What is Your Guess of a Bergevin "Re-Tool"?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Set aside what you want us to do... What is your guess at a Bergevin "re-tool"? Mine is as follows. Posted this in another thread and thought it would be interesting to see what others think Bergevin will do this summer

- Drafts Zadina and he plays on our roster at the age of 18/19
- He keeps Patch and re-signs him. 5 year deal at $6.5M
- Signs Stastny to a 4 year deal at $7M
- Signs Pleky to a 1 year deal at $3M
- Re-Signs Danault to a 6 year deal at $3.5M
- Re-Signs DLR to a 2 year deal at $1M
- Trades Galchenyuk, Byron, Schlemko for Hanifin and a grade B prospect.

Drouin / Stastny / Zadina
Patch / Danault / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

Still about $5M in cap space believe it or not. Do I like it? Meh, it's better than last year's roster I guess. Possible 1st round or 2nd round playoff exit.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Set aside what you want us to do... What is your guess at a Bergevin "re-tool"? Mine is as follows. Posted this in another thread and thought it would be interesting to see what others think Bergevin will do this summer

Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

Still about $5M in cap space believe it or not. Do I like it? Meh, it's better than last year's roster I guess. Possible 1st round or 2nd round playoff exit.
I think he trades Patches for a pick in this draft. Keeps Galchenyuk. Hanifin too big a fish for Bergs to acquire. Rest of it I can see happening

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he trades Patches for a pick in this draft. Keeps Galchenyuk. Hanifin too big a fish for Bergs to acquire. Rest of it I can see happening

You think Patch gets traded and I hope so too. But do you think Bergevin trades him? It's no secrete Bergevin has set the bar high so I can see him keeping him if he don't get the return he wants.

As far as Hanifin... I am not sure. I can see a Galchenyuk + for Hanifin deal being fair value and I can also see Bergevin making this kind of trade... if the Canes are even interested in trading Hanifin

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

That would be just terrible. I won't even tune in to watch if the above happens.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

The Statsny, Pleks and Danault contract, as well as the Hanafin trade are such awful, awful moves that I can absolutely see Bergevin doing exactly this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Statsny, Pleks and Danault contract, as well as the Hanafin trade are such awful, awful moves that I can absolutely see Bergevin doing exactly this.

That's the point. I think it's interesting to engage on what his re-tool looks like. It's not really about you or I want to do. It's about what we think Bergevin will do cause we are not the GM

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You think Patch gets traded and I hope so too. But do you think Bergevin trades him? It's no secrete Bergevin has set the bar high so I can see him keeping him if he don't get the return he wants.

As far as Hanifin... I am not sure. I can see a Galchenyuk + for Hanifin deal being fair value and I can also see Bergevin making this kind of trade... if the Canes are even interested in trading Hanifin
I didn't want to sign Patches because Kane got 7x7, Patches will get same or more. And he lacks character. Don't want to go in that direction. If he gets Hanifin, the 3rd overall likely involved. We can get more but not sure how it will go

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be just terrible. I won't even tune in to watch if the above happens.

Come on... yes you would. Did you watch last season? No matter what we do, I will always watch the games and make the trip to Montreal to see a few games live every year. It's in my blood. Can't help it

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Come on... yes you would. Did you watch last season? No matter what we do, I will always watch the games and make the trip to Montreal to see a few games live every year. It's in my blood. Can't help it

Truth be told that I did watch in between sets and breaks during my workouts at the gym. Well nothing else was playing on the TV screens on game days.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I didn't want to sign Patches because Kane got 7x7, Patches will get same or more. And he lacks character. Don't want to go in that direction. If he gets Hanifin, the 3rd overall likely involved. We can get more but not sure how it will go

It's hard to evaluate keeping Patch or trading him cause we don't know what actual offers we are getting for him. I am not in favor for trading him for cheap though. A fair deal to me is a solid 1st round pick in the 2018 draft and good grade B prospect. That is my bench mark (the lowest return I trade Patch for). Otherwise, I entertain re-signing him. He had a rough season last year and is not trending well. So I think we would be able to get him signed for 5 years (ish) at $6.5m (max)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
- Drafts Zadina
- Trade Pacioretty to Kings for Adrian Kempe + Kyle Clague + conditional 2nd round pick (becomes 1st if he re-signs with Kings)
- Acquire Nick Bjugstad for a one of our 2nd round picks in 2018 + Michael McCarron (+whatever filler is required)
- Re-sign Danault
- Re-sign DLR

Drouin-Kempe-Gallagher
Zadina-Bjugstad-Galchenyuk
Lehkonen-Danault-Byron
Hudon-DLR-Shaw
Deslauriers,

Mete-Weber
Clague-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Reilly-Lernout

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Truth be told that I did watch in between sets and breaks during my workouts at the gym. Well nothing else was playing on the TV screens on game days.

I have a hard time missing games... always was that way since 1986. I can get upset just like any other Habs fan but I will never be a disgruntled fan cause our GM is struggling. Just my style

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Drafts Zadina
- Trade Pacioretty to Kings for Adrian Kempe + Kyle Clague + conditional 2nd round pick (becomes 1st if he re-signs with Kings)
- Acquire Nick Bjugstad for a one of our 2nd round picks in 2018 + Michael McCarron (+whatever filler is required)
- Re-sign Danault
- Re-sign DLR

Drouin-Kempe-Gallagher
Zadina-Bjugstad-Galchenyuk
Lehkonen-Danault-Byron
Hudon-DLR-Shaw
Deslauriers,

Mete-Weber
Clague-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Reilly-Lernout

- What are you signing Kempe for as a RFA?
- Where is Scherbak?
- You offloading Schlemko and Benn for a bag of pucks type deal?

According to my calculations, you have roughly $13M in cap space (not including Benn and Schlemko). And no contract AAV for Kempe yet. Danault around $3.5M and DLR around $1M

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
- What are you signing Kempe for as a RFA?
- Where is Scherbak?
- You offloading Schlemko and Benn for a bag of pucks type deal?

According to my calculations, you have roughly $13M in cap space (not including Benn and Schlemko). And no contract AAV for Kempe yet. Danault around $3.5M and DLR around $1M
- Kempe contract should be pretty simple, it shouldn't have much an impact on the overall cap for the team.
- Good question regarding Scherbak...kinda forgot about him, is he waiver eligible? Can be be sent down next offseason without going through waivers? If so, that's where he goes...if not, i'd consider moving him for a similarily-positioned left handed Dman prospect on another team
- Schlemko/Benn...waivers, bought out, whatever...small details

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have a hard time missing games... always was that way since 1986. I can get upset just like any other Habs fan but I will never be a disgruntled fan cause our GM is struggling. Just my style

I think I watched maybe 10 full games last year. I have much better things to do with my time than just sit there and watch a crappy team play boring hockey and get embarrassed over and over again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think I watched maybe 10 full games last year. I have much better things to do with my time than just sit there and watch a crappy team play boring hockey and get embarrassed over and over again.

You missed out on good a development year from Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, DLR, Hudon. I choose to look at the future. Interested to see how these guys get better next year and a more mature Galchenyuk & Drouin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Kempe contract should be pretty simple, it shouldn't have much an impact on the overall cap for the team.
- Good question regarding Scherbak...kinda forgot about him, is he waiver eligible? Can be be sent down next offseason without going through waivers? If so, that's where he goes...if not, i'd consider moving him for a similarily-positioned left handed Dman prospect on another team
- Schlemko/Benn...waivers, bought out, whatever...small details

Cool. Imagine more cap space next year vs last year :sarcasm:. Anybody know if Scherbak is waiver exempt next year? I'm not sure

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

I have access to tickets for every game, and after the first month of last season I stopped attending the games. They were unbearable to watch. It's not even about the wins and losses, they are just brutal to watch, boring. It's not worth spending a dime. Molson needs a wake up call.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have access to tickets for every game, and after the first month of last season I stopped attending the games. They were unbearable to watch. It's not even about the wins and losses, they are just brutal to watch, boring. It's not worth spending a dime. Molson needs a wake up call.

As with how bad the Leafs were for 10 years, people will still go to the games and watch our Habs. It's your prerogative to do what you want to do as a fan.

I'm ok with roster tinkering as long as we continue to reinforce our prospect pool. That's what really matters based on where we are today. For as bad as last season was, we had some prospects crack our roster and show a bit of promise. Something we have not had for several years prior. Glass is half full, not half empty ;)

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
As with how bad the Leafs were for 10 years, people will still go to the games and watch our Habs. It's your prerogative to do what you want to do as a fan.

I'm ok with roster tinkering as long as we continue to reinforce our prospect pool. That's what really matters based on where we are today. For as bad as last season was, we had some prospects crack our roster and show a bit of promise. Something we have not had for several years prior. Glass is half full, not half empty ;)

I understand what you are trying to say but if the product is bad and the entertainment is just as brutal, why should I make my way to the Bell Centre and spend additional money for?

Molson and Bergevin have met the media since the end of the season and I still don't know which direction this club is heading? All I know is that the food will be (supposedly) be better. I don't even think they even know what direction this club is heading.

But yes, coming back to your original question, your proposal is something I see Bergevin attempting to do this offseason which will be sad in my books.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's the point. I think it's interesting to engage on what his re-tool looks like. It's not really about you or I want to do. It's about what we think Bergevin will do cause we are not the GM

I tried to do that last year, when my original plan was to rebuild. Then Alzner happened and we rebuilt.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I tried to do that last year, when my original plan was to rebuild. Then Alzner happened and we rebuilt.

I'm very curious to see what his version of a "re-tool" looks like after this summer. Nervous actually but as long as he don't sacrifice the future, it don't affect our rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->