Speculation: What top 4D could Anders Lee return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
But you're bringing up examples of guys who busted as proof you should take someone else other than that forward. You're also bringing up later picks (2nd round and beyond) who turned out to be surprise stars. I don't think that's comparable to taking a defenseman for need even though he's not rated as highly as a forward.

Isles already had Tavares, offense isn't an issue, and they drafted a forward multiple years high in the draft. Should they have passed on Barzal to pick a defenseman because defense was a bigger need than a 1C?
no because at the time they had a need at 2 c
the idea is we dont ACTUALLY HAVE A DEFENSE and its time to actually get one.

the cost to trade for defense has skyrocketed, Martinez for Lee and a pick, screw that, thats insane, We;re better off doing what Philly, Winnepeg, Carolina,Arizona and Columbus did drafting the best young defensemen our scouts can find and building around them. its really the only way to get a young stud,

why would we trade a stud likeLee for a 28 year old defenseman who is about to be paid a hefty contract for 2 to 3 years only to see him decline as he ages, lets keep our stud LW and draft 2 young Werenski's or provorovs of our own who can be with us for 7 to years and be our framework for the future

pitsburg was lucky you got 2 very young generational talents at center the most vital position, 2 drafts in a row so you could get by with a patchwork defense but other teams arent so lucky there is no franchise changing center this draft, so i say lets build our defense while we can in a draft where the experts say theres studs to be found

i get it offense is sexier its what gets you noticed but strong defense gets you wins

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Pacioretty
Petry - NMC turns into a NTC next season list 15 teams not to go to.
2nd round pick(WSH)

For

Lee
Beauvillier
Rights to Tavares - if he lets Islanders know he is going to market.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Pacioretty
Petry - NMC turns into a NTC next season list 15 teams not to go to.
2nd round pick(WSH)

For

Lee
Beauvillier
Rights to Tavares - if he lets Islanders know he is going to market.
Gross.

Not interested in trading 20 yr old Beau or Tavares rights.
Also, not interested in acquiring MaxPac. Bellows is coming off a strong junior season and turns pro in Oct.
If Lee is moved, Bellows will get a chance to grab an open roster spot

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No, no it wouldn't.
brodin doesnt touch lee sorry

decent defenders who dont contribute any offense dont get 40 goal scorers

but he is an example of what we can get by drafting defensemen with our picks

solid dependable unspectacular defenders, are valuable you just dont give up 40 goal scorers for them, you draft them and let them develop

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He's an avs fan he's just pissed because we said no on Barzal and Sorokin and don't want Varlamov

sell your garbage elsewhere. Sakic has had a ***** for Sorokin for over a year and talk is the league has informed the Avs informally that any further contact will lead to tampering charges. He's a fishing buddy of Varlamov and have both camped on the Colorado river and according to NHL sources there was some form of recruitment going on so the NHL basically said cut it out. It was on Twitter last year and Corey Pronman mentioned it while speaking about the lack of a transfer Agreement. But for awhile there avs fans thought they could poach him.

Pronman eventually reported that the NHL decided that any player drafted by an NHL Team in the NHL remains on the Drafting teams exclusive list until they sign a standard player contract they aren't even eligible for free agency until they sign a standard players contract

What on earth are you on about? How is fishing on a gorgeous river with one of your best friends a recruitment? Where should've they gone fishing? To the East River?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

solid dependable unspectacular defenders, are valuable you just dont give up 40 goal scorers for them, you draft them and let them develop

Why aren't you posting the "decade by decade" stats of guys who shoot "5' from the net"? Easton presented a very good argument you dismissed. You cited your career history but have yet to actually post these statistics you're using. Easton challenged you to cite your source???

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Why aren't you posting the "decade by decade" stats of guys who shoot "5' from the net"? Easton presented a very good argument you dismissed. You cited your career history becausebut have yet to actually post these statistics you're using. Easton challenged you to cite your source???

because i have no respect for him. he lost it all when he did that, his entire methodology is flawed, why should I validate a flawed methodology that anyone with any experience with Statistical norms and models would call as faulty

the game changes over time so using data like he did that takes into account ALL PLAYERS, and not player types or specific attributes of said players, is on its face faulty

as I said in the beginning, net front performers have had and will continue to have higher shot percentages that the typical player who operates from the outside, I used one example simply because in Tim Kerr is the closest player stylistically to Anders Lee.

but if you look at the others who parked in front of the net in NHL history, The Rob Browns, the Charlie Simmers, Craig Simpson Paul Mclean Blaine Staughton and Tim Kerrs, all who did their dirty work inside, close to the net, all of them had abnormally high Shooting percentages compared to their peers.

Why? because their style of play was different from most others, in tight and close, for the same reason in the NBA, centers, who hug the basket have higher shooting percentages than other players, Easton knew all that, and despite that he presented a deliberately misleading argument that was meant to obscure the truth , not only obscure the truth but to bury it.

why validate a flawed argument

Easton knew what he was doing now he must live with the consequences

I gave one example, but there are many more all you have to do is look for others with the same style of play, but he chose not to, because he didnt want to see the truth he wanted to bury the truth, by using all players and not like kind players

you dont compare offensive defensemen to defensive defensemen do you? you understand they play different roles do you not? Then why wont you accept there are different types of forwards?

easton knew what he did

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't think the Tyler Myers proposal was all that bad. I agree though, Jets probably shouldn't mess with what they have right now and there is nobody else on the Isles that can do what Lee can do. Doesn't seem wise to move him at all.

Easton brings up a good point about shooting percentage, but I've heard these before. I've heard the Rangers can't continue their amazing shooting % for a whole season but then they do. Stats are nice, but they are far from concrete and all players are different. So Easton did a really good job expressing himself and backing his viewpoint, but he'll agree it's by no means a clear cut conclusion. Goal scorers like Lee are going to get paid like Lucic and we see how that turned out. Could go the same way, or Lee could continue to dominate. For every Lucic we have a Bertuzzi. It's fine for teams to turn down trades or not offer to much because they are worried about a player declining. That's why there are so many teams in the league and some GM will be willing to take a risk because he probably has very little options otherwise.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
because i have no respect for him. he lost it all when he did that, his entire methodology is flawed, why should I validate a flawed methodology that anyone with any experience with Statistical norms and models would call as faulty

the game changes over time so using data like he did that takes into account ALL PLAYERS, and not player types or specific attributes of said players, is on its face faulty

as I said in the beginning, net front performers have had and will continue to have higher shot percentages that the typical player who operates from the outside, I used one example simply because in Tim Kerr is the closest player stylistically to Anders Lee.

but if you look at the others who parked in front of the net in NHL history, The Rob Browns, the Charlie Simmers, Craig Simpson Paul Mclean Blaine Staughton and Tim Kerrs, all who did their dirty work inside, close to the net, all of them had abnormally high Shooting percentages compared to their peers.

Why? because their style of play was different from most others, in tight and close, for the same reason in the NBA, centers, who hug the basket have higher shooting percentages than other players, Easton knew all that, and despite that he presented a deliberately misleading argument that was meant to obscure the truth , not only obscure the truth but to bury it.

why validate a flawed argument

Easton knew what he was doing now he must live with the consequences

I gave one example, but there are many more all you have to do is look for others with the same style of play, but he chose not to, because he didnt want to see the truth he wanted to bury the truth, by using all players and not like kind players

you dont compare offensive defensemen to defensive defensemen do you? you understand they play different roles do you not? Then why wont you accept there are different types of forwards?

easton knew what he did

First of all, you did give a few examples, but that doesn't mean you get to just say there are others when you've been asked to provide the data you claim he's obscuring. Please provide the rest of the examples you speak of. Please provide these abnormally high percentages for the players you listed if they are the norm you speak of.

Second, you really seem hung up on the comparison of everybody from 67 onwards, as though that were the entire argument. He also provided the numbers compared to the rest of the league now. How is it unfair to compare eras like that?

Just because you don't like the facts he posted doesn't mean you get to yell about motivations and obscuring truths, and somehow disregard what he said.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

It's not really a commentary on Lee's value. He's just not the sort of player we should be after, any more than we should be after Pacioretty. Both are probably more valuable in an abstract sense than Brodin, but are worse fits on the Wild.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
It's not really a commentary on Lee's value. He's just not the sort of player we should be after, any more than we should be after Pacioretty. Both are probably more valuable in an abstract sense than Brodin, but are worse fits on the Wild.

It was clear the Wild had all heavy artillery to battle the size of the Jets, Lee would be over-kill. He is also on the decline.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There seems to be a few good wingers available as UFAs every year. Good defenders however aren't nearly as available and and supply is typically much more limited.

Mike Green
Toby Enström
Jack Johnson
John Carlson
Calvin De Haan

It's actually a pretty decent year for Defense UFAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad