What is Your Guess of a Bergevin "Re-Tool"?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Exactly...this process doesn't HAVE to be a long and painful one.

I look at the Boston Bruins who a few years ago were in a similar situation to the Habs...there GM came in, made some unpopular moves for players but he accumulated assets in terms of draft picks and rebuilt their organizational depth. It ended up paying off sooner than i think even they anticipated.

The Habs have a bunch of top 100 picks, cap space, a player with value whose available (Pacioretty)...another who needs a new deal (Byron).

This doesn't have to be a long and painful process, it will take some creativity and some boldness...

But those are 2 characteristics I wouldn't attribute to the man in charge, but I hope i'm wrong.

I think Bergevin will be bold if his back is up against a wall, I’m more worried about what he’ll do if he is feeling threatened. The roster is a mess right now, but there’s still ways for it get worse and there’s nothing scarier then a nervous soldier with a loaded gun.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Bergevin will be bold if his back is up against a wall, I’m more worried about what he’ll do if he is feeling threatened. The roster is a mess right now, but there’s still ways for it get worse and there’s nothing scarier then a nervous soldier with a loaded gun.

Yeah, there's a lot of that at play. You have a dead duck GM on a short leash who won't be around to see most of the moves he makes this summer unless they are for the purposes of a perceived short term window opportunity. That would reek til kingdom come.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Unless we get Tavares, there is nothing on the UFAs market that can help the team much. Bergevin will most likely have to make a big trade and it's scary. We have 8 picks in the top 100, I really hope we don't touch any of them.

Reactions: bsl and nhlfan9191

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You're not wrong. It's a tool that is readily available and that a smart GM should be on the lookout for. Not all toxic assets are created equal so shop them and choose someone with relatively short term pain, maybe with a max of two years of contractual toxicity. Profit.
I know the following player doesn't fit the template you just provided...but as GM i'd nudge the team down the 417 whose owner is broke and is facing HUGE pressure to re-sign their superstar.

They've got Bobby Ryan signed at 7.5M/yr for another 4yrs...might be worth it to ask them what it would be worth to them to eat that contract.

Then again...maybe that's too big a hit to take.

Point being though, all options need to be explored.

Reactions: Miller Time

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Unless we get Tavares, there is nothing on the UFAs market that can help the team much. Bergevin will most likely have to make a big trade and it's scary. We have 8 picks in the top 100, I really hope we don't touch any of them.

The one positive is we have some new voices beside him that “should” help. Hopefully Molson is watching closely as well. I don’t believe Bergevin’s leash is as short as some people may think, but I do think he’s being monitored.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The one positive is we have some new voices beside him that “should” help. Hopefully Molson is watching closely as well. I don’t believe Bergevin’s leash is as short as some people may think, but I do think he’s being monitored.
I hope you are right................this GM is heading into his 7th year, and really has done very little good, and a whole lot of questionable moves............guess we have to hold out for a miracle?

Reactions: nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I hope you are right................this GM is heading into his 7th year, and really has done very little good, and a whole lot of questionable moves............guess we have to hold out for a miracle?

I guess we can hope he’s a lot better at improving a basement team then he is at putting a the final touches on a team that could possibly contend. He hasn’t had a lot of great picks outside of his first year so maybe there’s so hope there? I don’t have any faith left in the guy but we don’t have much of a choice at this point but to sit back and watch.

Same here...I think he's firmly entrenched.

If he had a couple of years left on his contract, I think he’d be gone. Considering he has 4, it increases his leash IMO. I don’t think Molson wants to spend the money to buy him out on top of he still likely has some belief left in him.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Trade Patches and our 1st for a veteran 2C/borderline-lower-tier-1C.
Trade some of our 2nd picks for a veteran used-to-be-2C 3C.
Tap himself on the shoulder for job well done and call it a day.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's hard to evaluate keeping Patch or trading him cause we don't know what actual offers we are getting for him. I am not in favor for trading him for cheap though. A fair deal to me is a solid 1st round pick in the 2018 draft and good grade B prospect. That is my bench mark (the lowest return I trade Patch for). Otherwise, I entertain re-signing him. He had a rough season last year and is not trending well. So I think we would be able to get him signed for 5 years (ish) at $6.5m (max)

I agree, his year end exit interview with the media had him stating that what counted for him was where he would be playing, not how much he would be making. Pretty certain that Pacioretty is ripe for a home town discount on a 5 or 6 year deal, provided he gets an offer in the offseason.

If MON can't get fair value for Pacioretty, I would entertain the idea of keeping him and moving Galchenyuk instead. I'm still not sold on Galchenyuk wanting to re-sign with MON when his contract is over in just two years. We do know that Pacioretty wants to play here. We just need to make sure he isn't the go-to guy on offense and he will thrive in that role, IMHO.

MON needs help at C, period. LW depth for the top-9 should be (if Patches remains and Chucky is traded) Drouin, Pacioretty, Hudon, with a scoring RW to play with Drouin (may be early for Zadina, but an eventual fit, so Gallagher to start), a playmaking RW with Pacioretty (Scherbak fits the bill as one of our better playmakers, period) and a two-way RW for the third line (Zadina at first and Gallagher afterwards).

MON won't have elite depth at C any time soon, so getting three balanced lines and a solid fourth line should enable the head coach to roll out for lines, with the top three lines (including Gallagher in an eventual 3rd line role -- the heresy, I know) getting comparable ice time and appropriate match-ups against opponents' lines.

I could see a trade of Galchenyuk, Weber and Lehkonen with FLA for Matheson, Borgström and the 15th pick. FLA won't be hurting at C with the young talent and depth already present on their team at the position and the GM did say that their priority was acquiring a top-4 D on the right side to play with Yandle because they were giving up too many goals. I'd even throw in the 66th pick if necessary

With MON then signing a Stasny for 4 years at 7M (I like the term and we can afford the Cap hit), after signing Pacioretty for 5 years at 6.5M and Danault for 6 years at 3.5M, the lineup could look something like:

Drouin - Stasny - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Borgström - Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Zadina
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Matheson - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Mete - Benn

I'd concentrate on picking Ds with our 2nd rounders, maybe trying to upgrade from the 15th pick (throwing in one of the 2nd rounders) to land a C (maybe Kotkaniemi, Hayton or Veleno) or a D like Bouchard, depending on how far he slips. There are enough quality Ds, as well, to land in the 2nd round, IMHO.

In the third year of the Stasny contract, I'd hope to see:

Drouin - Borgström - Zadina
Pacioretty - Poehling - Scherbak
Hudon - Stasny - Gallagher
Danault - Evans - Shaw

Matheson - Bouchard
Mete/MacIssac?/Alexeyev?/K'Andre Miller? - Brook
MacIssac?/Alexeyev?/K'Andre Miller?/Mete - Juulsen

In the last year of the Stasny contract, I'd either use him for a playoff push, or trade him at the deadline for futures, depending on players acquired at LW over time. Danault can easily replace him at C on the third line.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I guess we can hope he’s a lot better at improving a basement team then he is at putting a the final touches on a team that could possibly contend. He hasn’t had a lot of great picks outside of his first year so maybe there’s so hope there? I don’t have any faith left in the guy but we don’t have much of a choice at this point but to sit back and watch.

If he had a couple of years left on his contract, I think he’d be gone. Considering he has 4, it increases his leash IMO. I don’t think Molson wants to spend the money to buy him out on top of he still likely has some belief left in him.
I think stability, even in contrast to stupidity, is something that's been a constant under this current administration

And i don't anticipate that will change.

Yes there were some changes this year, but i'm not all that convinced it was anything more than window dressing.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think stability, even in contrast to stupidity, is something that's been a constant under this current administration

And i don't anticipate that will change.

Yes there were some changes this year, but i'm not all that convinced it was anything more than window dressing.

Hopefully, you are wrong.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If they can get Hanifin for Galchenyuk, that would be a coup. I doubt the Canes do it.

Very VERY doubtful. Wingers for defence doesn’t happen often unless you’re Marc willing to get bent over based on heritage. But if we can make a package worthwhile with Galchenyuk as the Center piece, then maybe there’s a chance. But honestly what do we have tradechip wise that wouldn’t just hurt us more to add on top of him. Carolina wouldn’t be looking for picks on a player like Hanifin.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Brock Nelson hasn’t played centre very much at all
Another experiment
He does play centre, he's been a #3 C behind Tavares, Nielsen and Barzal. Nelson has 3 seasons of 20+ goals and 40+ points playing 3rd line minutes. Give him a legit shot at top 6 minutes.

Bjugstad is a player that hasn't played at C the last 2 seasons .

Reactions: Runner77

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He does play centre, he's been a #3 C behind Tavares, Nielsen and Barzal. Nelson has 3 seasons of 20+ goals and 40+ points playing 3rd line minutes. Give him a legit shot at top 6 minutes.

Bjugstad is a player that hasn't played at C the last 2 seasons .
He plays the wing a lot as well. He’s nkt a full time centre
And no we don’t need brock Nelson
We need a legit number 1 Centre.
What would be the point of Nelson?
We would go no where with him You either acquire a legit 1 Centre or blow it up.
Patch job after patch job are why the Habs haven’t sniffed a cup in 25 years
Edit this
I got him confused with Anders Lee
Still don’t want Nelson He’s not the answer. Drouin would still be number one or would it be Danault.
Either way. No

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Arpon Basu is throwing Elias Lindholm as an option...
Might as well get him. He’d for In perfectly with our less than mediocre centres
He would rocket the hand offence from 29th to 28th
Just f***ing rebuild already. This team is 3-4 pieces away and 2 of them are a legit #1 and 2 centre
It’s not happening

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
He plays the wing a lot as well. He’s nkt a full time centre
And no we don’t need brock Nelson
We need a legit number 1 Centre.
What would be the point of Nelson?
We would go no where with him You either acquire a legit 1 Centre or blow it up.
Patch job after patch job are why the Habs haven’t sniffed a cup in 25 years
Edit this
I got him confused with Anders Lee
Still don’t want Nelson He’s not the answer. Drouin would still be number one or would it be Danault.
Either way. No
You sign him to a 3 years contact, play him top 6 minutes, his production increases, his value raises and you get a good return at the deadline when he's to become UFA.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why is Bergevin a tool? Why? Are you really asking this? Oh wait....I read the title wrong....sorry....:D

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Bergevin's Retool for Dummies

Step 1: Draft Tkatchuk, injecting all that bloodline, attitude and character to the prospect pool.
Step 2: Trade Galchenyuk for whatever 3rd line winger of the team that wins this year's Stanley Cup.
Step 3: Sign Jack Johnson to a multi-million multi-year deal, believing the man isn't finished and can be this team's #1 LD.
Step 4: Re-sign Plekanec to fill this team's 2C role.
Step 5: Give an offer to Tavares and fail to get him.
Step 6: Miss the playoffs (20-18-2019).
Step 7: Draft a Center in the 2019 Draft.
Step 8: Convert said Center to a winger.
Step 9: ???
Step 10: Profit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad