What The Hell, Giroux?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Remember when Crosby and Malkin were held pointless in 4 games while being swept by the Bruins that one year? Or when Crosby was held to one point in a 7 game series loss to the ****ing Habs of all teams? These things happen to the best of them. Giroux is a fantastic player, and has an excellent track record in the playoffs.
Are you from the future? Because that hasn't happened.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is why Giroux is not better than Crosby. He had a better regular season and when it counts Crosby is still the best player.

Reactions: maxmn

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yeah, it was embarrassing for Pittsburgh's players then, and now this situation is embarrassing for the Flyer's players.

"An excellent track record in the playoffs"??? He hasn't scored a playoff goal since 2014, and is below a ppg in his playoff career. He has 2 points in his last 10 playoff games... Dating back to May 1st 2012, Giroux has 10 points in 20 playoff games.

Let's not exaggerate here...
He's had health issues, and is only now returning to form, give him time. But you're right, he hasn't been good his last 3 series'. Also, your opinion doesn't mean much here; your a Pens fan who's clearly biased, and you getting worked up. Settle down.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
These last few years the Pens have done a great job at shutting down the top players on each team. Saw it with the caps both years. Jackets last year. Sharks in the finals..their guys were on a tear all playoffs until the finals. Predators last year. Forsberg couldnt get anything going. And now we are seeing it with the flyers. So I wouldnt put the blame on Giroux. Sullivan's system has been great focusing on other teams top lines. Basically by having Crosbys line out there with Dumo and Letang. Crosby is winning those matchups.

People talk about the lack of D on the Pens..but theyve done a great job(goaltending as well) at keeping top lines in check. If someone is going to beat the Pens its because of depth. Which is what could happen this year with Tampa, Boston, Nashville, Winnipeg, and Vegas having much more depth than teams in previous years.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Penguins defense involves the forwards backchecking furiously. That's not going to happen regularly during the regular season hence the very poor defensive numbers. Come playoff time the pens are rock solid though, as seen by Matt Murray's career playoff GAA of 1.88.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Yeah, it was embarrassing for Pittsburgh's players then, and now this situation is embarrassing for the Flyer's players.

"An excellent track record in the playoffs"??? He hasn't scored a playoff goal since 2014, and is below a ppg in his playoff career. He has 2 points in his last 10 playoff games... Dating back to May 1st 2012, Giroux has 10 points in 20 playoff games.

Everyone but Crosby and Malkin are below a ppg in the playoffs (except for players with a small # of GP). PPG in the playoffs is not easy these days.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is why Giroux is not better than Crosby. He had a better regular season and when it counts Crosby is still the best player.

You can say that about a lot of guys, not just Giroux. (Ie Kucherov)

Malkin had better regular season numbers and Crosby is still considered the better Pen.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Remember when Crosby and Malkin were held pointless in 4 games while being swept by the Bruins that one year? Or when Crosby was held to one point in a 7 game series loss to the ****ing Habs of all teams? These things happen to the best of them. Giroux is a fantastic player, and has an excellent track record in the playoffs.

One point in 7 games in the Habs series? Is your post a prediction or is it fake news?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The pens have a very good defense scheme that constantly pressures and stops much from getting close to Murray. You can tell they also scouted G out as evidenced by the turnovers they easily get off of him and the coverage they show on shots while on the pp. Hakstols system has something to do with it. They play not to lose. Gets you loser pts in the reg season and keeps games close but you get owned in the playoffs.

Simmonds is likely hurt. He started the season on a tear including a hat trick. Then he got hurt multiple times over a few games and hasent been the same.

Jake is brain dead as usual.

So you have G, Voracek and Simmonds no showing with very bad goaltending. No bueno.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
he's probably not producing cause he's afarid Gudas is gonna knock is head off accidentally on purpose

giphy.gif

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007

Do you know how many active players are over a PPG with at least 15 playoff games played?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Giroux hasn't been good. And I'm pretty sure Simmonds has been playing hurt for months...but nothing brings an entire team down like Brian Elliot level goaltending.

I'm not taking anything away from the Pens. They've won a lot of board battles and races to the puck.

But there have been times in this series where Philly has them penned up in their end and Murray bails them out time after time. Then anyone on the Pens skates down the ice and throws the puck on net... a routine save by any average NHL goalie... and its in the net.

I've seen a lot of mediocre goaltending over the years as a Flyer fan...and I'd take some mediocre goaltending right now. This guy is horrendous. Except one game.

Trade goalies and the Pens still win. But Giroux and Co. would look a lot better shooting on Brian Elliot, and Crosby/Malkin etc wouldn't be lighting up Murray.
The Flyers haven't had a top quality goalie since your GM was in net. (Okay, they traded Bob, off the top of my head.) I know Carter Hart is on the way, but how Flyer fans haven't been rioting on Broad Street over their embarrassing history of bad and mediocre goaltending I personally find disappointing.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I expected more from the Flyers all around than what I've seen this series. Had them even eliminating the Penguins.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
These last few years the Pens have done a great job at shutting down the top players on each team. Saw it with the caps both years. Jackets last year. Sharks in the finals..their guys were on a tear all playoffs until the finals. Predators last year. Forsberg couldnt get anything going. And now we are seeing it with the flyers. So I wouldnt put the blame on Giroux. Sullivan's system has been great focusing on other teams top lines. Basically by having Crosbys line out there with Dumo and Letang. Crosby is winning those matchups.

People talk about the lack of D on the Pens..but theyve done a great job(goaltending as well) at keeping top lines in check. If someone is going to beat the Pens its because of depth. Which is what could happen this year with Tampa, Boston, Nashville, Winnipeg, and Vegas having much more depth than teams in previous years.

Yes... the Pens staff is great at identifying tendencies and minimizing stars comfort zones and teams strategies... teams rarely do this in depth stuff during the season... Giroux was a relative unknown at wing... now there is a season of tape on him.. in critical games like playoffs people will play him different than they did when he had more defensive responsibilities at center...

Plus i think that perimeter shot strategy is really ill suited for the shotblocking era we are in... bylsma tried it with the pens when they kept getting upset in the playoffs... it works in the regular season cause teams aren't giving up the body to block shots as nuch... playoffs its very ineffective

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He's had health issues, and is only now returning to form, give him time. But you're right, he hasn't been good his last 3 series'. Also, your opinion doesn't mean much here; your a Pens fan who's clearly biased, and you getting worked up. Settle down.

So he's had health issues since the start of the 2012 2nd round? :laugh:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

The entire Philadelphia Flyers franchise has 12 playoff goals in 11 games since 2014. Ever think that maybe this isn't a Giroux problem?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
So he's had health issues since the start of the 2012 2nd round? :laugh:
If you're a Pens fan, you probably shouldn't comment on this topic right now if you're gonna be negative. All the hating posts from Pens fans in here can be translated to pretty much this: "Giroux was a meanie in 2012, and I hate him and the Flyers, and the Flyers suck, and Giroux is a poopie head who sucks at hockey." Some fans just can't be objective I guess. I hate the Flyers too, but Giroux is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad