GDT: What Should Be A Battle Royale Between McDrai and The Canes Defense...Except...

3CanesInTheBox

4!CanesintheBox
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Looks like I missed quite a game.

Also, Sebastian FRAKIN Aho. Wooow!
aho hockey elf meme canes.JPG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
A newfangled Old Fashioned is anything but!
I mean, an Old Fashioned gets its name from the fact that way back in the day, "cocktail" exclusively meant a drink of spirit, sugar, water (aka ice or some other form of dilution), and bitters. It's what somebody would have ordered during the late 1800s when "cocktail" grew to encompass most any mixed drink- they would have asked for an "old fashioned whiskey cocktail". Fruit additions, types of bitters, amount of sugar, amount of dilution could all vary based on the bar. Especially back in an era where a lot of ingredients like bitters and syrups weren't standardized and bars made their own.

The "Old Fashioned" meaning only one possible, narrow recipe is, in fact, the newfangled thing. When they were first invented they would have just been a "whiskey cocktail" and it could have meant damn near anything. For example, the Sazerac started life (despite many, many myths) as the Sazerac company's prebottled "whiskey cocktail", because it fit that traditional cocktail formula. Spirit, sugar, bitters, and you the buyer would just pour it on ice for the water. The "Sazerac Whiskey Cocktail" just became the Sazerac.

Live a little. And try some different bitters in your old fashioneds. I made some molé bitters a while back, they're great. A dash of orange bitters (or another citrus bitter) in with the angostura is also wonderful.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Keep it simple. Pour some whiskey [preferably Tennessee] in a glass. Sit back. Relax.

As usual, I feel asleep after the first Aho goal, woke up with about 5 minutes remaining, to see Aho score again and the team close it out.

I’ve got Bookers 2021 4th release. saving it though, at 90 bucks, hard to crack open for no reason

Reactions: hockeynjune

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I mean, an Old Fashioned gets its name from the fact that way back in the day, "cocktail" exclusively meant a drink of spirit, sugar, water (aka ice or some other form of dilution), and bitters. It's what somebody would have ordered during the late 1800s when "cocktail" grew to encompass most any mixed drink- they would have asked for an "old fashioned whiskey cocktail". Fruit additions, types of bitters, amount of sugar, amount of dilution could all vary based on the bar. Especially back in an era where a lot of ingredients like bitters and syrups weren't standardized and bars made their own.

The "Old Fashioned" meaning only one possible, narrow recipe is, in fact, the newfangled thing. When they were first invented they would have just been a "whiskey cocktail" and it could have meant damn near anything. For example, the Sazerac started life (despite many, many myths) as the Sazerac company's prebottled "whiskey cocktail", because it fit that traditional cocktail formula. Spirit, sugar, bitters, and you the buyer would just pour it on ice for the water. The "Sazerac Whiskey Cocktail" just became the Sazerac.

Live a little. And try some different bitters in your old fashioneds. I made some molé bitters a while back, they're great. A dash of orange bitters (or another citrus bitter) in with the angostura is also wonderful.

Yes, variants on Old Fashioneds are very good and should be enjoyed.

No, those variants are not Old Fashioneds, no matter what the 18th Century definition may have been.

If it's a variant, call it "your take on the Old Fashioned." Don't call it an Old Fashioned, because when what you deliver has raspberry jam instead of simple syrup and a mango peel instead of an orange peel and cognac instead of bourbon, it's not gonna be an Old Fashioned, and that's what I f***ing ordered, Steve

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes, variants on Old Fashioneds are very good and should be enjoyed.

No, those variants are not Old Fashioneds, no matter what the 18th Century definition may have been.

If it's a variant, call it "your take on the Old Fashioned." Don't call it an Old Fashioned, because when what you deliver has raspberry jam instead of simple syrup and a mango peel instead of an orange peel and cognac instead of bourbon, it's not gonna be an Old Fashioned, and that's what I f***ing ordered, Steve

What's the true drink and what's the variant? My point is that these variations don't come from bartenders taking the OneTrueDrink and varying from it, it's that there has never been any real consensus on what exactly the definitional Old Fashioned is. Everybody has made it somewhat differently for the entire existence of the cocktail, and there never has been a single universally accepted definition of the Old Fashioned. Hell, there are parts of the country where topping the thing off with Sprite is standard practice at every bar, and has been for most of a century. A version without the Sprite is very clearly the variant there.

Also, if you go to Wisconsin, don't order your Brandy Old Fashioned with cognac. They don't much like coastal elitists.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Everybody has made it somewhat differently for the entire existence of the cocktail, and there never has been a single universally accepted definition of the Old Fashioned.

Look, this just isn't true. The Old Fashioned has been sugar, bitters, whiskey and twist since at least the Civil War, when it was the Whiskey Cocktail served to Union officers. The Jerry Thomas 1862 Whiskey Cocktail was 1 bar spoon Gum Syrup (an old simple), 2 dashes Boker's bitters, 2 ounces whiskey, and a lemon peel. In the late 19th century it started to be delineated as the Old Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail to distinguish it from the many more modern whiskey cocktails that were emerging. It's in every notable bar book through several periods: Kappeler's 1895 Modern American Drinks, Embury's 1948 Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, the original 1951 IBA list.

The only point that's ever been in question about the Old Fashioned is whether it's acceptable to muddle fruit in or not, and though this became common practice in the US during Prohibition to help mask the burn of cheap hooch, the main line is, and always has been, sugar, bitters, whiskey, and citrus peel.

I note that you cite Wisconsin, which is a special case in all matters cocktail, because those heathens will substitute brandy for damned near anything -- and their Brandy Alexander has ice cream. I don't drink with people from Wisconsin anymore. It's disturbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I find it not at all shocking that we don’t agree on Old Fashions.

I just say “thank you” and drink whatever they give me after I order it, I’m just entering the time in my life where I entertain making my own or caring enough about the contents.
"Oh look, my favorite drink, the alcohol!"

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't mind an Old Fashioned but it seems like one of those things that you can't order anymore without people thinking you're a hipster. I have the same dilemma with buying music on vinyl.

so now I drink whiskey sours and buy CDs

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
an old fashioned is good every once in a while, but it has to be a thing you want

when your lady only wants to serve you old fashionedses, it starts to get old after a while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad