What will old Crosby look like?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens core are signed for another 4 years. Sid may play a couple after that but only if they are cup contenders. Although I have made the case that both him and Geno are elite athletic players that will play at a elite level for another number of years. DNA unlike most stars is just to special to see them falling hard. Players lose it from here. They are not close to losing anything even with so many games played. Find me early 30's stars who play at is level.

Reactions: Gazorpazorp

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I think how long he plays depends on his love life. Jagr played forever because of his bachelor lifestyle. Unless you're wanting to start a family/be with your family even if you have nothing left to prove Hockey is all you know

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
ABCbfNo.jpg

please give us more!!!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think he retires a lot earlier than everyone thinks
1. Because injury history and I don’t think he wants to risk it
2. Nothing left to prove
I think he’s done before 40
Knowing Sidney Crosby's nature, he is not going to pack it in early because of either of these reasons.

The only way injuries would keep him out is if he actually gets injured and literally physically cannot play. I don't think the fear of a potential injury is going to stop him. I mean, you can't even get this guy to take a day off. Coaches have joked that you have to hide his skates to get him to take a day off. He just doesn't quit.

As for having nothing left to prove, well he has his own standard that he wants to work toward. He doesn't work for recognition from other people, he works hard for himself.

I don't see either one of these things stopping Crosby.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Think Joe Thornton. Think prime Thornton to old Thornton and extrapolate to Sid. Obvious decline in speed and maybe a bit in skill but effectiveness still there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think he plays so similarly to Forsberg.

Aside from nagging injury issues which might become chronic, he's going to be very productive as long as he remains healthy.

Could even be like Sakic.. 100 points in his mid-30s.

I think hes going to retire late 30s with a lot still on the table.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Since he doesn't rely on speed, he'll last a long time. Similar to Joe Thornton but even better.
He doesn't rely on speed, but he sure does rely on skating. His edge work, ability to change direction, and agility make him as tough to guard as he is. With that being said, even if all of that goes, he has an ability to be a terror in front of the net, as he has that innate ability to anticipate where the puck is going and has unreal hand-eye coordination. Reminds me of Ryan Smyth in a sense there.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
He can remain effective until his early 40s if he wants to. Too intelligent and skilled of a player to just fade away.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm also in the retire earlier than later (I'm thinking 37-38) crowd. I do think he will age just fine. He won't be in the Art Ross conversation but he will be over PPG late into his career I think.

I'm more curious how many Cups he's going to finish with.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I don't know why people say Crosby's game translates well to older age. It doesn't.

A skilled grinder will have a broken down body by his late 30s. Unless he tones it down, I can't see it.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Everyone except for Matt Cullen loses the wheels by 35, so he might lose separation speed, but his edge work will maintain his agility and prevent him from falling off a cliff once he can't win on athleticism. The one thing hockey players never lose is the hands, guys in their 50s can still stickhandle like their prime, and Crosby has some of the fastest and most expert hands. I can picture veteran Sidney Crosby still winning goalmouth scrambles and deflections. If he continues hitting pucks in out of midair, he's going to force goalie coaches to figure out a working solution to it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't know why people say Crosby's game translates well to older age. It doesn't.

A skilled grinder will have a broken down body by his late 30s. Unless he tones it down, I can't see it.

He has toned it down years ago, do you even watch him play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad