Player Discussion What to do with Maroon?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like Maroon. I think I would be ok with a 3X3 deal. I would take him at 3-4mil over Lucic's 6mil every day of the week.

The game has changed to more speed/skill. Having both Lucic and Maroon locked into your LW is potentially really pigeon holing your team. Maroon's productivity away from McDavid is also concerning. Even though he has shown good chemistry with McDavid, I think you have to treat him as 3rd line player who has fairly high probability of declining. When you look at players of similar age and similar skill set, there is a high chance Maroon is going to be less and less productive as the years go on (I would be very concerned of giving him more than 3 years - I think even 3 is probably too much).

Maroon was great last year and he has been decent this year. When you look at typical player regressions, theres a high probability that Maroon is just going to keep going down production wise.

That being said, the Oilers need more NHL legit wingers, not less. And probably the biggest problem is if you trade Maroon, who do you replace him with? They have nothing in the farm system in terms of LW. They are going to have to pick up someone from UFA or trade. There is risk in who they pick up. Will that player make as much money or more than just signing Maroon? Will management actually target someone who fits in better with Edmonton than Maroon does currently? Every UFA period we see teams make bad decisions betting on guys (including the Oilers).

Other side of the coin is should we be targeting someone better to play with McDavid than Maroon and use whatever money you're going to pay Maroon for this player? I think this is a smart idea, but its easy to say in theory and harder to pull off in reality. But what if they sign Maroon to a 3-4 year deal, and someone comes in a year or two whos better with McDavid. Then what do you do with Maroon,? who hasnt shown to really produce without McDavid. Signing Maroon doesnt offer much in roster flexibility. If they can sign Maroon to a lower term and money, it gives them more flexibilty. I dont expect Maroon to take a discount nor should he, when none of the previous signings have. This is probably his last real chance at getting himself a good deal. But I think management does need to try and sell Maroon on having the opportunity to play with a star player that hes not going to get anywhere else, and management should be strongarming him to get the best deal for the Oilers (but they havent shown this ability in the latest few signings so I dont expect them to start now).

It should be noted that not everyone has shown the ability to play with McDavid and we should just not assume that anyone can do it. We have seen this over many years with Crosby. Even if the Oilers were to go out and get Hoffman, Pacorietty, etc, it doesnt mean they are going to click with McDavid because they are a better player than Maroon.

I think the proper move is to probably trade him at this point. There are advantages and risks to signing him but I think the risks outweigh the advantages from a pure logic point of view. I dont think the proper way to manage is by the fear of making a mistake (at least in this case). Even though I think the proper move is to trade him, I dont feel too confident in management replacing him with a more useful player and they certainly cant count on depth from the AHL level. It is a difficult decision though (or it might not be if he wants too much money).

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We need more speed in the line-up.

If you can find a way to get Lucic to waive his NMC and if Edmonton isn't taking an equally toxic contract in return, I'd be cool with resigning Maroon.

PC needs to go out and get 2 top 6 LW (tall order) and 1-2 middle 6RW (another tall order) in the off-season.

New guy-McDavid-Puljujarvi
New guy-Drai-Yama/Newguy
Lucic-Hopkins-Strome/Slepyshev/New guy
Drake-Khaira-Kassian
Slepyshev/Strome

Also: Our d-core needs a 2nd pairing guy to play on the right side.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom/Sekera-New guy
Klefbom-Sekera-Davidson/Benning
Davidson/Benning

Also: We need to find a goalie that can play 1/2 of the games. Talbot isn't built to play 100 games per year.

Talbot
New guy

Chop-chop, PC! And don't you dare trade that 1st rounder for a magic bean!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would Lucic in a million years have scored that goal Maroon scored tonight? Doubt he would have even got his stick on that puck. Maybe wouldn't even have known the puck was there to be had if he was in the same spot.

I really wish we could keep Maroon over Lucic. I think McDavid can use a big guy with soft hands around the net, and a quicker winger on the other side. Wish proper coaching and assignments, could be as good as it gets.

