What is Your Guess of a Bergevin "Re-Tool"?

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Come on... yes you would. Did you watch last season? No matter what we do, I will always watch the games and make the trip to Montreal to see a few games live every year. It's in my blood. Can't help it

Nope, aside maybe 4-5 games.

Glad you are finally realizing Bergevin is awful and will make terrible moves.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Set aside what you want us to do... What is your guess at a Bergevin "re-tool"? Mine is as follows. Posted this in another thread and thought it would be interesting to see what others think Bergevin will do this summer

- Drafts Zadina and he plays on our roster at the age of 18/19
- He keeps Patch and re-signs him. 5 year deal at $6.5M
- Signs Stastny to a 4 year deal at $7M
- Signs Pleky to a 1 year deal at $3M
- Re-Signs Danault to a 6 year deal at $3.5M
- Re-Signs DLR to a 2 year deal at $1M
- Trades Galchenyuk, Byron, Schlemko for Hanifin and a grade B prospect.

Drouin / Stastny / Zadina
Patch / Danault / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

Still about $5M in cap space believe it or not. Do I like it? Meh, it's better than last year's roster I guess. Possible 1st round or 2nd round playoff exit.

I'm afraid you may be right on several of those projected moves. And I don't mean drafting Zadina, that's definitely not a negative. But the rest ... I'd like to see us go in a direction that doesn't force us to use Danault on the 2nd line. I've always believed that when we can use Danault as a third line center, we'd finally have a viable top 6C duo. Let's make that happen.

As far as Stastny goes, I'm afraid he won't sign for 4 years only. If he does and that's the best we can do, it'll beat carrying over massive unused cap space for another year. He won't cost assets and it'll buy us time to draft and develop someone or who knows, prevail on some trade for a no. 1C. And that's a trade a future GM will do, I don't think MB will be around to see it or do it.

I'd be sad to see Galchenyuk traded as we won't get the return we could have had, if he had been better handled. Of course, some of it is on the player but the organization did not give him the rope that other clubs afford to an early first round pick like him. However, we need to jump on Hanifin -- other teams are vying for the player and we are in a bad spot -- there aren't too many no. 1 pairing LHDs available, who are young as he is and ready to step in. And who could be groomed fairly easily with the likes of Weber and the new assistant coaches we'll have this year.

As for your D pairings, Mete doesn't belong on the first pair. He's a 2nd pairing D right now. Hanifin would be a better candidate as first pairing. However, let's get him first -- the Canes are going to demand a big price but it'll be worth it.

Finally, I'd demote Alzner to the AHL. Or attempt to pass him on a trade, he's just too much of a liability. Just my take.

Oh and if Patches is part of your lineup next year, it's cause he's going to be extended as a Hab -- don't like the idea. Like it even less if you're committing to both Patches and Stastny on long term deals -- it's not an optimal use of cap space.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm afraid you may be right on several of those projected moves. And I don't mean drafting Zadina, that's definitely not a negative. But the rest ... I'd like to see us go in a direction that doesn't force us to use Danault on the 2nd line. I've always believed that when we can use Danault as a third line center, we'd finally have a viable top 6C duo. Let's make that happen.

As far as Stastny goes, I'm afraid he won't sign for 4 years only. If he does and that's the best we can do, it'll beat carrying over massive unused cap space for another year. He won't cost assets and it'll buy us time to draft and develop someone or who knows, prevail on some trade for a no. 1C. And that's a trade a future GM will do, I don't think MB will be around to see it or do it.

I'd be sad to see Galchenyuk traded as we won't get the return we could have had, if he had been better handled. Of course, some of it is on the player but the organization did not give him the rope that other clubs afford to an early first round pick like him. However, we need to jump on Hanifin -- other teams are vying for the player and we are in a bad spot -- there aren't too many no. 1 pairing LHDs available, who are young as he is and ready to step in. And who could be groomed fairly easily with the likes of Weber and the new assistant coaches we'll have this year.

As for your D pairings, Mete doesn't belong on the first pair. He's a 2nd pairing D right now. Hanifin would be a better candidate as first pairing. However, let's get him first -- the Canes are going to demand a big price but it'll be worth it.

Finally, I'd demote Alzner to the AHL. Or attempt to pass him on a trade, he's just too much of a liability. Just my take.
I wouldn't mind if they did this again...except this time, they act as a dumping ground for teams who are trying to compete now AND shed salary quickly.

Again, I know i'm going on and on about this, but Vegas got a William Karlsson + 1st + 2nd just to eat David Clarkson's contract & promise not to touch another CBJ player in the expansion draft.

Habs should be in full out asset-hoarding mode...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
- Drafts Zadina
- Trade Pacioretty to Kings for Adrian Kempe + Kyle Clague + conditional 2nd round pick (becomes 1st if he re-signs with Kings)
- Acquire Nick Bjugstad for a one of our 2nd round picks in 2018 + Michael McCarron (+whatever filler is required)
- Re-sign Danault
- Re-sign DLR

Drouin-Kempe-Gallagher
Zadina-Bjugstad-Galchenyuk
Lehkonen-Danault-Byron
Hudon-DLR-Shaw
Deslauriers,

Mete-Weber
Clague-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Reilly-Lernout

I know beggars can't be choosers but would like to see a real first pairing LHD who is a puck mover, to be Weber's partner. I don't think Mete is that first pairing guy, maybe with a lot of further development but not right now. He may never be more than a 2nd pairing guy, who knows. I'd rather try and trade for one or draft one.

I'd like your thoughts on Bjugstad and why you believe it's worth having him as a 2nd line C. I'm not sold, he's brittle and his numbers are underwhelming. Now, no qualms about the price to land him, if we can get him for the deal you propose, it's all right. I'd see him as a third line C but we already have Danault there. And Alzner -- same as my previous post, send him down to the AHL, he's out of his element. It's a mistake contract, there is no need to keep him around.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't mind if they did this again...except this time, they act as a dumping ground for teams who are trying to compete now AND shed salary quickly.

Again, I know i'm going on and on about this, but Vegas got a William Karlsson + 1st + 2nd just to eat David Clarkson's contract & promise not to touch another CBJ player in the expansion draft.

Habs should be in full out asset-hoarding mode...

Sure, good idea. When you have no organizational depth but a lot of cap room, then take on a toxic contract and all the high upside true value assets you can get.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
- Kempe contract should be pretty simple, it shouldn't have much an impact on the overall cap for the team.
- Good question regarding Scherbak...kinda forgot about him, is he waiver eligible? Can be be sent down next offseason without going through waivers? If so, that's where he goes...if not, i'd consider moving him for a similarily-positioned left handed Dman prospect on another team
- Schlemko/Benn...waivers, bought out, whatever...small details

Yes, Scherbak is waiver eligible. You can bet your bottom dollar they won't take the chance of exposing him to waivers.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
The one idiot Eklund said the other idiot Bergevin is one of the two teams with Buffalo going after Jack johnson he is horrible that is all Montreal needs is another D-man who does not put up points and will be 32 in January.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he can avoid to do as much damage he did this past-summer, it's gonna be a win.
What a mind-blowing ****ing disaster it was.

Imagine how for a lot of us, the best-case scenario for the Habs, involves disaster-avoidance rather than seeing some fair market values deals go through for us. Just breaking out even on trades looks like a win right now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know beggars can't be choosers but would like to see a real first pairing LHD who is a puck mover, to be Weber's partner. I don't think Mete is that first pairing guy, maybe with a lot of further development but not right now. He may never be more than a 2nd pairing guy, who knows. I'd rather try and trade for one or draft one.
Agreed...I just think it's going to be difficult to address ALL of our issues in one offseason.

This was more of a first stab at what an offseason might look like from my point of view...far from perfect or ideal, I know.

I'd like your thoughts on Bjugstad and why you believe it's worth having him as a 2nd line C. I'm not sold, he's brittle and his numbers are underwhelming. Now, no qualms about the price to land him, if we can get him for the deal you propose, it's all right. I'd see him as a third line C but we already have Danault there. And Alzner -- same as my previous post, send him down to the AHL, he's out of his element. It's a mistake contract, there is no need to keep him around.
I know Bjugstad is not thought of very highly here, but i've always been a fan...he's struggled with injuries and inconsistency, but that's the kind of player I think the Habs are going to have to target in the hopes that a change of scenery reinvigorates them.

I think Bjugstad is a good candidate for that...i'd like to see some more size down the middle, a right handed shot down the middle, he addresses this criteria.

I'm also partial to Charlie Coyle as a target as well, but I suspect it might be more difficult to pry him away from Minny.

As for Alzner, i'm on board with you...but I think you give him another year in this system to see if the switch to a zone scheme is something he's gotten more comfortable with, not that I ever think this signing will ever be worth it...we can try to salvage it somewhat.

Worst case, you send him down next year and it's less of a hit.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just to reinforce the point about Scherbak being waiver eligible this year, I'll reprise a post by Mod Montreal from another thread. Both he and Agalloch provided a source. Here's Mod Montreal's take:

For waivers everyone needs to clear except,

Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Evans, Bitten, Vejdemo, Pezzetta, Addison, Audette, Alain, Bourque, Fucale, Juulsen, Lindgren, McNiven, Mete, Waked, Verbeek.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The one idiot Eklund said the other idiot Bergevin is one of the two teams with Buffalo going after Jack johnson he is horrible that is all Montreal needs is another D-man who does not put up points and will be 32 in January.

well the man got Alzner....should we really be that shocked if he got johnson?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As for Alzner, i'm on board with you...but I think you give him another year in this system to see if the switch to a zone scheme is something he's gotten more comfortable with, not that I ever think this signing will ever be worth it...we can try to salvage it somewhat.

Worst case, you send him down next year and it's less of a hit.

Fair enough, if you believe we should give Alzner another chance. However, it won't be as a third pairing D, as you suggest. You just know he'll be used as a second pairing. I much prefer where you have him playing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure, good idea. When you have no organizational depth but a lot of cap room, then take on a toxic contract and all the high upside true value assets you can get.
Exactly...this process doesn't HAVE to be a long and painful one.

I look at the Boston Bruins who a few years ago were in a similar situation to the Habs...there GM came in, made some unpopular moves for players but he accumulated assets in terms of draft picks and rebuilt their organizational depth. It ended up paying off sooner than i think even they anticipated.

The Habs have a bunch of top 100 picks, cap space, a player with value whose available (Pacioretty)...another who needs a new deal (Byron).

This doesn't have to be a long and painful process, it will take some creativity and some boldness...

But those are 2 characteristics I wouldn't attribute to the man in charge, but I hope i'm wrong.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fair enough, if you believe we should give Alzner another chance. However, it won't be as a third pairing D, as you suggest. You just know he'll be used as a second pairing. I much prefer where you have him playing.
I think that's where he ended last year...playing with Juulsen, though because of injuries it's hard to say as neither Mete nor Weber were available.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Exactly...this process doesn't HAVE to be a long and painful one.

I look at the Boston Bruins who a few years ago were in a similar situation to the Habs...there GM came in, made some unpopular moves for players but he accumulated assets in terms of draft picks and rebuilt their organizational depth. It ended up paying off sooner than i think even they anticipated.

The Habs have a bunch of top 100 picks, cap space, a player with value whose available (Pacioretty)...another who needs a new deal (Byron).

This doesn't have to be a long and painful process, it will take some creativity and some boldness...

But those are 2 characteristics I wouldn't attribute to the man in charge, but I hope i'm wrong.

You're not wrong. It's a tool that is readily available and that a smart GM should be on the lookout for. Not all toxic assets are created equal so shop them and choose someone with relatively short term pain, maybe with a max of two years of contractual toxicity. Profit.

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think that's where he ended last year...playing with Juulsen, though because of injuries it's hard to say as neither Mete nor Weber were available.

I'd say you can't change the stripes of a zebra any more than we can change the HC's preconceived ideas and tendencies. In the end, he's a veteran player coach, old school. What are the odds he demotes Alzner to a third line in favor of a younger player with speed and more attuned to the way the game is played now? This is where it takes a forward-looking GM to remove these kind of assets from a coach who doesn't know better than to place excessive reliance on them. And then ultimately, hope to soon remove the HC who turned the whole thing into a dinosaur act.

Reactions: bsl and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad