing.

You get through the decade of darkness, you get through anything.

It can suck, but nothing can stop me for cheering for my team.

I like this answer - a true fan. Do you go to the games? Do you have season tickets? Nice to see some loyalty though you realize it's a one way street right? Read on

I think most fans just distance themselves and then come back when things are better. Hard to do that though with 97.

I'd say mcd not being there or lowe back as gm would be close to doing it.

How about your team moving? I grew up in Wpg - hated - I mean HATED the Oilers - as much as you probably hate the Flames. But 10 years of not having a team, living in Edmonton, and then watching the cup run and Sather no longer here, and I became a die hard Oilers fan. Go figure. But McDavid right now is the last string for me - I'm a huge McDavid fan and as long as he's here - though the way the 'new' Jets are playing, who are my second fav team... well that's an organization the Oilers should emulate again. How do you think they built their Cup teams the first time? Don't take my word for it - just research it. Sather patterned the Oilers after the WHA Jets

Yup. I feel nothing anymore, aside from McDavid and Draisaitl.

It’s like hating your job because you have a terrible manager.

I feel free to look elsewhere. I don’t owe this team anything anymore.

They owe you nothing. All the Oilers do is jack their prices up year after year after year. They had what, 10 million in cap space this year? They didnt' use it to get better to at least try to give the fans who are paying through the nose something to cheer about did they?

Nothing could ever possibly stop me from cheering for the Oilers. No matter how much incompetence runs through the organization or if the losses outweigh the wins, there’s not a ****ing chance I could ever cheer for another team with even close to the same amount of passion. Too emotionally invested and too loyal in nature. Plus I’m a prideful Edmontonian, and the Oilers give the city I love something to cheer for.

Nothing huh? So you realize the Oilers are a business. So lets say you have a favorite restaurant. You proposed to your wife there. You took your kids there for special BD's. You took your parents there for their 50th anniversary. Now the owner change, food gives you diarrhea when you're lucky, you miss a week of work when you're not. The serving staff treats you like you're a nuisance, and you're inconveniencing them. How many times will you keep going to your favorite restaurant before you finally decide "Gee, maybe I should try another place - good memories here but I can't support this place anymore".

That's not saying you can't go back if it cleans it's act up, but you're really going to go back there everytime you have a night out?

Now I know you're going to say 'Its not the same' but you tell me how it isn't. What's that restaurant's #1 priorty? Same as the Oilers. Same as the Eskimos'. Same as Bank of Montreal. Same as any other business MAKE MONEY. Obviously customer loyalty goes a long way to achieving that goal don't get me wrong, but never ever confuse customer loyalty with business loyalty.

If the Oilers cared and were loyal to their fans, they'd be a the max in cap year in and year out and they would all be working very hard in putting the best product out on the ice. The players would also work as hard as they could (realizing of course there will always be slumps and bad bounces) and not out drinking and fighting and hitting tables (different stories on Draisaitl no idea which one is true) in season.

So for those that won't change - hope you're also spending your coin to go to the games and 'support' them LOL.

For me, tide is turning. Doesn't mean I won't go back the Oilers once they start 'serving good food' again, but if they keep putting garbage on my plate and charging me an arm and leg for it - other than McDavid I'd much rather take the money for one game ticket and get NHL center ice to watch the Jets play their games.

All that being said - right now I"m still an Oilers fan (I'm here so obviously as I don't troll) but if they have another off season now like they did last year - I'll be getting NHL center ice in the fall. If the Jets win the Stanley Cup - I probably will anyway. That organisation knows how to build a team, how to develop players, and how to make trades. And the Jet players actually do give a damn about their fans (just read Laine's comments, or Wheeler's). Go figure!

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I like this answer - a true fan. Do you go to the games? Do you have season tickets? Nice to see some loyalty though you realize it's a one way street right? Read on

Go figure!

Impressive wall of text. I'm from the school of thought that you get one team in a professional sport league. One. That's it. Choose wisely.

Do I hate a lot of things about the Oilers and their management/trades/drafting/development/coaches, etc? Yup, sure do.

But they're my team. Fandom is essentially irrational. And I will always be an Oilers fan (barring a relocation). Sometimes fandom wanes and you pay less attention but I could never cheer for another team. When the Oil are out I cheer against teams. Because I sure as hell don't have a 2nd or 3rd "favourite" team. Congrats to you that you're enjoying the Jets run, doesn't mean I'm going to jump on someone else's bandwagon.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Impressive wall of text. I'm from the school of thought that you get one team in a professional sport league. One. That's it. Choose wisely.

Do I hate a lot of things about the Oilers and their management/trades/drafting/development/coaches, etc? Yup, sure do.