Too bad we're gonna be stuck with a guy instead that tries to play like an old slow stone handed Taylor Hall that doesn't like to skate.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Solid game from him tonight. That said unless we could move out Lucic or he signs for a discount, I don't see him here come March.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Bangers

May 31, 2006
IMO, the fact that he has yet to sign an extension means he's getting moved at the deadline.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
IMO, the fact that he has yet to sign an extension means he's getting moved at the deadline.

Maroon looked sad in the interview on a night where things were going for him and he had a great night. I hadn't seen that maroon before, he was just dejected. Very untypical so I figure he doesn't like whats going on. Last night confirmed to me he's gone. That they're giving him looks with McD again after burying him tells me more.

It will make me sick even more having to watch Lucic be putrid after this org has decided it can't afford to pay Maroon.

Reactions: PulYou and ujju2

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Trade him for a 2nd rounder plus prospect then offer him 4 years at 3 million in July. See how much he likes playing with Connor.
Lucic will work on speed this summer and once he gets on a decent run oilers can trade him in years ahead, retain some salary etc, he’ll waive his no trade. Maroon will be our cheaper Lucic with better hands...

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maroon looked sad in the interview on a night where things were going for him and he had a great night. I hadn't seen that maroon before, he was just dejected. Very untypical so I figure he doesn't like whats going on. Last night confirmed to me he's gone. That they're giving him looks with McD again after burying him tells me more.

It will make me sick even more having to watch Lucic be putrid after this org has decided it can't afford to pay Maroon.

Unfortunately at the end of the day it might not really even be a decision on the Oilers part. They might just be in a situation where they can't give Maroon the money he is looking for and continue to ice a full roster. The cap situation this team is going to find itself heading into next season could be really bad.

Or I guess you could say it was a decision that they made when they signed Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Draisaitl, McDavid to the contracts they did.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If only we could offload Lucic, or Sekera or Russell. Preferably Looch, I love the guy, but his contract is horrendous. I also think it's worth seeing Nuge on the wing. A 3C is much cheaper to find in the offseason (or just stay with Strome) than a first line winger.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If only we could offload Lucic, or Sekera or Russell. Preferably Looch, I love the guy, but his contract is horrendous. I also think it's worth seeing Nuge on the wing. A 3C is much cheaper to find in the offseason (or just stay with Strome) than a first line winger.

Ya I agree... dump Russell and his monumental $4 million contract ASAP as the Oilers don't need a guy who has as many points this season as the $14 million trio of Larsson, Sekera and Klefbom (in half as many games to boot)... plus be sure to keep Klefbom and Sekera around who are a combined -22 compared to Russell who is even on the year because minuses are good in golf and that's where they are heading shortly.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
My order to jettison:

Russell
Lucic
Sekera

Although Sekera has to improve post-injury recovery in a few weeks or I would put him top of the list.

Lucic is the only one on that list that I'd be interested in shedding right now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Any word on if there have been contract negotiations?

If there haven't been then I am shocked he has not been traded. Trade value seems to peak earlier these days. Plus the way he has been playing you really do not want a lot of eyes on him. He needed a big game last night but was completely flat.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If there haven't been then I am shocked he has not been traded. Trade value seems to peak earlier these days. Plus the way he has been playing you really do not want a lot of eyes on him. He needed a big game last night but was completely flat.

Chia might be waiting for the bigger names to move (Kane, Nash, Grabner, Patches) and to catch a team that was left out of those deals getting desperate to pay a higher price.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'd hate to see him go for picks because odds are, whoever the Oilers draft, they won't even come close to being as good as Maroon. Hell, they probably won't even play a single NHL game, they'll probably end up being Kevin Lowe's nephew or some shit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maroon is getting into the nasty little habit lately of standing around and watching the guy he's supposed to be covering, scoring goals.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Still in the keep him camp if it's at all feasible.

Yeah he's not perfect but if you trade him for a prospect you have to replace his production going forward.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I don't give shit, let him walk for all I care. This team is gping to be shit as long as the turd is our gm.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We have to do whatever we can to keep him. We cannot afford to lose more goal scoring from the wing ........ ugh, wishful thinking I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad