Value of: What would give up to trade for McDavid?

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You may have watched a lot of hockey but i don't even know how you can state this . So team A trades player X to team B for 2 B,s . Player A is the best player but the 2 B,s help team X win 2 cups . How the hell did they lose the trade ? We missed the playoffs for 10 Fxxxxxx years and changing our D will probably have us making the playoffs . Even if we don't go far just getting the players to believe in themselves and the system is worth it . I find it funny people value a player over the team . I like Hall and wish him well , but he needed to go . Larsson has a bigger impact on the team then Hall did .

It's true. The Devils won that trade. They got the better player. I'm comfortable saying that.

With that said, I still believe the Oilers are a better team because they made that trade. They're a better team with Larsson patrolling the blueline than they would be with Hall at LW this season.

I'm of the opinion that you can make a trade where you lose from a player evaluation standpoint but still make your team better. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: I'll go as far as to say I'm pleased with Larsson on the team and I believe Chia made the best decision based on the options that we know were available to him at time.

Last edited:

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
It's true. The Devils won that trade. They got the better player. I'm comfortable saying that.

With that said, I still believe the Oilers are a better team because they made that trade. They're a better team with Larsson patrolling the blueline than they would be with Hall at LW this season.

I'm of the opinion that you can make a trade where you lose from a player evaluation standpoint but still make your team better. I hope that makes sense.

Wouldnt you suggest Oilers were better off not being hasty with the trade?

Several GM's came out and said they would have offered more than Larrsson for Hall, but Oilers did not ask. Players like Trouba, Hamonic, Jones etc.

I understand Oilers are a better team because of Larrsson, but selling your players short based on the premise that it makes our team better now isn't good GM'ing.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Several GM's came out and said they would have offered more than Larrsson for Hall, but Oilers did not ask. Players like Trouba, Hamonic, Jones etc.

I understand Oilers are a better team because of Larrsson, but selling your players short based on the premise that it makes our team better now isn't good GM'ing.

My comment was not addressed to you. Your comment clearly shows you do not know what you are talking about with respect to the options available to Edmonton for upgrading the right-side of their blueline over the summer. HFOil discussed this topic to death after the trade occurred. There is plenty of material over there for you to read and educate yourself if you would like to know what really happened.

Additionally, I have no interest in de-railing this thread with another re-hash of the Larsson-Hall trade.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I'm sure they could have gotten more value wise but I think Chiarelli wanted the best defenseman he could get for Hall. We will never know who GM's made available but I'm sure Chiarelli contacted every single GM who had a defenseman he would consider trading for Hall before actually making a trade. I'm sure there are GM's out there who would of offered more value but couldn't offer the level of defenseman Chia wanted so they tried to augment value with other pieces.

On the guys you talked about. I doubt Columbus would trade Jones after just acquiring him and previously NAS wanted a C for Jones. Trouba, doubt Chia would touch him with a 10 ft pole, guy has the worst agent to deal with in hockey and has been a headache. Hamonic and Larsson are similar but Larsson is a few years younger and his contract runs an extra year at about an extra 300K capsize.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
People here are getting nutty.

A GM isn't going to gut the entire core of their team to acquire McDavid.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The difference between Marner and McDavid is not Matthews. Marner is in all probability an 80 + point franchise player. If you're on a pace for 70 points at 19… It’s more expectation then being optimistic, it’s what history has shown us. Matthews will be a 40 goal, two-way forward. I would no way in hell do Matthews + Marner (140 point pace this year) (Could be 160 in the future) Even if they don't keep up the pace, they are clearly both franchise guys. I wouldn't do Matthews + Rielly either.

I would consider Matthews and Nylander. Nylander is closer to a 65 point guy in the future imo. Maybe 70. Maybe he surprises and gets to PPG... But I'd probably give him up with Matthews for McDavid. But in all honesty Matthews + Marner is a steal for Edmonton... don't kid your self.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
ITT Oilers fans that think McDavid is Wayne Gretzky reincarnated

I love that Leaf fan's realize the impact of a player like Gretzky, how an Ontario boy delivered championships to the prairies. To have the arguably best player ever as part of Edmonton's leadership team, all the better.

Oh, and McDavid, he's no slouch as the youngest captain of his team. Remarkable player, and the heir apparent.

Remarkable luck, Edmonton has.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
L. O. L

Just on impact that McDavid brings to a Franchise on ice and off ice offsets that value several times over. The respect the franchise gets around the rest of the hockey world increases 10 fold. The perception of a franchise changes just from having a generational talent. In just over a year look at Edmonton. This is only the beginning.+

Edmonton drafted 4 first overalls.....no biggie

Edmonton gets McDavid ......... all eyes on the city at all times. People in Australia are messaging us about McDavid. Im pretty sure nobody outside of North America really could care less about Matthews or even who he is. Sorry bud. No offense or anything.

Yeah their probably asking what is this 'edmonton' place they've never heard about before and why he isn't a leaf already

victor

Sep 6, 2003
People here are getting nutty.

A GM isn't going to gut the entire core of their team to acquire McDavid.

It's a crazy ask.

Edmonton's not moving him for less than the world (and really, can you blame them?) The jersey sales alone are crazy.

He's a difference maker, and joined a team at the right time (as things like defense, goaltending, and support were just working out.)

Edmonton was crazy lucky to get him when they did.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
It's a crazy ask.

Edmonton's not moving him for less than the world (and really, can you blame them?) The jersey sales alone are crazy.

He's a difference maker, and joined a team at the right time (as things like defense, goaltending, and support were just working out.)

Edmonton was crazy lucky to get him when they did.

Matthews has more Jersey sales than McDavid.

But don't let the EDM fans hear that. He's a worldwide name, who brings name and fame to the city of Edmonton. People in Australia have all eyes on McJesus

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

But don't let the EDM fans hear that. He's a worldwide name, who brings name and fame to the city of Edmonton. People in Australia have all eyes on McJesus

So Matthews must be better than McDavid then... face of the league...
Would the Leafs trade this superstar for 3 lesser pieces?

Matthews for Domi+Duclair+Dvorak

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
I love that Leaf fan's realize the impact of a player like Gretzky, how an Ontario boy delivered championships to the prairies. To have the arguably best player ever as part of Edmonton's leadership team, all the better.

Oh, and McDavid, he's no slouch as the youngest captain of his team. Remarkable player, and the heir apparent.

Remarkable luck, Edmonton has.
I don't know if I would say Edmonton has remarkable luck.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
So Matthews must be better than McDavid then... face of the league...
Would the Leafs trade this superstar for 3 lesser pieces?

Matthews for Domi+Duclair+Dvorak

i'd trade Matthews for two other franchise players. None of the players listed are franchise players.

I'd do Matthews for OEL + Another Franchise player, no questions asked.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
i'd trade Matthews for two other franchise players. None of the players listed are franchise players.

I'd do Matthews for OEL + Another Franchise player, no questions asked.

Compared to McDavid the Leafs trio is nothing more than the 3 names i mentioned. Marner and Nylander are not franchise players.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Is Matthews having more jersey sales than McDavid a provable fact?

You know, like the fact that Carolina won a cup against Edmonton in 2006?

It's a fact, Edmonton lost, and the home of NASCAR has more cups that Toronto since the original six.

That's a provable fact.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Eichel + Risto + Nylander + 1st

A lot to give but that's what the most valuable player in the league would cost. Not saying it's smart for Buffalo to do it either, but McDavid is that good where he can take a mediocre team to a playoff spot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Compared to McDavid the Leafs trio is nothing more than the 3 names i mentioned. Marner and Nylander are not franchise players.

Marner very well might be.

Matthews + Marner is way too much to give up. Matthews + Nylander or Rielly is much more realistic.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is Matthews having more jersey sales than McDavid a provable fact?

You know, like the fact that Carolina won a cup against Edmonton in 2006?

It's a fact, Edmonton lost, and the home of NASCAR has more cups that Toronto since the original six.

That's a provable fact.

Well considering the population difference between GTA and Edmonton and the fact theyve had no one great for a while the jersey sale claim might be valid..

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Marner very well might be.

Matthews + Marner is way too much to give up. Matthews + Nylander or Rielly is much more realistic.

Realistic? Edmonton would be stupid to make this realistic deal.. give your head a shake if you think McDavid can be snatched for any 2 players TOR has.

Just enjoy what and who you have..keep drinking the cool aid media provides and we will hang onto McDavid.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Realistic? Edmonton would be stupid to make this realistic deal.. give your head a shake if you think McDavid can be snatched for any 2 players TOR has.

Just enjoy what and who you have..keep drinking the cool aid media provides and we will hang onto McDavid.

Buddy.

Marner is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Matthews is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Want to know who was before McDavid in terms of production as a teenage rookie? Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin

Teenage rookies putting up 70 points isn't a franchise player. LOL What kind of crack kool-aid are you drinking bud.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Well considering the population difference between GTA and Edmonton and the fact theyve had no one great for a while the jersey sale claim might be valid..

Matthews is the most selling jersey behind Crosby this year.

The stats were revealed a week before the all-star game, and analysts were attributing it to the fact that the Leafs have a new logo, Matthews is very good, Matthews is American, Matthews is a Leaf.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Buddy.

Marner is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Matthews is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Want to know who was before McDavid in terms of production as a teenage rookie? Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin

Teenage rookies putting up 70 points isn't a franchise player. LOL What kind of crack kool-aid are you drinking bud.

Oilers have gone through plenty high scoring rookies... adding lesser players just doesnt equal McDavid.

Hall+RNH+Puljujarvi+Eberle+Yakupov ...we have gone through them all... Guys like McDavid define your franchise and are worth a lot more than a Marner, Nolan Patrick or a Matthews...

Enjoy your players..hopefully they turn out well... Oilers will keep McDavid..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad