Value of: What would give up to trade for McDavid?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is obviously a silly question because they would never trade him and no team would ever make a serious offer for him. Sounds fun though. The max I would be comfortable with the Flyers giving just in terms of value:

Giroux
Neuvirth
Ghost
Schenn
Laughton
1st rounder 2017

Discounting Giroux and the 1st since the trade target is McDavid, the only piece there it would actually pain me to let go there is Ghost.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Some of these offer are real good some are real bad . But consider the good ones gut the teams that the fans cheer for they would be better off not making the trade . They bad ones I understand . Smart fans not wanting to gut their team as you can not win with 1 player . Then there a few insulting ones .

Then there a TML one . I might not be popular with Oilers fans for this one ( I wasn't when I wanted Hall traded for the last 2 years ) , but if I am TML I don't trade Matthews for McDavid . No question McDavid is better but McDavid is also harder to find players that work well with him . Matthews probably will score more goals thru the years while being to find line mates to gel with . Now we do have a good match with Draisaitl but that makes our C depth weak again . I hope I am proven wrong and we can find a RW that will work

HabsFan1994

Feb 1, 2017
I'd sacrifice a newborn child just in hope that Chiarelli accepts to listen to my offer for him...nobody has anything enough (that they are willing to trade) to make it worth for the Oilers.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Monahan + Hamilton from the Flames. You can't put a price tag on that kind of talent.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I never understand why people say McDavid = Crosby. Maybe because they are the best player in the NHL? Their styles are nothing alike.

I'd say style wise McDavid might be more like Tavares, but with better offense. Matthews in play style is closer to Crosby IMO. Crosby is a grinder with elite offense, McDavid is the furthest from it.

I don't care what the actual value is for Oilers to move him, as there is 100% homerism the fans love him. Fans will not give a reasonable price, and the thread even states he won't be moved. So no need to get all offended. The thread is "What would you give".

Matthews is a tad younger and being out produced by a ~13-16 point based off pace, however he is in his rookie season.

Matthews brings many intangibles to the table as well. I understand there needs to be an add here, and a good one.

However, there is a difference between a good one, and Marner. Marner is matching Kane's rookie + 2nd year seasons. He has over PPG in his last 20 something games.

The conversation would end there. Leafs most likely would move some roster players and prospects that had high value. Such as Gardiner, JVR, Kapanen, our 1st (s), Brown, Etc etc.

No way do they even consider Matthews + Marner or Nylander. That trade makes them a worse team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Swap the teams and McDavid instantaneously becomes the highest selling jersey in the NHL and the biggest money maker in the league.

It's not about Matthews, it's about the Leafs.

It's not like McDavid is playing in Arizona or another weak financial hockey market that needs a generational player to sell jerseys and merch. Matthews has enough league-wide recognition that he could succeed in a hockey city like Edmonton easily. When you consider how well he's played, he's hcoming from the Leafs, and the fact that it would be a monstrous trade, I think it is obvious that the Oilers wouldn't suffer too much in terms of profitability (probably make more money if the trade improves their team).

McDavid would be the #1 jersey seller if in Toronto, but Matthews would still be top 10 if he got traded to Edmonton (not that owners care about this as much as some people make it out to be or else there would be more high profile trades because that instantly increases jersey sales as people buy the new players jersey).

As for this thread, I'm a huge McDavid fan. Watched him tear the league apart in Jr's, lives pretty close to me, seems like a genuinely great kid, and his skillset is only rivaled by Crosby. However, I would not trade Matthews + Marner for him as it doesn't help our team long-term.

What is going to help us is having 3 guys that could be top 10 scorers in the league (I think there is a decent chance all 3 young guys have a year where they're top 10 or around it).

While a coaching change helped for sure, adding Kessel turned the Pens from a contender to a favourite and the Leafs look like they could have the same thing if they keep the big 3. Trading 2 of them (or all 3 as it was suggested :laugh:) would turn them from a 3 line to a 1 line team. No matter how good that line is, you can't win with that and JVR isn't the best option to run a line even if we can get away with playing lesser players with McDavid.

As somebody else mentioned, the guy is likely to be too costly to acquire without gutting your team. You would need to have a ridiculously deep team (by deep I mean team full of decent 1st liners) looking to add a star #1C that can get away with overpaying and end up better still... Tell me which team fits that criteria?

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
I'd pay two of:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hamilton, Brodie, Bennett, Tkachuk, Giordano

I would even add depending on the combo.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I was thinking about those two players but with 1st rounders added to the deal.

Monahan + Hamilton, both signed long term, is a pretty fair offer, even for McDavid. I'll add a 2017 1st + a 2018 1st if you add Poolparty

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Some of these offer are real good some are real bad . But consider the good ones gut the teams that the fans cheer for they would be better off not making the trade . They bad ones I understand . Smart fans not wanting to gut their team as you can not win with 1 player . Then there a few insulting ones .

Then there a TML one . I might not be popular with Oilers fans for this one ( I wasn't when I wanted Hall traded for the last 2 years ) , but if I am TML I don't trade Matthews for McDavid . No question McDavid is better but McDavid is also harder to find players that work well with him . Matthews probably will score more goals thru the years while being to find line mates to gel with . Now we do have a good match with Draisaitl but that makes our C depth weak again . I hope I am proven wrong and we can find a RW that will work

That's why I put forth the Matthews +1st/Kapanen/Nielsen or Dermott proposal. Anyone that thinks McDavid is getting Matthews+Marner or Nylander is insane, McDavid is the better player now but Auston still has a ton of upside that is unrealized and upside that he can easily tap into in Toronto with Babcock/Lou and his amazing cast where he can slot in with Willie, Marner or even work well with lesser players like Hyman and Brown who still have growth to do themselves.

It would be very hard emotionally to lose Auston as he's such a great kid and ofc I'm not saying Connor isn't, although Connor is a bit more awkward whereas Auston has this suave/calm demeanor that I think works very well with the media in Toronto.

Ultimately, it would be an EXTREMELY hard decision as to whether or not to pull the trigger being that McDavid is a hometown boy (we'll probably sign him in 5-6 years anyways :sarcasm:) and he is already a top 5 player in the league.

I think even if we did the trade both teams would get better for it (Edmonton might take a bit of a hit right away, but not much), but it's just so hard for both of them to let go.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That's why I put forth the Matthews +1st/Kapanen/Nielsen or Dermott proposal. Anyone that thinks McDavid is getting Matthews+Marner or Nylander is insane.

Nothing insane. Matthews and Marner would be gone tomorrow for McDavid if Edmonton said yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad