What Would Make You Stop Cheering For The Oilers?

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I'll admit that I was on the verge of being done for good after MacT's presser following the 14-15 season. Then McDavid happened.

What would make you quit the Oilers for good?

I'll always have hope for my home team. The real dilemma comes up if calgary hires nelly. How do I continue to hate them while hoping he succeeds as a bench boss.

Reactions: Keggatron

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If there aren't significant changes this summer with coaching staff and that coaching staff's philosophy, as well as player acquisitions that aren't just complete prayers a washed up bum will return to form, abandon ship.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think most fans just distance themselves and then come back when things are better. Hard to do that though with 97.

I'd say mcd not being there or lowe back as gm would be close to doing it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
nothing I can think of aside from some weird scandal having nothing to do with hockey that is tied to the team

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Nothing could ever possibly stop me from cheering for the Oilers. No matter how much incompetence runs through the organization or if the losses outweigh the wins, there’s not a f***ing chance I could ever cheer for another team with even close to the same amount of passion. Too emotionally invested and too loyal in nature. Plus I’m a prideful Edmontonian, and the Oilers give the city I love something to cheer for.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Honestly nothing, I only actively cheer against the stupid management and what not but Oilers as a team are everything.

Reactions: ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It's like being in a relationship where your partner treats you like complete garbage. Yet you stay anyway hoping one day it gets better, even though you think about leaving and dreaming about a life elsewhere.

I'm in it for the long haul. I don't think I can cheer for another NHL team.

Reactions: OilDrop37 and ujju2

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Nothing except maybe relocation since then they'd cease to be the Edmonton Oilers.

Not sure if I could cheer for the team under a different name/city. Hope I never have to find out.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nothing. I’ve been thru the Gretzky trade, selling of numerous star players and the OBC era. Still nice 1993 this team has been garbage but I keep coming back.

Reactions: OilDrop37

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Pretty much the worst that can happen has already happened.

- Longest post season drought in NHL history
- Traded away half the assets we painfully gathered together in those awful years, losing the Schultz, Hall, Eberle, and Reinhart trades pretty much instantly
- Greedy owner that gouged tax payers for his own profit, while insulting hockey's most loyal fanbase by suggesting to move the team to Seattle
- Going through an endless cycle of poorly performing staff, with little to not attempt to hire outside the organization
- Said staff members showed no humility, defended themselves and deflected blame at all times, and in some cases were even brought back again despite historically bad performances.
- Fan relations are as if the Oilers are run by the KGB , kicking fans out of games for critical chants or signs, drowning out boos with loud music, and controlling the media with propaganda ministers like Bob Stauffer
- Failure is acceptable in this organization. MacT, Lowe, Howson, etc. oversee the worst decade of NHL hockey ever and remain in powerful positions

The only thing that can go worse is starting a new playoff drought and McDavid asking or a trade. I don't think I'll ever "quit" the Oilers, but I will completely tune them out for the duration of their failures. As soon as they fall off track to make the playofs next year I'm tuning them out

Reactions: Summary

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Something something McDavid gone.

I'd probably just focus more on other hobbies for a few years.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'll always cheer for them, but I sure won't care all the time.

I checked out this year completely emotionally.

Which is probably why I'm getting along so well with everyone!

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I came close after that MacT presser. Like, hair thin from throwing my hands up and saying "screw this".

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever stop cheering for this team. I'm like an addict.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad