Value of: What would Carey Price realistically cost?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can't imagine MTL would trade him. I don't even have a proposal as I doubt any of us could accurately predict such a thing. I don't even think there are 2 GMs capable of such a deal.

CelticPride

Jan 12, 2015
His value is high, but I wonder what he would get back if he demanded the trade. I can't see Montreal trading him outright any time soon.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If there was a #1C that Price could be traded for, his ass would've shipped out a long time ago. Fact is, no one would ever dream of making such a bonehead decision.

Having the best goalie in the league is nice, but it doesn't translate to cup wins. You can win with Toews + Crawford, or Crosby + Fleury. You can't win with Price + crap, or Lundqvist + crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
:shakehead
If there was a #1C that Price could be traded for, his ass would've shipped out a long time ago. Fact is, no one would ever dream of making such a bonehead decision.

Having the best goalie in the league is nice, but it doesn't translate to cup wins. You can win with Toews + Crawford, or Crosby + Fleury. You can't win with Price + crap, or Lundqvist + crap.

:shakehead

But u can win with Tavares + crap?? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Or Roy and Muller or Roy and Smith....;)

You have a better shot at winning the cup with Price and crap than Tavares + crap.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Or Roy and Muller or Roy and Smith....;)

You have a better shot at winning the cup with Price and crap than Tavares + crap.

Goalies that win Cups play better in the playoffs. Price's career SV% drops in the playoffs, and the only year when his SV% went up was 5 years ago.

Halak, on the other hand, has a better playoff SV%, not to mention a much better 1C in front of him.

Of course, in terms of winning the Cup, this is like debating whether an ice cube or a snowball has a better chance of surviving several hours in a pizza oven.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
There is no discussion or debate to be had. Price can not be traded. Anyone too stupid to understand his importance to the Habs should not be allowed on a hockey forum ever again. Remove Price from our team, and we become the Oilers. With Price, we make the playoffs and can compete for a Cup. It is that simple. Adding a great centre like Tavares (for example) at the cost of Price does not move us closer to a Cup.

The Habs should not trade Price. There is no player we should trade him for. Period.

The funny thing is how stupid it seems people are in describing what wins Cups. Crosby is the best player in the world, and he needed Letang on defence, Malkin as the 2nd centre, and Fleaury (at the top of his game) in goal. Crosby + Fleury did not win the Cup. Look at Chicago. Only an idiot boils it down to Toews and Crawford won the Cup. These little guys called Seabrook, Keith, Kane and Hossa were significant parts of those Cups. LA won due to Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, etc... A great centre does not win anything on his own. A great goalie can not win on his own, either. People arguing either one wins it alone should stop talking about hockey.

Having said that, it is more likely that the best goalie join the game can carry a team to a Cup than the best centre in the world. The Habs have not had a true superstar centre in over a decade, but keep making the playoffs and going deep at times. Teams like the Oilers, with tons of offence and no goaltending or defence have gone nowhere. Give me the best goalie in the world over the best centre, right now.

We keep Price. Stupidity says otherwise.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Goalies are the worst thing to overpay for. For all his accolades price gets injured/sick and isn't a playoff choker but hardly some playoff god. Congrats, you just traded half your team for a goalie that allows 1 goal less every 3-4 games than MAF who could probably be had for free once Murray is back.

Much rather have a Marc Crawford/Ben Bishop/Matt Murray/Martin Jones and the 5 all star young players Price would cost rather than just Price

Only goalie I'd pay out the ass for is Varlamov and only because he's the most fun goalie to watch since Hasek and I watch hockey to be entertained.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
too busy to read each post this time, but my immediate thought is:

who wants/needs and will pay?
and by extension
of those, who is top bidder?

I see Dallas as prob most serious here

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wouldn't be as much as others think. Problem is in a cap world, you will never get proper value. You need to send roughly a 5 million dollar player back, a good prospect and probably a 1st.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
everything. All of the things. The team that trades for him has 0 players or assets left, and they still get 82 points by losing 1-0 in a shootout every game, hell if they let Price shoot because he's the only player on the team he'll win most shootouts and make the playoffs.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I wouldnt offer anything for him because he is 29 now and I would only offer up 29 year olds or there abouts in return.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
realistically, he would bring back nothing because he wont be traded.

If he got a wild hair and demanded a trade, then his return would be damaged significantly. So he wouldn't bring as much as hou might think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad