What if Mario had missed?

Karamahti*

I can understand that some posts make you wanna dismiss the Soviets, but C´mon! Didn´t they prove at least something in the late seventies and early eighties?

Soviets were pretty good 30 years ago.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Soviets were pretty good 30 years ago.

I'm guessing you're not too old are you? They were damn dominant in the 1970ies and 1980ies, right up there with Canada and with everybody else a couple steps behind. But don't take my word for it, go buy a few DVD's.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Karamahti just hates the Soviet Union.

When there are two countries well ahead of the rest and one of them was barred from sending their best, it is not a first tier tournament.

It's the same as saying Russians are inferior because Canadian players on Canadian teams won so many cups.
What cups? The Stanley Cups? The NHL is not an international tournament.
The USSR and Canada were not well ahead of everyone else.
Who was barred from playing? When NHLers were allowed to play Canada still did not win and don't say that they only sent bad teams.

Even though the Challenge Cup is often dismissed here as a merely exhibition series or something, I don´t think there has ever been more talent on the ice at the same time. And even though they were just "NHL All stars", it was Team Canada in all but name, and I believe that´s how the players felt too (prove me wrong!).
Yes, even the commentators were having difficulty trying not to say Canadians and Team Canada. If the NHL won, it would have been considered a great series in North America; it would still be called the "Series of the Century".

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
What cups? The Stanley Cups? The NHL is not an international tournament.
The USSR and Canada were not well ahead of everyone else.
Who was barred from playing? When NHLers were allowed to play Canada still did not win and don't say that they only sent bad teams.

The best NHLers were not aloowed to play. And obviously the Stanley Cup is not an international tournament. That's the point. The World Championships were a joke until all countries were on an equal footing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The best NHLers were not aloowed to play. And obviously the Stanley Cup is not an international tournament. That's the point. The World Championships were a joke until all countries were on an equal footing.

Canada was sending Amateur teams to the WCs while the Russians were sending Pro's. fair? no. but it was what it was.

Feb 24, 2004
cyclops has never looked at any Canada - Russia/USSR thread without bias. It's not gonna happen ever, so just ignore him. Don't even mention Canada Cup 81 to him, he will start writing long, angry, racist fueled, essays on how the USSR team is crap and how russia these days couldn't beat a team of zambonis. He likes to pretend that the Canada cup is the only time the USSR played the west. When you see the name cyclops in a history or international play thread, just skip over it.

Its funny because every single post defending the USSR or Russia doesn't even recognize the fact that Canada won any games fairly...it was either the ref, the rules, or a fluke. Grow up.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
And this is part of only western thinking?

There is no limit on how many NHLers could play since 1977.

Canada was sending Amateur teams to the WCs while the Russians were sending Pro's. fair? no. but it was what it was.
Refer to the second part of my previous post in this thread (here).

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
But there are limits on which NHLers can play. Ie, anyone good enough to be in the playoffs with any success isn't on the team.
That is a self imposed limit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karamahti*

SC playoffs have been around longer than world championships so it´s IIHFs fault for making such idiotic schedule.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Happenstance. Sometimes, no one is to blame.
But earlier you seemed to be blaming the IIHF.

SC playoffs have been around longer than world championships so it´s IIHFs fault for making such idiotic schedule.
I am sure you would know what is idiotic or not.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
But earlier you seemed to be blaming the IIHF.

Blaming no, just saying that without the NHL's best as well as the European league's best, then it isn't really a top tier tournament. No fault, simple fact.

And Karamahti, you are aware that the Stanley Cup finals used to be much earlier in the year, right?

Karamahti*

I am sure you would know what is idiotic or not.

When reading your and your soulmates posts here, there´s little doubt left what´s idiotic and what´s not.

And Karamahti, you are aware that the Stanley Cup finals used to be much earlier in the year, right?

I´m aware of that. But the point still remains that world championships are b-tournament where b-teams compete in front of drunken hockey tourists. Just last year over 10 swedish players declined to play even though it´s usually considered to be an honour to wear the tre kronor jersey. Plenty of Finns declined as well. If it was something every player allways dreamed of, I´m sure no one would decline.

Olympic games/Stanley Cup
World Cup
World Championships
Euro Hockey Tour

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
When reading your and your soulmates posts here, there´s little doubt left what´s idiotic and what´s not.

I´m aware of that. But the point still remains that world championships are b-tournament where b-teams compete in front of drunken hockey tourists. Just last year over 10 swedish players declined to play even though it´s usually considered to be an honour to wear the tre kronor jersey. Plenty of Finns declined as well. If it was something every player allways dreamed of, I´m sure no one would decline.

Olympic games/Stanley Cup
World Cup
World Championships
Euro Hockey Tour

You've got World Cup way too high. It's not a fair tournament with pretty much everything geared towards helping the home team.

The name World Cup is a joke. To be worthy of such a name, the competition should be arranged in a rotating fashion, each time in a different country. I dont' see that happening though and, therefore, the thing should be named Canada Cup as it used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00