GDT: What Should Be A Battle Royale Between McDrai and The Canes Defense...Except...

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I really need to learn how to make those, I'm usually pretty decent at cocktails but that's one I have yet to really try much
Simple syrup, bitters, whiskey and orange peel, but you have twist the orange peel to get the oils out.

It's like a bar spoon of simple, bar spoon of bitters, and 2 Oz of whiskey. With ice and stir

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Simple syrup, bitters, whiskey and orange peel, but you have twist the orange peel to get the oils out.

It's like a bar spoon of simple, bar spoon of bitters, and 2 Oz of whiskey. With ice and stir

It’s really the simplest drink to make. Drives me crazy when I order a standard one at a bar or restaurant and they decide to put some stupid twist on it that’s not advertised.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It’s really the simplest drink to make. Drives me crazy when I order a standard one at a bar or restaurant and they decide to put some stupid twist on it that’s not advertised.

This is one of the drinks that I find is most frequently altered. Seems like everyone has their own take on it. There was a time when I drank almost nothing but Old Fashioneds, and I found that I had to be very clear, even down to the bitters I preferred.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This is one of the drinks that I find is most frequently altered. Seems like everyone has their own take on it. There was a time when I drank almost nothing but Old Fashioneds, and I found that I had to be very clear, even down to the bitters I preferred.

It drives me crazy, though, as it’s the most classic of cocktails. I feel like no one should be straying from the basic recipe unless they’re advertising it as such. Unfortunately, it happens, and I’ve drank my share of strange old fashioneds because I was too polite to say anything when they dropped it at my table.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Can't remember a Canes game with that combination of physical play and stick work on D.

Somewhere Edzo is babbling about active sticks.

Canes are much more physical this year....they are not just a "skill" team this year.

I know there was a lot of angst over losing Dougie but Cole, Smith, Chatfield along with the squad no longer kids is a big positive. Playing the Bolts has probably helped as well in seeing what is required to win.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Exactly. This is so obvious, too!

I mean, I have absolutely no problem if you want to experiment, because it's a great base for experimentation. Just don't call the result an Old Fashioned and pretend it's an actual Old Fashioned.
Hell I've even had some that are legitimately VERY interesting drinks in their own right. I want to say it was Krankies of all places that had one where they used some kind of tea in place of the water that turned out to be a really damn good drink, they also had the good sense not to call it a straight up Old Fashioned but rather added in the other ingredient in the name descriptor.

And now it's killing me trying to remember what kind of tea it was. It wasn't Earl Gray, I would have remembered that one because I've seen that at some cocktail bars before.

Reactions: Tryamw

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Exactly. This is so obvious, too!

I mean, I have absolutely no problem if you want to experiment, because it's a great base for experimentation. Just don't call the result an Old Fashioned and pretend it's an actual Old Fashioned.
On a similar note... I used to host a yearly martini and pot luck appetizer night. Supplied the gin, (and yes, vodka to my chagrin), vermouth, olives, lots of ice - crushed and rocks. Some time in the late 90s or early 2000s someone brought berries and mint into the equation. Now I am not so obstinate that I'm not open to new things but I hated the fact they were calling them fruit martinis. Tasty? Not bad, but not martinis dammit! It only got worse in the ensuing years.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
On a similar note... I used to host a yearly martini and pot luck appetizer night. Supplied the gin, (and yes, vodka to my chagrin), vermouth, olives, lots of ice - crushed and rocks. Some time in the late 90s or early 2000s someone brought berries and mint into the equation. Now I am not so obstinate that I'm not open to new things but I hated the fact they were calling them fruit martinis. Tasty? Not bad, but not martinis dammit! It only got worse in the ensuing years.

appletini chocotini. madness.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I understand the reluctance. But isn’t a juniper berry the source of gin, so therefore all martinis contain berries?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad