Value of: What would give up to trade for McDavid?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So I was fiddling around with NHL16 trade manager and saw some interesting results in regards to what the Oilers accepted from each team to trade for Connor McDavid

What team do you support and what deal would you do to acquire McDavid straight up (no other assets), that the Oilers would likely accept?

Example:
Arizona Coyotes - Ekman-Larsson, Domi and/or Strome, and a 2017 1st rounder
Buffalo Sabres - Eichel, Ristolainen, (maybe Okposo) and a 2018 1st rounder

etc.

I don't speak on behalf of my fellow Canuck fans, but I'd pretty much give up anything and everything (i.e. "The Lindros deal.").

Horvat, Juolevi, Boeser, Demko, and 2 1st round picks.

Guys like McDavid comes once every 10-15 years if you're lucky.

Furthermore, generational talents like McDavid would attract high ticket free agents like flies on ****.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't speak on behalf of my fellow Canuck fans, but I'd pretty much give up anything and everything (i.e. "The Lindros deal.").

Horvat, Juolevi, Boeser, Demko, and 2 1st round picks.

Guys like McDavid comes once every 10-15 years if you're lucky.

Furthermore, generational talents like McDavid would attract high ticket free agents like flies on ****.

"I just read this thread about what you'd give up for McDavid and some guy said McDavid is ****!" :laugh:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
From Jets? Scheifele, Ehlers, Byfuglien and Connor. That should be enough.

Scheifele, Ehlers and Byfuglien all fill big needs for Oilers. I actually think that this trade would benefit them quite a bit in the short run. Some cap would have to come back of course.

Maybe adding Connor would be unnecessary, even.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
The only way the Oilers would trade McDavid is if he flat out refused to play or demanded a trade. Even salary cap doesn't matter because you tell everyone else to **** up a rope because you need to keep McDavid and even they all know it's the right thing to say. He's so young that the normal off ice reasons guys demand trades, unhappy wife, sick parents, too much time away from kids, etc. don't really apply to him. I could see if a parent took ill and needed to be in a specific city for treatment that he could only rarely get to because of the western travel schedule for example. Other than something unforseen that has not actually occurred, I don't see why you trade him. He's the best car you can imagine, whatever that is. You don't take him to a dealer and see how many different cars off their lot they will give you for him. It just doesn't make any sense.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So I was fiddling around with NHL16 trade manager and saw some interesting results in regards to what the Oilers accepted from each team to trade for Connor McDavid

What team do you support and what deal would you do to acquire McDavid straight up (no other assets), that the Oilers would likely accept?

Example:
Arizona Coyotes - Ekman-Larsson, Domi and/or Strome, and a 2017 1st rounder
Buffalo Sabres - Eichel, Ristolainen, (maybe Okposo) and a 2018 1st rounder

etc.

If you are an expansion franchise and you can make mcdavid or Crosby or Orr or lemieux or gretzky your first pick... Its reasonable to expect a couple cup wins over the next decade...

So you trade anything you must among existing players

What you must be careful is taking back salary... trading away picks/future

Among established players in nhl... there's no combination of 5 names I wouldn't trade for mcdavid... this doesn't include first and second year players

But for example from boston... I deal bergeron, marchand, rask, pastrnak and carlo..

It might take 3-4 years to recover but then we are cup contender next 5-6 years

Look at the Eric lindros deal or first Wayne gretzky trade for what generation players are worth

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Cool aid? I dont even slightly like the Leafs :laugh:

McDavid will be the best player in the league for a long time, but he is not worth what will likely be two other top 5 forwards in the game who are the same age.

Thats like Pittsburgh declining Crosby for Malkin and Kane if they were all the same age.

Toronto might keep what they have... but given their 50 year history, I'm not sure it's the right choice.

Luckily for Toronto Matthews is pretty good

When Forsberg was dealt for lindros it can be argued Philly should have kept forsberg. Putting all your eggs in one basket hurts if that egg gets cracked.

Crosby is worth more than Malkin and kane... if all our healthy and a team is starting from scratch... but the team that has Malkin and kane doesn't need to feel sad.

Mcdavid fits in the same breath that only 5-6 other names in the last 50 years can fit. He still needs to stay healthy before his accomplishments equal his potential. Right now we are only talking potential and expectation...

Hope sells tickets and merchandise though.. buyrates.

buy rates Toronto they make money even with the joke that was the past 50 years...so if you don't want mcdavid its fine. But mcdavid is worth anything on leafs team same as he's worth anything on my Bruins too

afcyung

Apr 2, 2016
I wouldnt trade anything for him. I would offer sheet him in hopes that Edm would feel so pressured into matching my crazy offer that it just sends them into cap hell.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nothing. I mean, I value McDavid higher than any player in the league but no trade to realistically acquire McDavid would make my team any better.

Regardless McDavid is worth more than the Leafs can afford.

Pretty sure the Leafs are among only maybe 2 or 3 teams that have the pieces to acquire McDavid, but any such deal would be unrealistic.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The only kool aid drinker here is you if you don't think a 19 year old rookie who is on pace for almost 40 goals in his rookie season and a 19 year old rookie on pace for 50+ assists and 70+ points in his rookie season aren't potential top 5 forwards in the game. Go get some rest.

Whatever.. anyone could be a top 5 forward in the game. We dont see Buf fans claiming Eichel to be one.. or NJ fans claiming Hall to be one.. Laine, Seguin, Kane, Benn, Gaudreau so on and so forth. Chances of Marner being a top5 forward in the game are about the same as him not being a top 40 forward of the game.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The only kool aid drinker here is you if you don't think a 19 year old rookie who is on pace for almost 40 goals in his rookie season and a 19 year old rookie on pace for 50+ assists and 70+ points in his rookie season aren't potential top 5 forwards in the game. Go get some rest.

Best way to decide if someone is top 5 is to list other guys we think are top 5 and see what names show up

Of course points is one way to measure but most people like a well rounded game... leadership qualities help...

My attempt for top 5...

Gotta go with Crosby at 1

There's a drop off to oveckin at 2... but goal scoring and power game is impressive

A healthy Jamie Benn has looked really impressive in recent seasons... scoring crowns help...

Malkin benefits being the second dog and not facing top checking all the time... but his scoring remains top notch even when Crosby is out. Crosby gets more quality icetime and linemates than malkin... I'm going to give credit here

4 very worthy perennial map candidates here.... only 1 spot still open

Mcdavid with his unmatched speed/skill?
Kane with his cups and scoring title?
Kopitar with his dominant 2 way game?
Toews with his package?

Stamkos with a 60 goal season?
Tavares with his track record and ability?

I'm not sure we can put Matthews into top 10 discussion. Who do we drop here?

Good news is Matthews looks great. Yes one of the top 5 guys to enter the league in past 3 seasons...he might become Toronto's best player of the past 50 years. Maple leaf fans have every right to be happy to have him...

But trying to argue him top 5 is a bit ridiculous. Top 50 absolutely... Top 40 I say yes... Top 30... I think so... even top 20 there's a chance

Not top 5

As for mariner in this discussion... I mean my Bruins have a guy on pace for around 40 goals and 80 points in his 3rd year too... Someone we've been training to play 2way hockey. Is pastrnak going to be called a top 5 guy? How many top 5 guys are there? 5? Not every good player can be top 5?

I doubt either marnier nor pastrnak will ever be considered top 20 guys... but that's ok. They can still be point per game scorers and fun to watch and help our teams...

But be more realistic and aware of true value when we make these claims and our words and arguments can be taken more serious

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I hate the Leafs more than anyone but that's an overpayment. Matthews and Marner is tons of value.

And not even remotely close to getting you a generational talent.

Its a bit like saying Wendell Clark and Vincent damphouse were fair value for Mario lemieux

Or Dennis savard and Bobby carpenter were fair value for Wayne gretzky

You don't trade generation talent for very very good players unless that generational talent refuses to play for you

Even Eric lindros if he stayed healthy... and considering forsberg was amazing... probably would have been a mistake to trade

In my 50 year lifetime there is 5 guys before mcdavid who were this special. .. this above the pack... 1 of whom has bad attitude and injuries that stop him from achieving success but other 4 all have dynasty teams built around them.

With 80% success rate of building a dynasty team around this type of player, you keep him

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Best way to decide if someone is top 5 is to list other guys we think are top 5 and see what names show up

Of course points is one way to measure but most people like a well rounded game... leadership qualities help...

My attempt for top 5...

Gotta go with Crosby at 1

There's a drop off to oveckin at 2... but goal scoring and power game is impressive

A healthy Jamie Benn has looked really impressive in recent seasons... scoring crowns help...

Malkin benefits being the second dog and not facing top checking all the time... but his scoring remains top notch even when Crosby is out. Crosby gets more quality icetime and linemates than malkin... I'm going to give credit here

4 very worthy perennial map candidates here.... only 1 spot still open

Mcdavid with his unmatched speed/skill?
Kane with his cups and scoring title?
Kopitar with his dominant 2 way game?
Toews with his package?

Stamkos with a 60 goal season?
Tavares with his track record and ability?

I'm not sure we can put Matthews into top 10 discussion. Who do we drop here?

Good news is Matthews looks great. Yes one of the top 5 guys to enter the league in past 3 seasons...he might become Toronto's best player of the past 50 years. Maple leaf fans have every right to be happy to have him...

But trying to argue him top 5 is a bit ridiculous. Top 50 absolutely... Top 40 I say yes... Top 30... I think so... even top 20 there's a chance

Not top 5

As for mariner in this discussion... I mean my Bruins have a guy on pace for around 40 goals and 80 points in his 3rd year too... Someone we've been training to play 2way hockey. Is pastrnak going to be called a top 5 guy? How many top 5 guys are there? 5? Not every good player can be top 5?

I doubt either marnier nor pastrnak will ever be considered top 20 guys... but that's ok. They can still be point per game scorers and fun to watch and help our teams...

But be more realistic and aware of true value when we make these claims and our words and arguments can be taken more serious

You're delusional, Matthews is on pace for a top 10 ALL TIME season in terms of goal scoring NHL rookies. If we're counting since the lockout, there is ONE nhl rookie who scored over 40 and that was Ovie, I can give you Crosby who was at 39 too, still doesn't matter.

In terms of points, Matthews and Marners will be in the high 60s maybe low 70s. There are 10 rookies that have over 63 points since the lockout, again we can count McDavid if you really want.

If McDavid was offered for Matthews and Marner, Leafs would decline without hesitation. Both of their rookie seasons are amazing in their own right and even more amazing when you consider the expectations on them.

McDavid will be a great player and will likely match Crosby, but I'll take Kopitar and Kane over him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't. McDavid is an absolutely elite talent, but I don't think there is a way you can win a trade for him without gutting your franchise. I think you have a better chance of being a cup contender without trading for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad