Value of: What would give up to trade for McDavid?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Matthews is the most selling jersey behind Crosby this year.

The stats were revealed a week before the all-star game, and analysts were attributing it to the fact that the Leafs have a new logo, Matthews is very good, Matthews is American, Matthews is a Leaf.

Good for him.. i didnt deny that claim.
I bet Phil Kessel and Phaneuf had more jersay sales than Chara and Bergeron when they were Leafs.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Oilers have gone through plenty high scoring rookies... adding lesser players just doesnt equal McDavid.

Hall+RNH+Puljujarvi+Eberle+Yakupov ...we have gone through them all... Guys like McDavid define your franchise and are worth a lot more than a Marner, Nolan Patrick or a Matthews...

Enjoy your players..hopefully they turn out well... Oilers will keep McDavid..

Not a single oiler rookie has put up 70 points (m & m on pace for 70+). I dont want McDavid, keep him.

Cheers, may we meet in the finals and put this McDavid vs Matthews debate to bed :handclap::yo:

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Oilers have gone through plenty high scoring rookies... adding lesser players just doesnt equal McDavid.

Hall+RNH+Puljujarvi+Eberle+Yakupov ...we have gone through them all... Guys like McDavid define your franchise and are worth a lot more than a Marner, Nolan Patrick or a Matthews...

Did you just put Nolan Patrick in the same tier as Matthews and Marner? :laugh:

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Gagner, O'Sullivan, Schremp, Omark, Nilsson, Pajaarvi, etc.

Great players, with great stats for a year or two. Some turn out, some do not.

That said, glad to have McDavid.

Awesome.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner, Rielly and a 1st is the most I would do. The intention is to have legit line drviers on different lines. We already have that with Matthews and Marner though. But McDavid would be more potent offensively.

Not really that interested in the allure of McDavid though as the leafs are already in the top of the league in scoring. But an elite goalie like Carey Price or a top D like Doughty would be the attractive pieces I'd be looking for.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

This.

Matthews and Marner are amazing young players but they aren't McDavid and wont create nearly as much of an impact as McDavid single-handedly has for Edmonton.

Oiler fans have seen 18 year old Hall play well, an 18 year old RNH who was a point producing beast as a rookie, 20 year old Eberle who scored highlight reel goals, and even a 18 year old Yakupov score electrifying goals but all 4 of them together did not and never will match the impact of McDavid alone.

McDavid = 100% untouchable

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Probably nothing, because 1) EDM would likely reject any offer to begin with, 2) what we would have to give up to make them think otherwise would likely decimate the team to the point where adding McDavid doesn't make up the difference, and 3) salary cap.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Probably nothing, because 1) EDM would likely reject any offer to begin with, 2) what we would have to give up to make them think otherwise would likely decimate the team to the point where adding McDavid doesn't make up the difference, and 3) salary cap.

McDavid has made Maroon into a prospective 20+ goal scorer.

Any player he plays with is better. Some, like Draisaitl, become top 20 in the NHL.

If you're Katz, what deal would make sense for the 20 year old McDavid?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Realistic? Edmonton would be stupid to make this realistic deal.. give your head a shake if you think McDavid can be snatched for any 2 players TOR has.

Just enjoy what and who you have..keep drinking the cool aid media provides and we will hang onto McDavid.

Cool aid? I dont even slightly like the Leafs :laugh:

McDavid will be the best player in the league for a long time, but he is not worth what will likely be two other top 5 forwards in the game who are the same age.

Thats like Pittsburgh declining Crosby for Malkin and Kane if they were all the same age.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

McDavid will be the best player in the league for a long time, but he is not worth what will likely be two other top 5 forwards in the game who are the same age.

Thats like Pittsburgh declining Crosby for Malkin and Kane if they were all the same age.

I think that the better question is what Edmonton needs to succeed with McDavid, rather than the players they could get in a trade.

Edmonton has Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Pouliot, Cagguilla, Letestu, Kassian, Pitlick, Kharia, Lander, Hendricks, Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Russell, Nurse, Davidson, Talbot. as a supporting cast.

With that current supporting cast, why would Edmonton move him?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Buddy.

Marner is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Matthews is having the most productive teenage rookie season since McDavid.

Want to know who was before McDavid in terms of production as a teenage rookie? Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin

Teenage rookies putting up 70 points isn't a franchise player. LOL What kind of crack kool-aid are you drinking bud.

Ask yourself this. Minus Mcdavid, would you trade Matthews for any 2 players on the Oilers?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Serious:
Mcdavid + Lucic for Eichel, Ristolainen and ROR

Not Serious:
Mcdavid to Calgary
Calgary agrees to make Eakins the flames head coach permanently forever + Monahan and Tkachuk

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

"Top 5 forwards in the game" = kool aid

Keep drinking..

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto

Keep drinking..

I know it's hard for you to accept that this might possibly be true.

At least I know that one Red Wings fan has been watching them play and is unbiased enough to give a frank opinion. I applaud them for it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This thread would be better off if you just look at all the teams and say that's what you want for McDavid, rather than asking what would you give.
I will give as little as you will take. That's human nature. What you want on the other hand is something else.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Stamkos + Hedman + Bishop (or Vasi), throw in a pick if it's not enough.

Still not sure Edmonton would take that but the Lightning could survive with Vasi and the cap space to pick up a dman in FA but we would still be hurting at the loss of Hedman.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We wouldn't. We're focused on having the blueline as the alpha and omega of our team's work on the ice, and would have to tear that apart to get McDavid.

Right now we're competitive with that blueline. Having McDavid, while wonderful and amazing and glorious, would not necessarily make us more competitive because of what we'd lose to get him. (Of course, if you just dropped him on our roster for free, then it's Dynasty Time, y'all... but last I checked the Oilers aren't giving away any assets for free, let alone soon-to-be-legendary centers.)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Keep drinking..

Both Marner and Matthews both have potential to be top 5 forwards in the game, there's no doubt about that. Matthews is even likely to reach that.

That pains me to say as someone who will have to watch them tear apart the Wings for te forseeable future.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Karlsson, Stone, White, 1st

Karlsson + Stone + White + 1st + 1st

I was about to propose something with Karlsson but these packages are too much...

Karlsson + Turris + Brown + 1st would be my proposal

If the Sens acquire McDavid, a Center would have to go the other way...

Yes the Oilers lose McDavid but their defense is now super stacked and they still have Draisatl-Turris-RNH down the middle... And Brown + 1st

Of course they wouldn't do it because McDavid is the new face of the NHL (marketing reasons +++) but we are speaking hypothetically.

What happens for the Sens :

Hoffman-McDavid-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-White
Pyatt-Kelly-Wingels
Lazar

Methot-Ceci
Chabot-Phaneuf
Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki

Gotta love the forward group but that leaves them with a big hole on RHD. I don't think they'd have the defense to win it all, unless Chabot is real good (+ Jaros/Englund).

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Keep drinking..

The only kool aid drinker here is you if you don't think a 19 year old rookie who is on pace for almost 40 goals in his rookie season and a 19 year old rookie on pace for 50+ assists and 70+ points in his rookie season aren't potential top 5 forwards in the game. Go get some rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad