Value of: What would it cost for a team to get 1st OA this draft?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When Dahlin doesn’t quite live up to these utterly ridiculous expectations, there’s going to be ugly thread after thread in the main boards tearing him apart next season

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get this is supposed to be sarcastic, but it’s kinda sad how defensive Leaf fans get over Matthews. Dahlin is going to be the best defenseman of this era.

Maybe, but maybe not. It’s not exactly unheard of that a D man taken in the top couple spots never lives up to his ceiling.

A guy like Matthews has already proven that he can be one of the best centres in the league.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
absolutely insane to assume Dahlin>Matthews at this point. 40g as a rookie, 3rd in league scoring while being a selke candidate. kid is special

Lol selke canadate? He barely made the list and Zach Hyman had triple the votes

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I don't think that any team that gets the #1oa this draft will trade it for 2 simple reasons:
1) In a 1 for 1 trade, there are very few players that the team with the pick would accept and those players simply aren't available.
2) The team with the pick isn't going to accept multiple players/prospects/picks because Dahlin is most likely going to be a star player that you can build your franchise around while the "quantity players" you'd get from the trade, while they may be very good and "round out your team" nicely, you do need some elite level talent if you want to compete for the cup.

For example, if the Flyers won the lottery and I were GM, there are only 2 players that I'd trade the pick for, McDavid and Matthews (I know Jack is great but he just doesn't do it for me, I accept that others would, I just wouldn't). The packages suggested in the OP have some great players and a very good offers but I know that I wouldn't accept them. The Flyers have a great stable of young dmen (some still considered prospects) and rather than use Dahlin to get us top level forwards, I'd keep Dahlin and Provo as a NASTY defense combination and trade some of the other guys to round out our offense. Maybe we don't get a Laine, LD or Marner for them but we already have a great first line and if we could use say Sanheim to get a top 6 winger then we could ice two great scoring lines.

That's just how I see it

Reactions: markusschoen76

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
When Dahlin doesn’t quite live up to these utterly ridiculous expectations, there’s going to be ugly thread after thread in the main boards tearing him apart next season
The expectations are so unrealistically high for him. No way he lives up to them in the next couple years (perhaps ever), and people here will call him a bust despite him being a 45-50pt Dman playing 25 mins a night on a top pairing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't trade the 1st. I'll take the chance that this kid is the hype and something extremely special. I'll deal other pieces to help the team. A team I'd hope to build around this kid.
You don't move a franchise C or D.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No team is going to trade a generational DMen. The hype is so great, they're comparing him to McDavid or at least Matthews level dominance.

Notwithstanding, we all expect the Oilers to finish near the bottom and get 1st OA. It's been 2 years since they grabbed the 1st OA or 4 of 8 years, so they're due to get the pick.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Is Dahlin an all around defenceman? Big? More offense?

Very very good offensive instincts. Extremely good skater. Not very big or physical but does hit and won't shy away from the physical play. Very very high hockey IQ so he's above average right now in his own zone.

One drawback I see right now is that he seems to be a bit selfish with the puck.

Reactions: shortfuze

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Doesn't matter because it is hardly ever traded. I can't even remember the last time it happened

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Like would toronto ship marner+ liljegren for 1st OA 2018?

Would oilers give up drailsaitl + pulju
for 1st OA 2018?

Would jets do laine + picks for for 1st OA 2018?

Why would we trade for our own draft pick? Oilers fallin for Dahlin!

Snuuzi

Nov 3, 2017
Whatever the value of the #1 overall pick in 2018, the Oilers should be banned from obtaining it.

This. I doubt a player like Dahlin would ever bust but Edmonton are like worldchampions when it comes to busting. They already ruined atleast two first overall picks and a bunch of other prospects... I want Dahlin nowhere near that shitstorm. Any team but oilers

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The ask would be Matthews, McDavid, Kucherov, etc. types. Obviously all those teams would decline.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
This. I doubt a player like Dahlin would ever bust but Edmonton are like worldchampions when it comes to busting. They already ruined atleast two first overall picks and a bunch of other prospects... I want Dahlin nowhere near that ****storm. Any team but oilers
what 2 1st overall picks were ruined? Yak will be the general pick but he shouldn't of gone first. That was an owner mess up of a pick. Can't be RNH he is a solid 2 way center and is returning to form. As for prospects that are ruined that's not the case. The old scouting department for the Oilers was god awful at drafting ans assessing players. Only pick that really developed somewhat was Davidson. You can also put Khaira. Recently most of the PC picks have been pretty solid decisions so far.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
cost more than last years 1st overall , not as much as the two years before that
if you get the pick keep it ..... it's the prize for sucking so bad

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I've watched Dalhin play a couple of times this year and he might be the best draft eligible D-man I've seen since Hedman.

These kinds of D-man just don't come around that often. I wouldn't touch any offer that came to me if I held that pick in June

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad