What if we get Dahlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If we got Dahlin , after a season of mentoring with Weber we could look at trading Weber and getting pretty good value back. Just an option, as I would think that would be a great pairing, but it depends on whether we are contenders or not given Webers age. Other moves obviously would have to be made to get us to that status. Like a freakin centre.

Reactions: Spooky Actions

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I just think that having a generational talent on the back end is a luxury, and a luxury when youre lacking talent like the habs, you cant afford. You dont NEED to have a ultimate superstar on the back end to win a cup, but you need special talent in your forward group, look at all the past cup champs. If Dahlin can get us Drasaitl, a big young 1c PPg player+ a very solid young dman like Nurse, we should think hard about it.

I believe you forget about BPA. What if in 2005, we’ve picked Brûlé instead of Price? Dahlin has the highest potential to impact the game than any of your mentioned players. My point is forget about our team right now. A team that lacks offensive talent and superstar offense player. Think of this like you get Dahlin, who’s the most talented defensive prospect to come into the NHL since forever, and in 5-6 years, your team would have address the missing offensive superstar as well. Maybe not this summer, not this year but think of it in 5-6 years. We never know how we will acquire our franchise forward, but we will. And we will have our franchise defenseman as well. I would always welcome a Lidstrom type of player any day of the week. You win Championships and Cups with Lidstrom and Niedermayer type of players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I just think that having a generational talent on the back end is a luxury, and a luxury when youre lacking talent like the habs, you cant afford. You dont NEED to have a ultimate superstar on the back end to win a cup, but you need special talent in your forward group, look at all the past cup champs. If Dahlin can get us Drasaitl, a big young 1c PPg player+ a very solid young dman like Nurse, we should think hard about it.

This way of thinking should die a painful death. You had to be physical and imposing when LA was winning, until you suddenly didn't need to be that at all. You don't get ahead by building a team to win the cup in previous seasons.

But for the record, the only team that didn't have an active, elite D man that moved the puck very well to win the cup in the last 10 years was Pittsburgh last season. Letang played a massive role the year before. Keith was vital to the Blackhawks. So was Doughty to the Kings. Boston doesn't win without Chara in his prime. Detroit doesn't win without Lidstrom.

Weber is a really good D-man, but he isn't at that elite D-man level anymore.

And I'm not sure Montreal's in a position to get two top-5 centers in the NHL on their roster like Pittsburgh has.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I believe you forget about BPA. What if in 2005, we’ve picked Brûlé instead of Price? Dahlin has the highest potential to impact the game than any of your mentioned players. My point is forget about our team right now. A team that lacks offensive talent and superstar offense player. Think of this like you get Dahlin, who’s the most talented defensive prospect to come into the NHL since forever, in 5-6 years, and your team would have address the missing offensive superstar as well. Maybe not this summer, not this year but think of it in 5-6 years. We never know how we will acquire our franchise forward, but we will. And we will have our franchise defenseman as well. I would always welcome a Lidstrom type of player any day of the week. You win Championships and Cups with Lidstrom and Niedermayer type of players.

I have been waiting for that big young 1st line Center for 25 years now, they dont grow on tree!! With no top 5 picks in the next upcoming years and without the chips to acquire one via trade, i just dont see how we're gonna get one!! We're not gonna win a cup with Danault as our 1st line center, even if we got Dahlin on the back end.

Last edited:

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
This way of thinking should die a painful death. You had to be physical and imposing when LA was winning, until you suddenly didn't need to be that at all. You don't get ahead by building a team to win the cup in previous seasons.

But for the record, the only team that didn't have an active, elite D man that moved the puck very well to win the cup in the last 10 years was Pittsburgh last season. Letang played a massive role the year before. Keith was vital to the Blackhawks. So was Doughty to the Kings. Boston doesn't win without Chara in his prime. Detroit doesn't win without Lidstrom.

And I'm not sure Montreal's in a position to get two top-5 centers in the NHL on their roster like Pittsburgh has.

I get that its preferable to have an Elite d-man on the back end, but we need to fix the C-Line, the joke as to stop somewhere!! No Elite 1 line Center, no cup contender, even with Dahlin. Lets say we get Dahlin and we keep him, how do you think you're gonna get that 1C??

Reactions: PaulD

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I get that its preferable to have an Elite d-man on the back end, but we need to fix the C-Line, the joke as to stop somewhere!! No Elite 1 line Center, no cup contender, even with Dahlin. Lets say we get Dahlin and we keep him, how do you think you're gonna get that 1C??

I don't disagree, but trading Dahlin isn't the only way to fix the C group. And no high-end PMD, no cup contender, even if you trade Dahlin for Crosby. Just because the C issue has been longer standing, doesn't mean the D issue is less of an issue. Its just one Bergevin created instead of inherited.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

I understand your point on having a franchise centerman. We haven’t had any since forever. They don’t grow on trees. But I would never allow a team like Edmonton to get Dahlin because he’s exactly what they are missing. They don’t need Draisaitl as much as they need a player like Dahlin because they already have McDavid. So for me, I wouldn’t trade Dahlin for Draisaitl. I don’t think Draisaitl is on the same level as Matthews or McDavid and that’s what I would want in a Franchise centerman. Don’t get me wrong, I love Draisaitl but not giving up Dahlin to the Oilers.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I don't disagree, but trading Dahlin isn't the only way to fix the C group. And no high-end PMD, no cup contender, even if you trade Dahlin for Crosby. Just because the C issue has been longer standing, doesn't mean the D issue is less of an issue. Its just one Bergevin created instead of inherited.

Well, lets say you got Nurse and Draisaitl like i was suggesting earlier, you dont think that a d-core of: Weber-Nurse Mete-Petry ???-Juulsen is good enough to win a cup with an Elite goaltender and good balance forward group?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
MB won't be fired for a while if they win Dahlin TBH. He has zero to do with winning it, but that's what happens with this stuff. Chiarelli would've been fired by now if McDavid wasn't an oiler.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

You need a stud on D and a stud at center (with depth at center) and an elite goaltender. Without all three you don't get a sniff at Lord Stanley.

Last 20 cup winners had all three. (exception being 017 Pens. Who lost their stud D to injury but still had all three in their plan to win)

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You need a stud on D and a stud at center (with depth at center) and an elite goaltender. Without all three you don't get a sniff at Lord Stanley.

Last 20 cup winners had all three. (exception being 017 Pens. Who lost their stud D to injury but still had all three in their plan to win)

Agreed. Definitely need that horse on defence and an elite center. Real ones also... not just a default #1 center and defenceman because the team is terrible. Drouin is our #1C, but we all know he isn't really one.

While a cup winner needs goaltending, I think it's more important to have a hot goaltender than a franchise-level or elite one. Don't get me wrong, unlikely you'll win a cup with Crosby and company with Hammond as your goalie, but I think the Hawks are a good example. I don't consider Crawford elite. Very good and capable, but he elevated in the playoffs when it mattered.

But to your point, you need all 3 (#1 center, defensive stud and great goaltending) to have a shot at the cup.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I understand your point on having a franchise centerman. We haven’t had any since forever. They don’t grow on trees. But I would never allow a team like Edmonton to get Dahlin because he’s exactly what they are missing. They don’t need Draisaitl as much as they need a player like Dahlin because they already have McDavid. So for me, I wouldn’t trade Dahlin for Draisaitl. I don’t think Draisaitl is on the same level as Matthews or McDavid and that’s what I would want in a Franchise centerman. Don’t get me wrong, I love Draisaitl but not giving up Dahlin to the Oilers.

You would really care that much about improving a non playoff team from the west?? Drasaitl is not on Mcadavid's level, but he might be the only top 10-12 Center in the league available.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Well, lets say you got Nurse and Draisaitl like i was suggesting earlier, you dont think that a d-core of: Weber-Nurse Mete-Petry ???-Juulsen is good enough to win a cup with an Elite goaltender and good balance forward group?

Definitely not.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

I really like the model of Anaheim D-core, you dont think that a d-core like the one they use to have of: Lindholm-Fowler Vaatanen-Manson Montour-Theodore would be good enough to win a Stanley Cup if you have the elite goaltending and great C-line, even if its build without an Elite d-man??

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You would really care that much about improving a non playoff team from the west?? Drasaitl is not on Mcadavid's level, but he might be the only top 10-12 Center in the league available.

I like Dr Drai, but he still hasn't proven he can Center his own line on a game in, game out basis which makes me a little hesitant on him.

In terms of Dahlin, if we did win the draft, you take him and keep him

Jul 6, 2016
I really like the model of Anaheim D-core, you dont think that a d-core like the one they use to have of: Lindholm-Fowler Vaatanen-Manson Montour-Theodore would be good enough to win a Stanley Cup if you have the elite goaltending and great C-line, even if its build without an Elite d-man??

"use to have".... not anymore.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Not sure if you're making the argument that we do or don't need an elite #1 D to win a cup.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I like Dr Drai, but he still hasn't proven he can Center his own line on a game in, game out basis which makes me a little hesitant on him.

In terms of Dahlin, if we did win the draft, you take him and keep him

Dahlin is basically almost untouchable. Let's entertain the idea we win the lottery and get #1. Looking at the now: We have no #1 LHD and we don't have anyone really that projects to be a #1 LHD for this season.

Looking into the future: I think we got second-pairing prospects at LHD, but no #1. When Weber declines, or if traded, we will have no #1D period, be it left or right.

Yeah, I get it, we need a stud #1 center but given how young our team is now, and how half our cap is tied up with 4 defencemen and a goaltender, trading Dahlin for a late 20-something/early-30 center makes no sense to me.

It will NEVER happen, but unless Matthews or McDavid are offered, I'm keeping Dahlin.

Jul 6, 2016
Dahlin is basically almost untouchable. Let's entertain the idea we win the lottery and get #1. Looking at the now: We have no #1 LHD and we don't have anyone really that projects to be a #1 LHD for this season.

Looking into the future: I think we got second-pairing prospects at LHD, but no #1. When Weber declines, or if traded, we will have no #1D period, be it left or right.

Yeah, I get it, we need a stud #1 center but given how young our team is now, and how half our cap is tied up with 4 defencemen and a goaltender, trading Dahlin for a late 20-something/early-30 center makes no sense to me.

It will NEVER happen, but unless Matthews or McDavid are offered, I'm keeping Dahlin.

Agrre. If they have the chance to draft 1st overall, they MUST keep Dahlin. They have no better alternatives on their blueline.

If Habs would still have Subban and Sergachev (no Playoffs garanteed last season) , I would entertain the idea of trading him for a guy like Drai + Edmonton 1st rounder.

They need to get center(s)... ROR and Tavares are great options.

Reactions: sandviper

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Not sure if you're making the argument that we do or don't need an elite #1 D to win a cup.

I'm making two points. One is that you shouldn't try to build a cup contender based on how the league was in the past. That's how you overpay for guys like Shaw.

The other is that the premise that previous cup winners didn't need elite D-men is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad