What The Hell, Giroux?

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Everyone but Crosby and Malkin are below a ppg in the playoffs (except for players with a small # of GP). PPG in the playoffs is not easy these days.

I guess it depends on how you define a small number of games played but don't forget about Kucherov.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If you're a Pens fan, you probably shouldn't comment on this topic right now if you're gonna be negative. All the hating posts from Pens fans in here can be translated to pretty much this: "Giroux was a meanie in 2012, and I hate him and the Flyers, and the Flyers suck, and Giroux is a poopie head who sucks at hockey." Some fans just can't be objective I guess. I hate the Flyers too, but Giroux is great.

Okay, Pens fans hate Giroux. Way to state the obvious. But you still didn't answer the question - has Giroux been hurt since the start of the 2012 2nd round? You mentioned he has had health issues. Were you implying those health issues have been nagging him 6 straight years and they are the only reason he would perform poorly in the playoffs since then?

Reactions: maxmn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
After such an impressive season, I can't believe he has been as poor as he has been in the playoffs. He has one point and is -7. The last time he faced the Penguins in the playoffs, he really lit them up, too.

Also, Wayne Simmonds really seems overrated. I'm not just basing this on this series. I don't recall ever being impressed enough by him to justify some people's perception of the guy.

The Flyers are utterly outclassed in every single way in this series.

Not sure what you expected.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It’s a bad series. Happens to all players. Getzlaf who has great playoff numbers just finished with 2 assists in 4 games. Crosby has had series where he hasn’t produced in the past. Toews and Kane did nothing last year against Nashville either.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That tells me it’s a huge Giroux problem. If you wanna be known as a top player, you better produce in the playoffs.

I know you historically have given very little room for nuance when it comes to players and teams you don't like, so I sort of expect this response, but hockey's a team sport, and if you play very badly as a team it can be difficult for players to produce, even very good ones. So "you better produce in the playoffs" and yet the guy's shown, in spades, that he can do that: 5 in 6 as a rookie, 21 in 23 in his first full season, 12 in 11 the year after that, 17 in 10 the next season, 6 in 7 in his next appearance.

So if the whole team has been garbage in their last 2 playoff appearances, and you've heard the whole fanbase screaming that the coaching and the depth is a problem, then maybe you can correlate those things.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I know you historically have given very little room for nuance when it comes to players and teams you don't like, so I sort of expect this response, but hockey's a team sport, and if you play very badly as a team it can be difficult for players to produce, even very good ones. So "you better produce in the playoffs" and yet the guy's shown, in spades, that he can do that: 5 in 6 as a rookie, 21 in 23 in his first full season, 12 in 11 the year after that, 17 in 10 the next season, 6 in 7 in his next appearance.

So if the whole team has been garbage in their last 2 playoff appearances, and you've heard the whole fanbase screaming that the coaching and the depth is a problem, then maybe you can correlate those things.

Maybe the Flyers would have a deeper team if they didn't overpay Giroux and Voracek.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Maybe the Flyers would have a deeper team if they didn't overpay Lehtera, MacDonald, Filppula, Read, Weise and Gudas.

ftfy.

Giroux and Voracek are paid very appropriately (oh sorry what's the going rate for PPG+ forwards these days?), but keep having terrible lukewarm takes. The Flyers will have more than $18 million in cap space next season even if it only goes up $3 million (and it might be more), and that's with buyout-caliber trash like Lehtera and MacD still eating a combined $9.7 million. If they can bury them, trade them, or even buy them out, they'd be looking at around $25 million to spend after the cap bump with 12 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 2 (bad) goalies under contract.

Voracek, Giroux, Couturier, and Gostisbehere are all signed until 2022 or beyond at a combined $25.3 million. That's absurd, really: those 4 produced 328 points this year (that's, literally, 82 points each). Find me a single team that got that many points for that price without entry level contracts. I'll wait.

They will have to give raises to guys on ELCs, like Provorov and Konecny, in 2019, but the limit will keep going up and those awful players I mentioned will be off the books to create more than enough room. Their cap situation is actually terrific, one of the best in the league.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Giroux's seemingly disappointed in the playoffs ever since playing the Devils in 2012. I remember watching him in person at the Rock that series and he just looked like he was complaining the entire series and eventually hurt his own team with the hit on Zubrus.

It's odd because he was absolutely a thorn in the Devils side in 2009-10 and he had the ridiculous first round series against the Penguins in 2011-12. If he can get back to what he did earlier in his career, the Flyers would be a dangerous team to run into in the playoffs.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Okay, Pens fans hate Giroux. Way to state the obvious. But you still didn't answer the question - has Giroux been hurt since the start of the 2012 2nd round? You mentioned he has had health issues. Were you implying those health issues have been nagging him 6 straight years and they are the only reason he would perform poorly in the playoffs since then?

Oh? The Flyers have made the playoffs 6 straight years? His last 3 series haven't been good, I gave you that. Move on. All I hear is "Giroux sucks, the Flyers suck, blah, blah, blah". If I was a Pens fan I wouldn't mention 2012 lol. "but, but, but he's not as good as Crosby, he's not ppg in the playoffs". Not many are. Besides, your team got Crosby and Malkin because they sucked ass for 10+ years. Without 2 little plastic balls your team wouldn't have won jack-shit. The Pens success in the last 10 years is based on pure luck. So quit being bitter and petty, and get off your high horse.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Oh? The Flyers have made the playoffs 6 straight years? His last 3 series haven't been good, I gave you that. Move on. All I hear is "Giroux sucks, the Flyers suck, blah, blah, blah". If I was a Pens fan I wouldn't mention 2012 lol. "but, but, but he's not as good as Crosby, he's not ppg in the playoffs". Not many are. Besides, your team got Crosby and Malkin because they sucked ass for 10+ years. Without 2 little plastic balls your team wouldn't have won jack-****. The Pens success in the last 10 years is based on pure luck. So quit being bitter and petty, and get off your high horse.

Actually the Pens were only bad for three years before they drafted Malkin and Crosby and bad in Crosby’s rookie season. They’ve been deadline buyers for I think 26 of the last 30 seasons. Nice try though.

And the 6 years reference wasn’t me saying the Flyers made the playoffs 6 straight years, I was calling you out for excuse making. But I guess you couldn’t pick up on it. Not surprising since your only responses on this thread seem to be “OMG YOU CAN’T CALL OUT GIROUX CUZ REASONS!” :laugh:

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Actually the Pens were only bad for three years before they drafted Malkin and Crosby and bad in Crosby’s rookie season. They’ve been deadline buyers for I think 26 of the last 30 seasons. Nice try though.

And the 6 years reference wasn’t me saying the Flyers made the playoffs 6 straight years, I was calling you out for excuse making. But I guess you couldn’t pick up on it. Not surprising since your only responses on this thread seem to be “OMG YOU CAN’T CALL OUT GIROUX CUZ REASONS!” :laugh:

Still waiting on the proper going rate for a PPG forward.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

Yeah ok bud. Like I said, without 2 little plastic balls, the Pens would have won shit since the early 90's. All luck. So again, move on, and cut the superiority BS.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Well, how about that... he scored. I made a thread asking what was wrong with Backstrom and he scored against SJ that same afternoon. I made a thread about Nyquist and he scored later that night.

Totally didn't expect Philly to win. Hopefully the Flyers play much better in game six than they did in their last two home games.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Well, how about that... he scored. I made a thread asking what was wrong with Backstrom and he scored against SJ that same afternoon. I made a thread about Nyquist and he scored later that night.

Totally didn't expect Philly to win. Hopefully the Flyers play much better in game six than they did in their last two home games.

Would you mind getting a "What The Hell, Simmonds," "What The Hell, Provorov," "What The Hell, Voracek," "What The Hell, Raffl," "What The Hell, Manning," "What The Hell, Hagg," "What The Hell, Gudas," "What The Hell, Read," and a few others up in the next 36 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->