But they're my team. Fandom is essentially irrational. And I will always be an Oilers fan (barring a relocation). Sometimes fandom wanes and you pay less attention but I could never cheer for another team. When the Oil are out I cheer against teams. Because I sure as hell don't have a 2nd or 3rd "favourite" team. Congrats to you that you're enjoying the Jets run, doesn't mean I'm going to jump on someone else's bandwagon.

Hey no worries - don't expect you to. Also I hope you don't lose the Oilers for 10 years like I lost my (original) Jets for 10 years and end up a Flames fan. That's exactly how it went down for me. It's not fun. But I don't take back anything I said. Remember - old Jet fan - look at their old record - TWO playoff series wins (both against Calgary) and half the time they were in the league they were out of the playoffs. We even had some pretty dysfunctional managment there too (I still remember Mr. Russian himself - GM Mike Smith - announcing in the first round of the draft the Jets proudly selecting Sergei Bautin - even Bob McKenzie didn't know who this guy was. Jets could've taken him in the 10th round).

But I've never seen anything as dysfuntional as this organization. Trading a first (Matt Barzal) and second (Brandon Carlo) round pick to the Islanders for a defenseman that 'supposedly' know one in our organisation saw play in two years. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at the time - and even went so far as to say that if Reinhart played in Las Vegas as a top 4 then they proved right they were just a couple years behind. But hiring Coffey was an utter and complete joke. The guy isn't even here. Apparently he hasn't spent more than 2 hours on the ice with either the Oilers or the Condors. The more old 'hated' Oilers that hop on the ship - the farther they are pushing me away. But like I said, if they ever straighten things out - I'll be a fan again. It's nice having two teams when one of them is doing well - would like to see both do well. Pressure is on. Draisaitl/McDavid - if you can't ice a competitive team with those two studs at center - and if you dont clear house, I can't see how anyone could support them (current management). Bobby Burger talks about 'the plan' - I still have no idea what he plan is. Especially when PC announces his first round pick is in play this year if it's not the in the top 3. Kyle Connor was picked 16th a couple of years ago and is on the Jets #1 line and scored over 30 goals as a rookie - and he's on his ELC. But PC can't find someone at #9. Should be interesting this off season - lets see what kind of buffoon he really is

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Hey no worries - don't expect you to. Also I hope you don't lose the Oilers for 10 years like I lost my (original) Jets for 10 years and end up a Flames fan. That's exactly how it went down for me. It's not fun. But I don't take back anything I said. Remember - old Kyle Connor was picked 16th a couple of years ago and is on the Jets #1 line and scored over 30 goals as a rookie - and he's on his ELC. But PC can't find someone at #9. Should be interesting this off season - lets see what kind of buffoon he really is

It just seems like you're here to pump the Jets tires. I don't get it, what's the end game with posting stuff like this?

You were probably one of those guys cheering like crazy for the Oil last year in the playoffs and making snide remarks about "Chevel-days-off" at the trade deadline.

Congrats that the Jets built well through the draft. I'm obviously upset about many, MANY of the choices the Oilers have made, whether it be trades or drafting. But I'm still not going to bail on them. Like I said earlier, it is my belief that it is a massive copout when people have 2 favourite teams. It's like having 2 favourite wives. The Oilers are my team and I'll complain about them when they make stupid decisions (which, unfortunately seems to be quite often) but I'm not going to jump to another team. If they leave I will NEVER cheer for Calgary, I'll just support the Bears more.

Just go to the Jets board if you want to brag about how good Kyle Connor is.

Last edited:

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
Hey no worries - don't expect you to. Also I hope you don't lose the Oilers for 10 years like I lost my (original) Jets for 10 years and end up a Flames fan. That's exactly how it went down for me. It's not fun. But I don't take back anything I said. Remember - old Jet fan - look at their old record - TWO playoff series wins (both against Calgary) and half the time they were in the league they were out of the playoffs. We even had some pretty dysfunctional managment there too (I still remember Mr. Russian himself - GM Mike Smith - announcing in the first round of the draft the Jets proudly selecting Sergei Bautin - even Bob McKenzie didn't know who this guy was. Jets could've taken him in the 10th round).

But I've never seen anything as dysfuntional as this organization. Trading a first (Matt Barzal) and second (Brandon Carlo) round pick to the Islanders for a defenseman that 'supposedly' know one in our organisation saw play in two years. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at the time - and even went so far as to say that if Reinhart played in Las Vegas as a top 4 then they proved right they were just a couple years behind. But hiring Coffey was an utter and complete joke. The guy isn't even here. Apparently he hasn't spent more than 2 hours on the ice with either the Oilers or the Condors. The more old 'hated' Oilers that hop on the ship - the farther they are pushing me away. But like I said, if they ever straighten things out - I'll be a fan again. It's nice having two teams when one of them is doing well - would like to see both do well. Pressure is on. Draisaitl/McDavid - if you can't ice a competitive team with those two studs at center - and if you dont clear house, I can't see how anyone could support them (current management). Bobby Burger talks about 'the plan' - I still have no idea what he plan is. Especially when PC announces his first round pick is in play this year if it's not the in the top 3. Kyle Connor was picked 16th a couple of years ago and is on the Jets #1 line and scored over 30 goals as a rookie - and he's on his ELC. But PC can't find someone at #9. Should be interesting this off season - lets see what kind of buffoon he really is

The boo hooing about the reinhart deal is hilarious. They unloaded him to vegas ffs. and if you look at what other teams did there where a few that paid a similar price through expansion to ensure they didn't pillage the cores. several gifted vegas a pair of draft picks to accomplish this at least two gave up a first and a third so a first and 2nd is a minor overpay in the grand scheme of things because after all picks are just potential. If they had a crystal ball.sure they'd pick barzal but so would a dozen ahead of them. Yet they still managed to stick vegas with a worthless asset. That is a well executed con job.

complaining that they didn't spend right to the cap to start the season is just as good.. damned if you do , damned if you don't. It is pretty evident they thought they had enough team there to be in contention for a playoff spot at the tdl and they where keeping their powder dry for that eventuality. If they spent to the cap off the hop people would have lost their collective minds had they been forced to mortgage future assets for a little rental help if the opportunity for a run materialized. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Disagree. As I get older I attempt to make better uses of my time. For a long time I've considered sports as somewhat of a vice. At times I've been able to pull away. Mid 90's but then Ryan Smyth came along and a version of the team that re-instilled faith. Then K Lowe management, the Comrie buying out of contract saga disillusioned me with the club. Then Pronger and a SC playoff run reinstilled interest. Then years of suffering deteriorated interest and then getting guys like Hall, Drai, McD reinstilled interest. Different things like this kind of draw fans back in but there would be few easier orgs in which its reasonable to pull interest. This org simply doesn't deserve it. it doesn't deserve my time. I consider my following of this club an addiction. I go with it as much as I do because theres worse vices out there. This one is relatively harmless, mostly a waste of time. The enjoyment ratio doesn't make it time well spent. I enjoy maybe half the games. Not even.

As bad as this org is the Eskimos have entered into an even worse phase completely disrespecting the fan, engaging idiot coaching staffs, having an offseason where the team loses several fan favorite star players, a team that fired the best GM we have had in decades for no reason, a team that lost its GC winning coach to a franchise with less deep pockets. Its been easy (more than I thought) to completely pull my support from that org. I say that as an example. Similar occurred with Edmonton FC. Loved following that club on the southside at the great Foote Field facility. Just a wonderfully suitable facility that was the right size, amenity. Then the org moved to the deplorable wind swept Clarke stadium in which on windy days the players have trouble even keeping the ball on the pitch. Watched 2 games at that facility, poor fan experiences in the rain and wind, and never went back. The facilities at Clarke being a complete joke. Just stopped going. Went from avid fan to interest falling off a cliff.

I won't go to Esks games now. I rarely go to Oilers games or spend anything on prosports. This summer the World Cup is on and that will capture my sporting interest. Other than that I'll be enjoying being outdoors in the summer. I find even the NHL playoffs far less enticing than prior. Not because of quality of play which is quite high. I just rather be spending my time more productively.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I have no difficulty with you posting your experiences here. I mean a lot of us feel similarly. I think what doesn't get noticed is how deep the pain would be to lose your team. To outright lose it. As much as theres been chronic threats in regards to the Oilers they never went anywhere. You lost the Jets for 15years btw. Oilers fans have no same perspective in which to compare that to. Sure we had the sale of Gretzky, pull out of Pronger, but we didn't have the abject MOVING of the team to completely teach us that pro sports is just a brand. Nothing more.

In anycase you just capture what losing faith looks like. Losing religion is OK, even sports.. Marx would even approve..;)

I often think about what would have occurred if puck just moved the team in the 90's. We would probably have an MLS team by now instead, probably huge support for that instead. We'd have more support for Oil Kings. We'd be more on the stage for Hockey Canada and tournaments like Winnipeg often is. But mostly we'd have 25yrs back of not wasting time following this org. We wouldn't have required the .6Billion expense of a new arena, Rexall place (with better affordable seating options and seating layout) would still suffice.

One thing is clear. Had I not been a fan originally of the glory years team I don't think I would ever have been hooked as completely on this product. The org knows it established a lot of lifers with the 80's incarnation. Its been milking that ever since well into the new millennium.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
When it's finally revealed that Vince mcBettman has been scripting this whole thing for the last ten years and they are forced to change the name to the NHE

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The boo hooing about the reinhart deal is hilarious. They unloaded him to vegas ffs. and if you look at what other teams did there where a few that paid a similar price through expansion to ensure they didn't pillage the cores. several gifted vegas a pair of draft picks to accomplish this at least two gave up a first and a third so a first and 2nd is a minor overpay in the grand scheme of things because after all picks are just potential. If they had a crystal ball.sure they'd pick barzal but so would a dozen ahead of them. Yet they still managed to stick vegas with a worthless asset. That is a well executed con job.

complaining that they didn't spend right to the cap to start the season is just as good.. damned if you do , damned if you don't. It is pretty evident they thought they had enough team there to be in contention for a playoff spot at the tdl and they where keeping their powder dry for that eventuality. If they spent to the cap off the hop people would have lost their collective minds had they been forced to mortgage future assets for a little rental help if the opportunity for a run materialized. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

everyone gets to define for themselves what being a fan, or "real fan" is.

everyone gets to decide for themselves how invested they are and what their breaking point is.
what we don't need is you trying to define or lecture us on it.

you sound like a guy lecturing his his current girlfriend about her faults while going on how awesome your ex-wife is.

Reactions: Aerrol

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
It just seems like you're here to pump the Jets tires. I don't get it, what's the end game with posting stuff like this?

You were probably one of those guys cheering like crazy for the Oil last year in the playoffs and making snide remarks about "Chevel-days-off" at the trade deadline.

Congrats that the Jets built well through the draft. I'm obviously upset about many, MANY of the choices the Oilers have made, whether it be trades or drafting. But I'm still not going to bail on them. Like I said earlier, it is my belief that it is a massive copout when people have 2 favourite teams. It's like having 2 favourite wives. The Oilers are my team and I'll complain about them when they make stupid decisions (which, unfortunately seems to be quite often) but I'm not going to jump to another team. If they leave I will NEVER cheer for Calgary, I'll just support the Bears more.

Just go to the Jets board if you want to brag about how good Kyle Connor is.

Nope - try since 2006 not 'last year'. My point is going over your head. See, the Jets were PATIENT and devloped their OWN players. exactly what I though the Oilers would be doing when they drafted Hall. By that I mean - a few lean years but building and developing through the draft. I don't need to say anything else, just watch the games. You're a bit sensitive I think - I'm just speaking facts here. Last thing I heard now (though it's only a rumor) is now we're after a goalie who's 30 in the summer and they're going to sign him for 2.5M x 2 year (5M total). Ok then.... as for jumping to another team - don't judge - good for you. So you'll have no NHL team then. I like how fans run down other fans for 'jumping' teams. I jumped from the Jets to Oilers 'cause there was no Jets. So you want me to jump back to them? I'd rather the Oilers started being ran like a pro team and no the "red wine" team they are - but if they continue your wish (why do you care btw?) will be granted.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Nope - try since 2006 not 'last year'. My point is going over your head. See, the Jets were PATIENT and devloped their OWN players. exactly what I though the Oilers would be doing when they drafted Hall. By that I mean - a few lean years but building and developing through the draft. I don't need to say anything else, just watch the games. You're a bit sensitive I think - I'm just speaking facts here. Last thing I heard now (though it's only a rumor) is now we're after a goalie who's 30 in the summer and they're going to sign him for 2.5M x 2 year (5M total). Ok then.... as for jumping to another team - don't judge - good for you. So you'll have no NHL team then. I like how fans run down other fans for 'jumping' teams. I jumped from the Jets to Oilers 'cause there was no Jets. So you want me to jump back to them? I'd rather the Oilers started being ran like a pro team and no the "red wine" team they are - but if they continue your wish (why do you care btw?) will be granted.
So you admit that you just jumped on the Oilers bandwagon in 2006? Yet the Jets had been gone since 1996. Which team were you bandwagoning from 1996-2006? So excuse me if I don't take lessons on "fandom" from you. Probably a big fan of the Yankees, Duke basketball and Alabama football, too, hey?

Your point is in no way over my head. I am saying your point is irrelevant. Congrats that the Jets developed properly (sarcastic golf clap). Go enjoy the playoffs in Peg City. I am AGREEING with you that Oil management has made (is making) stupid decisions. In no way am I condoning that. But just because I may hate some/many of the decisions they make, I'm not going to stop being a fan. So you can stop preaching to me about all the Oilers failures in management as they are many and are well documented.

Also, why are you saying I'll have no team? The Oil ain't going anywhere, bud.
And I told you, if the Oilers did leave I would just more heavily invest in the Golden Bears.

Reactions: Gord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->