What if we get Dahlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A puck moving defenseman will be a big part of our future. Because game is evolving towards them as they create more offense than any other position. I like Boqvist also. Either one would be an ace for the organization

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Brady Tkachuk is a really good player. I won’t be surprised if he goes #2 overall. He’s probably the most complete player of the 3 wingers Zadina Svechnikov and Tkachuk.

Zadina is a true sniper. High end NHL shot. In the same mode as Ehlers, Drouin, Meier.

Svechnikov drives the play and is both equally talent playmaker as he is scorer. In the same mode as Radulov, Carter, Scheifele.

Tkachuk is a physical offensive power forward with speed. In the same mode as Keith Tkachuk, Nash, Perry.

I would rank

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Tkachuk
4. Zadina

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Brady Tkachuk is a really good player. I won’t be surprised if he goes #2 overall. He’s probably the most complete player of the 3 wingers Zadina Svechnikov and Tkachuk.

Zadina is a true sniper. High end NHL shot. In the same mode as Ehlers, Drouin, Meier.

Svechnikov drives the play and is both equally talent playmaker as he is scorer. In the same mode as Radulov, Carter, Scheifele.

Tkachuk is a physical offensive power forward with speed. In the same mode as Keith Tkachuk, Nash, Perry.

I would rank

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Tkachuk
4. Zadina

Damn, you really have a hard-on on Tkachuk if you think he could go #2, and most complete, nope, not at all, Zadina and Svechnikov both have wayyyyyy better shots. Tkachuk projects more as a complimentary physical winger (which is nice btw, for a team that have drivers, offensive catalysts) than a dynamo like Svechnikov could be.

And some of your comparisons, I don't know, Ehlers and Drouin both are playmakers, and Meier is more of a PF than anything, Zadina ain't nothing alike. And Radulov and Scheifele are more playmakers than scorers, Svechnikov is a true mix of sniper and PF, could be the next 'Kovalchuk' for what we know.

All in all, while I wouldn't be pissed of we draft Tkachuk, I wouldn't be that pleased either, we need a forward with game-breaking potential, not with complimentary potential, Svechnikov, Zadina and I believe Wahlstrom have game-breaking potential, not Tkachuk.

But hey, to each their own.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Lets play the " We get Dahlin game".. Edmonton comes with an offer of Draisaitl + Nurse/Klefbom vs Dahlin and Alzner(cap dump), you do it or not??

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Lets play the " We get Dahlin game".. Edmonton comes with an offer of Draisaitl + Nurse/Klefbom vs Dahlin and Alzner(cap dump), you do it or not??
Personally, not. Dahlin may not be the centre we need but he is a generational talent who can lead us into the future. We probably won't be ready to really compete before Alner's contract is up anyways.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Probably not. Dahlin is a potential/likely franchise changing defenseman. Nurse/Klefbom are not, whether we get Draisaitl along with them or not.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No no no. I'm not trading Dahlin for anything short of McDavid. I don't care how crazy that sounds, we absolutely should not even listen to any offers.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
No no no. I'm not trading Dahlin for anything short of McDavid. I don't care how crazy that sounds, we absolutely should not even listen to any offers.

I just think that having a generational talent on the back end is a luxury, and a luxury when youre lacking talent like the habs, you cant afford. You dont NEED to have a ultimate superstar on the back end to win a cup, but you need special talent in your forward group, look at all the past cup champs. If Dahlin can get us Drasaitl, a big young 1c PPg player+ a very solid young dman like Nurse, we should think hard about it.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There’s no way this roster is middle of the pack unless serious changes are made.

I suppose there’s a good chance Price goes back into god mode, but that’s about the only way it happens.
If Price and Pac bounce back we probably make the playoffs to be honest. Even if they only partially bounce back that's enough to put us in the middle of the pack.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
A puck moving defenseman will be a big part of our future. Because game is evolving towards them as they create more offense than any other position. I like Boqvist also. Either one would be an ace for the organization

Poor Josh Gorges. The ultimate anti-puck moving defenseman/offensive defenseman.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I just think that having a generational talent on the back end is a luxury, and a luxury when youre lacking talent like the habs, you cant afford. You dont NEED to have a ultimate superstar on the back end to win a cup, but you need special talent in your forward group, look at all the past cup champs. If Dahlin can get us Drasaitl, a big young 1c PPg player+ a very solid young dman like Nurse, we should think hard about it.

In one sense I get it. Offensive talent is more desirable than defensive talent. I do get it - I wish this was a number one center draft year too. But you really need to understand Dahlins talent. And like that poster said up the page a bit, this is where the NHL going. Not only do we expect offense from the defense I honestly think that going forward offense is going to be driven by the defense. You really can control the pace more from back there, control the break out, control the powerplay. In the modern NHL there is no problem with a defenseman driving the net or dangling into the slot or even literally playing as a forward deep in the zone for the duration of a pressure shift.

They also play more of the game. People forget this. The top fifty in minutes played is all defenseman.

If you get Dahlin you can have your best player on the ice literally half the game if you want.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This post makes no sense.

Potentially drafting the next Pronger, Lidstrom or Bourque is not a luxury and its certainly not a pick you trade for that kind of return. Its a building block towards actually having a cup winning team.

That the Habs arent potent offensively is irrelevant as well. Dahlin will be 18 next year and likely staying with the team that drafts him for 15 years, giving plenty of opportunity to build an offense.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
In one sense I get it. Offensive talent is more desirable than defensive talent. I do get it - I wish this was a number one center draft year too. But you really need to understand Dahlins talent. And like that poster said up the page a bit, this is where the NHL going. Not only do we expect offense from the defense I honestly think that going forward offense is going to be driven by the defense. You really can control the pace more from back there, control the break out, control the powerplay. In the modern NHL there is no problem with a defenseman driving the net or dangling into the slot or even literally playing as a forward deep in the zone for the duration of a pressure shift.

They also play more of the game. People forget this. The top fifty in minutes played is all defenseman.

If you get Dahlin you can have your best player on the ice literally half the game if you want.

Yeah i agree that in the new nhl, the offense is more and more driven by the back end. But its no secret that you need an amazing center line to win the cup and i really dont see how we're gonna fix that. I would really be comfortable with a top 5 ala Anaheim of Montour-Fowler-Manson -Vaatanen and Lindholm, no Elite, but all great puck movers.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
This post makes no sense.

Potentially drafting the next Pronger, Lidstrom or Bourque is not a luxury and its certainly not a pick you trade for that kind of return. Its a building block towards actually having a cup winning team.

That the Habs arent potent offensively is irrelevant as well. Dahlin will be 18 next year and likely staying with the team that drafts him for 15 years, giving plenty of opportunity to build an offense.

A luxury in the sense that having a generation talent on the back end is not a MUST to win a Stanley cup, but having an Elite no 1c is one. No 1 Center are 95% drafted in top 5, with Carey Price back to his normal play and Weber healthy you probably wont see another top 5 picks anytime soon and sorry but we dont have the trading chips to acquire one via trade so how are you gonna get one??

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hughes is a left handed shot.

Not sure these kids can step in next year and play top line minutes. Except for Dahlin
I'd be shocked if Tkachuk isn't playing in the NHL next season. His brother made the NHL as an 18 year old and was basically a 50 point player.

Brady is by all accounts significantly better, will be a year older, and already has experience playing against grown men. Taking this into account I'd be shocked if he wasn't in the NHL next season.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
A luxury in the sense that having a generation talent on the back end is not a MUST to win a Stanley cup, but having an Elite no 1c is one. No 1 Center are 95% drafted in top 5, with Carey Price back to his normal play and Weber healthy you probably wont see another top 5 picks anytime soon and sorry but we dont have the trading chips to acquire one via trade so how are you gonna get one??
I really hope Price gets traded this summer. For Weber it wont be happening this off season, but its also coming. We need several shots at the top 5 the next few years. Drafting Dahlin wont ne enough that's the reality.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Thought about it. Nope. Your later question is the ultimate question of this thread: we have Dahlin, now what? We do absolutely need an elite center lineup to compete, that I agree with. So here's what we do: we keep tanking.

Reactions: Andrei79

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'd be shocked if Tkachuk isn't playing in the NHL next season. His brother made the NHL as an 18 year old and was basically a 50 point player.

Brady is by all accounts significantly better, will be a year older, and already has experience playing against grown men. Taking this into account I'd be shocked if he wasn't in the NHL next season.

Brady better than Matthew? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad