What makes Tavares a better talent than Schroeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russmatuss

Feb 10, 2008
Liverpool, England
That's why Tavares is better than Schroeder.

If that was Tavares in the USA/Slovakia game, he likely would've made the game his own and possibly won it for USA.

(just my opinion)

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
That's why Tavares is better than Schroeder.

If that was Tavares in the USA/Slovakia game, he likely would've made the game his own and possibly won it for USA.

(just my opinion)

Unless he can play goalie, I don't think so.

But I agree with your general premise, just not that he'd have done much today. Janus could have beaten anybody with the way he played.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not trying to discredit Tavares, but here is a break down of his goals.

1) wide open net that even I could have scored.
2) wouldn't have happened had the D-man's stick not broken...however, did show nice skill on the play.
3) Empty net goals are just lame

obvious that you havn't played much hockey. getting open at this level is a huge talent and something only one player in this tourney has been able to accomplish

SuperUke99

Oct 2, 2005
Calgary
Two points.

1. The scouts don't care where you're from.

2. Perhaps if Shroeder was not being compared to Tavares, he would get more credit. But when people feel they need to discredit Tavares to credit Schroeder, then there will be people who will take the opposite stand. If this was a thread about how Schroeder is tearing it up or looking great or whatever, then it wouldn't be as hotly debated. But when you want to compare someone to the concensus 1 or 2 pick, then you need to understand that people will argue based on that stance.

I beg to differ. Why have the Russian prospects been dropping on draft day???:sarcasm:

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
Is that argument still going?

To quote Lester Averman from D3, "It's over baby"

Canada/US and the US/SVK pretty much answered the question. I feel more worried for Cowen and his third place ranking than I do for JT and "HED"'s 1 and 2

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB

But I agree with your general premise, just not that he'd have done much today. Janus could have beaten anybody with the way he played.

Alright. I won't disagree the goalie was terrible. But there's also 5 other players on the ice at the same time.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Alright. I won't disagree the goalie was terrible. But there's also 5 other players on the ice at the same time.

Yeah but they weren't the problem. Look, I'm not saying having Tavares wouldn't have helped considering he's the best prospect in the tournament, but I don't think he'd have been the difference between winning and losing.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
He isn't a great skater. He can't finish unless someone sets him up, the goaltending is weak, or the coverage in front of the net is lacking. I fail to see what makes this guy so special. The only thing he is good at is playmaking and i thought he was a goal scorer. Boychuk is a better finisher. I want to see how he does against the American team. I'll eat my words if this guy does better than he has. But so far, not impressive.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA tavares lit up the american team bud..thats heart this kid showed hes a DYNAMIC player i dont care what anyone says hes a generational talent and more superior than hedmen

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
JT is not soft, just smarter than the other players on the ice. Some players just think differently, when you can outhink your opponent and create opportunities to capture the puck a very smart player uses only as much energy as required. This is a skill that has been honed over the years for a go-to scorer. Over years and from a young age they are required to always be a threat and taught to manager their energy as the game often depends on their success at the net . . . it is training that a young phenom learns as they mature. Ask any player and they will tell you it is a lot tougher being the one with the puck, winning battles down low and throughout the scoring lanes where your opponents only aim is to knock your head off. Who is the tougher player, the one who takes the hit to score the goal or the one dishing out the punishment. I say JT is mentally tough, physical tough and that is why he scores so many goals.

Well put I really like what you posted, me on the other hand am to lazy to break down both players pros and cons. I will just wait for someone else to do all the work and either agree or disagree.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
He isn't a great skater. He can't finish unless someone sets him up, the goaltending is weak, or the coverage in front of the net is lacking. I fail to see what makes this guy so special. The only thing he is good at is playmaking and i thought he was a goal scorer. Boychuk is a better finisher. I want to see how he does against the American team. I'll eat my words if this guy does better than he has. But so far, not impressive.

That's we JT managed to get a near breakaway for his EN goal? I mean if he wasn't a great skater shouldn't Schroeder have been able to catch up to him no problem and strip him of the puck no problem.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

I hope you are eating your words.

Anyone that picks Schroeder over Tavares needs a serious reality check. They are not in the same league in terms of talent.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

When the Americans were up 3-0 against Canada, Im sure alot of people were thinking the same thing. There is no one in this tournament near Tavares' talent level (aside from Hedman). Even if Tavares had a mediocre tournament I would feel the same way. Filatov, Hodgson, JVR, Schroeder, etc are all exceptional players and will all find themselves in the NHL sooner rather than later but Tavares just as that extra gear. He just sees thing differently on the ice.

SimonTemplar

Sep 13, 2006
London ON.
Originally Posted by Wreck Gar

I have been hearing the same argument for three years. Can't skate, needs help on his lines, not physical blah , blah , blah. But again this year on a very weak Oshawa team he continued to carry a whole team to third spot.

Do you deep fry that crow or just eat it raw.

Boychuk a better finisher than JT is also pretty hilarious.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
When the Americans were up 3-0 against Canada, Im sure alot of people were thinking the same thing. There is no one in this tournament near Tavares' talent level (aside from Hedman). Even if Tavares had a mediocre tournament I would feel the same way. Filatov, Hodgson, JVR, Schroeder, etc are all exceptional players and will all find themselves in the NHL sooner rather than later but Tavares just as that extra gear. He just sees thing differently on the ice.

Actually, there are definitely players that are near Tavares in terms of talent. The area in which he really distinguishes himself is his mental game. He's better than anyone at being in the right place and putting himself in position to score goals. He's not the most physically talented player in the draft, he's simply the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad