What makes Tavares a better talent than Schroeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLCPunk*

3) JT was on the ice final minute of a 5-4 game, that shows the coaching staff trusts him in his defensive abilities. You're too busy looking at the big picture.

Ok cool, but at the end of the day, it's still an empty net goal...

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB

You could argue that, but you're missing my point. People always questioned Tavares' defensive ability, so what's he doing on the ice final minute of a game like this?

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I'm not trying to discredit Tavares, but here is a break down of his goals.

1) wide open net that even I could have scored.
2) wouldn't have happened had the D-man's stick not broken...however, did show nice skill on the play.
3) Empty net goals are just lame

I'm not trying to discredit Tavares, so I'll go ahead and discredit him now. Come up with something that makes sense next time.

Really? Tavares is the best player in the draft, he has showed why in this tournament. Schroeder is a hell of a player, and you could see the skill he has, but he's not on Tavares level.

Schroeder will go top 10 in the draft, and he should probably go top 5.

SLCPunk*

You could argue that, but you're missing my point. People always questioned Tavares' defensive ability, so what's he doing on the ice final minute of a game like this?

Ok cool, but never have I ever heard people say how good someone is over an empty net goal...

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

Yes it was. And the fact that John Tavares can put a puck in an empty net has nothing to do with how noteworthy that goal is.

Look at the replay. Look at the American player that can't get the puck off Tavares because he's protecting it so well. He showed on that play one of least heralded skills -- and perhaps one of his most important.

If you're too busy to go back and watch the replay, the American player that Tavares fended off was .... Jordan Schroeder. Yes, he had trouble catching up the "slow-footed" Tavares, too. Pretty telling goal, all-in-all.

It's a small detail, but it's one that scouts notice. Schroeder will still have a very productive NHL career, so don't think that I'm slagging him.

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site

2) wouldn't have happened had the D-man's stick not broken...however, did show nice skill on the play.

Goal scorers find a way to put the puck in the net. Not win style points.

I watched Mike Bossy his entire career. His detractors (fans, not opponents) somehow found fault with some of his goals too...while he was dominating their teams.

Just as Taveras is doing in this tournament. Funny then, funny now.

One could be dropped down from Mars, know not a damn thing about hockey, watch this tournament...and easily see that Taveras towers. These are big games and he is proving to be a big game player, producing famously.

It's undeniable, simple...and more impressive (and important) than anything else.

Adding: that does not mean Taveras = Bossy or anything near it at this point. He has to do it in the Adult League. But his elite level of play among his current peers is undeniable.

Last edited:

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

Funny how a lot of JT's goals are into wide open nets. How come no other player seems to be getting open like that? I mean, it's just that easy, right? Anyone should be able to score like that, so how come it's always JT?

The bottom line is that great goal scorers find ways to get open like that, and it isn't something just anyone can do.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Here's the deal, hype or no hype, neither of the players are worth a damn until they hit the NHL and show what they can do here. How many times have players racked up the points and shown promise before getting to the NHL, and then bombing completely?

I like them both and would be happy with either of them on my team, but I reserve judgement until they get to the NHL.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Goal scorers find a way to put the puck in the net. Not win style points.

I watched Mike Bossy his entire career. His detractors (fans, not opponents) somehow found fault with some of his goals too...while he was dominating their teams.

Just as Taveras is doing in this tournament. Funny then, funny now.

One could be dropped down from Mars, know not a damn thing about hockey, watch this tournament...and easily see that Taveras towers. These are big games and he is proving to be a big game player, producing famously.

It's undeniable, simple...and more impressive (and important) than anything else.

Adding: that does not mean Taveras = Bossy or anything near it at this point. He has to do it in the Adult League. But his elite level of play among his current peers is undeniable.

None of that means anything because he scored on an empty net. Haha, I could do that. We should go back and review each and every one of his OHL goals to see if they were scored on empty nets. I'm betting a solid 30% of them were, maybe more.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
None of that means anything because he scored on an empty net. Haha, I could do that. We should go back and review each and every one of his OHL goals to see if they were scored on empty nets. I'm betting a solid 30% of them were, maybe more.

Why aren't more players scoring in empty nets like he does?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

Please tell me this post is a sarcastic joke. (I bet an unsolid 30% were empty net goals)

The more I read this over again the move I get a kick out of it. Dear Brandinho, are you aware the Wayne Gretzky holds the NHL record for most empty net goals?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Please tell me this post is a sarcastic joke. (I bet an unsolid 30% were empty net goals)

The more I read this over again the move I get a kick out of it. Dear Brandinho, are you aware the Wayne Gretzky holds the NHL record for most empty net goals?

Yet another reason he's the most overrated player ever. If he weren't Canadian, he'd be a borderline Hall of Famer.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Don't sound so surprised, this is the same guy who says the WHL dmen are pylons.

If you're going to refer to a thread from months ago in a completely unrelated thread, at least try not to take a statement I made completely out of context. I wouldn't have expected any better from you, though.

And I'm not sure what's worse...that they couldn't tell I was being sarcastic or that you rushed in to misquote me in a thread that has nothing to do with the WHL or defensemen.

Vicarious

Oct 11, 2007
Toronto
Tavares proved tonight why he should get #1 or #2 overall, leadership, determination and the strength to score goals and revive his team when they hit the gutter early on.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
true...he's absolutely a leader. with your team down 3-0 pretty fast...you need guys to step up. he did in an impressive way.

that sick second goal totaly turned the momentum

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
Ok cool, but never have I ever heard people say how good someone is over an empty net goal...

ok lets talk about how bad the defender is that couldnt stop the empty net goal then... even though he was on tavares back from the blue line...

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
Being an American and a talent evaulator for the OHL in the American areas and seeign Schroeder play I will start wiht teh obvious.

Size--Tavares is 6 feet 190 pounds while Schroeder is a water bug at 5 9 170. He is strong and I am not saying size is everything but it sure as hell helps.

Tavares has been in the OHL since he was 15 the kid has a great ceiling and all the nay sayers out there he is an incredible prospect. His game is at a pro-style level and he competes and works so hard.
The other thing is when you see these games, Tavares doesn't need a linemate at the junior aged level, he is the line at times. He possesses ok speed, great size and by size i mean his base and arms he is built for hockey.
After watchign Tavares take over, and I mean he took over that USA canada game, he is a leader too. I don't know if he will go number one, but Schroeder is not even close to the talent and ability Tavares possesses. He is soooo good. I mean Tavares is at another level. Schroeder will be and deserves a top 10 slot, but you cannot even come close to comparing the two. Tavares is a natural goal scorer who will potentially score 50 goals during his prime consistently. Schroeder is a Pat Kane type palyer who will creat for his teammates, but will score 20-30 goals in his prime. THe differences are so obvious and the fact that people would consider for a second taht Schroedeer is even comparable to Tavares is absurd.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
anyone ripping JT for his seemingly "easy" goals- please give your head a shake. mario, bure and bossy scored a huge amount of goals from the same spot. the kid is absolutely oozing offensive awareness. most accurate shot ive seen in a while...his passing and hands are just as incredible. always a step ahead.

schroeder is awesome as well- but he has to work hard for his chances. he is a very smart player and takes few risks. not sure if he has kanes offensive prowess, but he seems like a very safe choice. JT seems like he has more of a mastery of the offensive game up to this point. i havent seen hedman yet- but he has to be one heck of a player to trump what JT brings to the table.

AUC2MIC

Dec 24, 2008
AHHHHH shroeder DO SOMETHING!!!
I can't believe we're gonna lose to the slovaks

Chea*

Yet another reason he's the most overrated player ever. If he weren't Canadian, he'd be a borderline Hall of Famer.

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy. Howe and Orr are from the same cloth. Over-rated Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad