Speculation: What top 4D could Anders Lee return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Isles fan chiming in once again... no, Anders Lee wouldn't fetch OEL either. Let's move on from that.

Honestly, if guys like OEL, Karlsson, Doughty are shopped this offseason, a Lee+ package isn't the worst offer they'll get for their players. All depends on the market and other team's abilities to dangle a player of Lee's caliber as a centerpiece.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Honestly, if guys like OEL, Karlsson, Doughty are shopped this offseason, a Lee+ package isn't the worst offer they'll get for their players. All depends on the market and other team's abilities to dangle a player of Lee's caliber as a centerpiece.

Lee is a UFA in a year. My guess is if any of those 3 teams trade those player they are looking for younger players and guys with more term

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lee is a UFA in a year. My guess is if any of those 3 teams trade those player they are looking for younger players and guys with more term

Or players who play a similar or important position. If you're trading Doughty, Karlsson, or OEL, you likely want a prospect or young defenseman coming back as a replacement. Or if not that, you'll want a touted center prospect coming back.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
As BM says, I don't think OEL would be traded for a future UFA. More likely, the framework involves two prospects or young NHLers and a pick.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As BM says, I don't think OEL would be traded for a future UFA. More likely, the framework involves two prospects or young NHLers and a pick.

It would require 2 trades for it to work. Trade Lee for futures to get the most value for him. Then flip those assets along with what's already in the arsenal to get that d-man. Is the gamble on wooing a pending UFA worth it? If JT walks then absolutely not. If he stays then it's a different ball game.

Reactions: Instant

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It would require 2 trades for it to work. Trade Lee for futures to get the most value for him. Then flip those assets along with what's already in the arsenal to get that d-man. Is the gamble on wooing a pending UFA worth it? If JT walks then absolutely not. If he stays then it's a different ball game.
If they are able to keep Tavares , but budget means they have to decide between 2019 ufas Lee and Eberle , which do you keep?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If they are able to keep Tavares , but budget means they have to decide between 2019 ufas Lee and Eberle , which do you keep?

I'd probably be more inclined to keep Lee, I think he has a rarer skillset and he's a homegrown. Might be miscast on the top line, but this guy is money on the PP. If the Isles give him a good center to play with on the 3rd line, he will still produce at ES. I've been very pleased with Eberle, but I'm not married to him. He's helped Barzal and I'm grateful for that, but I'd get what I can for him. If the other team trading us a d-man wants one over the other, I'm fine with it though.

The draft lottery could change things if the Isles get lucky. Dahlin changes everything, neither would be safe if it meant getting him a veteran d-man who can mentor him next year. If we get #2 overall and Svechnikov, then I might prefer trading Lee over Eberle. We're the Isles so neither is happening.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The draft lottery could change things if the Isles get lucky. Dahlin changes everything, neither would be safe if it meant getting him a veteran d-man who can mentor him next year. If we get #2 overall and Svechnikov, then I might prefer trading Lee over Eberle. We're the Isles so neither is happening.

I value right wingers more then left wingers but if we draft Svechnikov(RW) that would be more reason to keep Lee over Eberle(RW)

As of now I am 50-50 assuming it's the same contract for both(my guess though is Eberle will get more as a UFA which would lean me more towards Lee)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
we need to draft defense if svechnikov is drafted by us its insane

logic says keeping lee over aberle because hes more likely to sign for less than 6 million and he's been here so is more likely to stay

I actually trade eberle whether JT stays or goes because there is a market for him now and he'll be too expensive going forward

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
we need to draft defense if svechnikov is drafted by us its insane

logic says keeping lee over aberle because hes more likely to sign for less than 6 million and he's been here so is more likely to stay

I actually trade eberle whether JT stays or goes because there is a market for him now and he'll be too expensive going forward

I disagree. Svechnikov is a high level talent that is likely NHL ready. He can replace the NHL spot vacated by Lee/Eberle, is cost controlled long term, and is expansion protected. I trade Lee or Eberle or both and try to acquire a top-4 d-man. We can draft a d-man with our other 1st round pick and still get a good one. We could also trade both 2nds to move back into the 1st for another or just sit tight at 41+43 and draft 2 more.

Svechnikov is more than just a goal scorer, he's pretty complete and NHL ready by most accounts. Excellent skater, size, complete pro style game. You pair him with Tavares, move Bailey over to LW. You see a lot of Hossa comparisons with this kid.

Kieffer Bellows is also in the discussion, has a pretty pro-style game and could flourish if paired with the other Killer B's on the 2nd line. Dal Colle is a bust and Ho-Sang is still in the mix. Nelson is another candidate to be shipped off.

Allocate the cap money saved to the defense and to upgrade the goaltending. It's quite risky to try and replace basically 120 points and around 60-65 goals between Lee and Eberle with rookies, but Svechnikov and Bellows would be on ELC's and riding shotgun to Tavares and Barzal. I think that's better asset management and what I would do if we were gifted the #2 overall pick. While winger is not the primary need, getting him gives us options to re-configure the roster on the fly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd probably be more inclined to keep Lee, I think he has a rarer skillset and he's a homegrown. Might be miscast on the top line, but this guy is money on the PP. If the Isles give him a good center to play with on the 3rd line, he will still produce at ES. I've been very pleased with Eberle, but I'm not married to him. He's helped Barzal and I'm grateful for that, but I'd get what I can for him. If the other team trading us a d-man wants one over the other, I'm fine with it though.

I should report this to the mods. Someone has clearly hacked into PWJunior's account and is posting under his username.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I disagree. Svechnikov is a high level talent that is likely NHL ready. He can replace the NHL spot vacated by Lee/Eberle, is cost controlled long term, and is expansion protected. I trade Lee or Eberle or both and try to acquire a top-4 d-man. We can draft a d-man with our other 1st round pick and still get a good one. We could also trade both 2nds to move back into the 1st for another or just sit tight at 41+43 and draft 2 more.

Svechnikov is more than just a goal scorer, he's pretty complete and NHL ready by most accounts. Excellent skater, size, complete pro style game. You pair him with Tavares, move Bailey over to LW. You see a lot of Hossa comparisons with this kid.

Kieffer Bellows is also in the discussion, has a pretty pro-style game and could flourish if paired with the other Killer B's on the 2nd line. Dal Colle is a bust and Ho-Sang is still in the mix. Nelson is another candidate to be shipped off.

Allocate the cap money saved to the defense and to upgrade the goaltending. It's quite risky to try and replace basically 120 points and around 60-65 goals between Lee and Eberle with rookies, but Svechnikov and Bellows would be on ELC's and riding shotgun to Tavares and Barzal. I think that's better asset management and what I would do if we were gifted the #2 overall pick. While winger is not the primary need, getting him gives us options to re-configure the roster on the fly.

If we win the lottery, we take Dahlin no questions.

If we win 2nd, we take Svech and worry about where to fit him later.

It's if we win 3rd that I'm undecided about. Zadina seems to be the consensus third best player in the draft, but that is a mighty mighty tempting spot to take Boqvist. I'd lean towards Boqvist over Zadina just because of how much we need defense.

Another option is to trade down from #2 to somewhere in the top 5-7 if a team like Ottawa or whoever that badly wants an offensive talent like Svech and is willing to make it worth our while.

Reactions: PWJunior

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
have you ever read a single article about duncan keiths reputation, he is absolutely more of a fitness beast than Chara is and thats why I used him as an example because Keith has a rigorous offseason routine.

this was also evident by Keith playing over 31 min a night en route to the cup in 2015

he also has one of the highest VO2 max scores ever recorded in hockey and his score was compared to Lance Armstrongs so saying Chara is an exception to the rule because he is a fitness animal but keith cant hold up despite being a more renowned fitness addict is foolish to say the least

How 'freakish' Keith became an NHL workhorse - Sportsnet.ca
Anders just sits on the couch during the off season, snacking on hot dogs and flavored Oreos. He is every bit as driven as JT, Chara, and Keith.
His second year numbers are on Capuano and the coaching staff, improper usage of his gifts.
I would prefer we keep him, he is going to be a better version of himself next year.
We have already had Brad Boyes on our roster, and Anders Lee is no Brad Boyes.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

pw the problem with this team is not scoring

we need quality defense, we have offense but no high quality defenders,Wheres our OEL (drafted 6th) Trouba (Drafted 7th) Werenski (drafted 8th) provorov (drafted 7th) those kinds of young studs generally dont get traded and are worth their weight in gold.

we have an opportunity this draft to draft 2 cornerstone defenders, lets not reinvent the wheel here, sooner or later we must invest in the infrastructure of a team, and you dont do that without defenders with talent and physical gifts

edmonton went 10 years drafting every gifted offensive player they could find and went no where. then they get Sekera Larson and Klefbom and they have a great season, then Klefbom and Sekera are hurt and they collapse. for the love of god , I hope we use all 4 top picks on the best defenders we can find, because offense doesnt win championships. defense does

most of our defenders are either offense first (Leddy, Pulock,) or small. Devon Toews is another quick but relatively undersized defender. we are a bad team because we cant impose our will phyically.

I love ya buddy but youre so wrong if we get number 2 I dont even think of Svechnikov, not even a millisecond, I do what Codee suggests, we need defenders who can stand up and be reckonned with.

Boychuck isnt a spring chicken either

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
pw the problem with this team is not scoring

we need quality defense, we have offense but no high quality defenders,Wheres our OEL (drafted 6th) Trouba (Drafted 7th) Werenski (drafted 8th) provorov (drafted 7th) those kinds of young studs generally dont get traded and are worth their weight in gold.

we have an opportunity this draft to draft 2 cornerstone defenders, lets not reinvent the wheel here, sooner or later we must invest in the infrastructure of a team, and you dont do that without defenders with talent and physical gifts

edmonton went 10 years drafting every gifted offensive player they could find and went no where. then they get Sekera Larson and Klefbom and they have a great season, then Klefbom and Sekera are hurt and they collapse. for the love of god , I hope we use all 4 top picks on the best defenders we can find, because offense doesnt win championships. defense does

most of our defenders are either offense first (Leddy, Pulock,) or small. Devon Toews is another quick but relatively undersized defender. we are a bad team because we cant impose our will phyically.

I love ya buddy but youre so wrong if we get number 2 I dont even think of Svechnikov, not even a millisecond, I do what Codee suggests, we need defenders who can stand up and be reckonned with.

Boychuck isnt a spring chicken either

I think teams run into trouble when they draft based on need rather than BPA. It's a big risk taking a lesser prospect just because he plays a position you currently need.

Exaggerated example, but let's say both McDavid and Subban are available. Do you really pass on McDavid to draft Subban just because you need D more than a C?

I think the only time you lean toward "need" is if you have two equal players, but one happens to be a forward and the other defenseman. Then you go with need. But if the forward is considered superior to the defenseman, IMO, it's a mistake to draft for need in that case.

Reactions: Svengoolie

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think teams run into trouble when they draft based on need rather than BPA. It's a big risk taking a lesser prospect just because he plays a position you currently need.

Exaggerated example, but let's say both McDavid and Subban are available. Do you really pass on McDavid to draft Subban just because you need D more than a C?

I think the only time you lean toward "need" is if you have two equal players, but one happens to be a forward and the other defenseman. Then you go with need. But if the forward is considered superior to the defenseman, IMO, it's a mistake to draft for need
in that case.

except the Islanders have consistently gone offensive to the point of possibly losing Tavares, there is no need to draft an inferior player,just trade down

and edomonton followed your advice with Yakupov how did that serve them? just because svechnikov is considered better now, doesnt mean he will be a better pro either

Kucherov was picked 57 picks after RNH how did that work out?Sheiffele was 6 picks after RNH

good scouting is good scouting and how you project players is way more important than iniial rankings Griffin Reinhart was a total bust and he was ranked much higher than Jacob Trouba and Jon Gillies was rated higher than Matt Murray.

so in the end good scouting and proper development always beats initial rankings, the last time someone tried to convince me of that flawed bit of thinking Sid was 2008 when a so called expert said Snow was an idiot for trading down Twice and taking Josh Bailey over Nikita Filitov and then Luke Schenn

Svechnikov is hyped nearly as much as filatov was

"Nikita Filatov came to the NHL with much fanfare.
Before the 2008 draft, Filatov was considered the top ranked European skater by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. He was eventually selected sixth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2008 NHL Draft.
Filatov comes with great upside and is still only 21 years old. Independent scouting service Red Line report declared that Filatov was 'the next best thing to Steven Stamkos" prior to the 2008 draft.
Many consider him to be a mix of Ilya Kovalchuk and Maxim Afinogenov, where his strengths include skating and vision.
Filatov fell out of favor with the Blue Jackets and was subsequently traded to the Senators for a third-round pick prior to the 2011 NHL Draft. For that price, it was a steal for the rebuilding Senators."

Making blanket statement like that sid is always a bad Idea..Id rather a team draft on what they see of a player than any ranking whether its need or not

blind adherence to rankings is worse than drafting with scouting and development in mind. because its not really just drafting for need. its being aware that by having that need, youve both scouted in depth AND you know an opportunity exists for the player to actually develop

in my mind opportunity is the single most important factor this is a deep defensive draft so why pass on what you need anyway for something you dont, its not drafting for need thats the issue, its reaching for something you need, this is just a case of getting what you need from an ample supply

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think the only time you lean toward "need" is if you have two equal players, but one happens to be a forward and the other defenseman. Then you go with need. But if the forward is considered superior to the defenseman, IMO, it's a mistake to draft for need in that case.

Personally if I was a GM I would draft high risk, high reward players. In all honesty what is the use of bottom 6 guys, you can find them easily on the UFA market

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
it was a freaking typo meant to hit the 2. These things happen when you respond on a phone.

Oh? Is that why you said the same thing 2X a few days ago?

My point was that when Boyes came to blues he was lifted by the phenomenal play of paul kariya then when kariya got injured or he went to abother team his numbers came back to earth. I am stating this is a similar situation on top of that he is 27 and soothing 30% or higher. we will see how well he plays with out jt.

Your more than welcome to hold an obtuse opinion on lee. Most people do over inflate thier own teams players. But stats don't lie. He will not keep a 30% shooting and his numbers will drop after jt leaves. You can deny it all you wsnt. Easton already laid the numbers out there and you all still refuse to look at it. That's fine. But you lost this arguement a long time ago.

So are you going to continue spouting the "LULZ Boyes" strawman argument between childish rubs and fake statistics? How about answering my question for the 3rd time in this thread?

If Lee has a SH% that isn't sustainable, has he just been "lucky" the past 163 games?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
except the Islanders have consistently gone offensive to the point of possibly losing Tavares, there is no need to draft an inferior player,just trade down

and edomonton followed your advice with Yakupov how did that serve them? just because svechnikov is considered better now, doesnt mean he will be a better pro either

Kucherov was picked 57 picks after RNH how did that work out?Sheiffele was 6 picks after RNH

good scouting is good scouting and how you project players is way more important than iniial rankings Griffin Reinhart was a total bust and he was ranked much higher than Jacob Trouba and Jon Gillies was rated higher than Matt Murray.

so in the end good scouting and proper development always beats initial rankings, the last time someone tried to convince me of that flawed bit of thinking Sid was 2008 when a so called expert said Snow was an idiot for trading down Twice and taking Josh Bailey over Nikita Filitov and then Luke Schenn

Svechnikov is hyped nearly as much as filatov was

"Nikita Filatov came to the NHL with much fanfare.
Before the 2008 draft, Filatov was considered the top ranked European skater by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. He was eventually selected sixth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2008 NHL Draft.
Filatov comes with great upside and is still only 21 years old. Independent scouting service Red Line report declared that Filatov was 'the next best thing to Steven Stamkos" prior to the 2008 draft.
Many consider him to be a mix of Ilya Kovalchuk and Maxim Afinogenov, where his strengths include skating and vision.
Filatov fell out of favor with the Blue Jackets and was subsequently traded to the Senators for a third-round pick prior to the 2011 NHL Draft. For that price, it was a steal for the rebuilding Senators."

Making blanket statement like that sid is always a bad Idea..Id rather a team draft on what they see of a player than any ranking whether its need or not

blind adherence to rankings is worse than drafting with scouting and development in mind. because its not really just drafting for need. its being aware that by having that need, youve both scouted in depth AND you know an opportunity exists for the player to actually develop

in my mind opportunity is the single most important factor this is a deep defensive draft so why pass on what you need anyway for something you dont, its not drafting for need thats the issue, its reaching for something you need, this is just a case of getting what you need from an ample supply

But you're bringing up examples of guys who busted as proof you should take someone else other than that forward. You're also bringing up later picks (2nd round and beyond) who turned out to be surprise stars. I don't think that's comparable to taking a defenseman for need even though he's not rated as highly as a forward.

Isles already had Tavares, offense isn't an issue, and they drafted a forward multiple years high in the draft. Should they have passed on Barzal to pick a defenseman because defense was a bigger need than a 1C?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Oh? Is that why you said the same thing 2X a few days ago?

If Lee has a SH% that isn't sustainable, has he just been "lucky" the past 163 games?

Well, I guess this guy isn't coming back for awhile now. LOL

I just want to point out that I've asked the same question three separate times to three separate posters and none of them have answered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad