Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You keep him and You win now. Once PLD is gone there is nothing to replace him. ZERO. Who gives a flying fire truck about a late first and some 3rd liner they get in return. This is the window. You blow it all to win in these next 2 years.

Ill trade a Cup run for whatever scraps they would return in trading him. At best all those scraps do is keep the Jets a place or two higher in the draft at best while we need to be drafting more quality players.

I thought that was what you were implying in the post I quoted. Interesting to get everyone's take.

I think it all depends on if Chevy believes there is a realistic chance on signing him or not. Ladd and Buff likely engaged in good faith negotiations early on, one of which fell through and one that ended with a long term contract. Chevy knew Trouba wouldn't sign no matter what was offered, so he was moved going into the final season.

Your point about good faith negotiations with Buff and Ladd are probably relevant. Kevin might have had a good gauge on whether Buff and Ladd were willing to stay put. It allowed Chevy to carry those negotiations into the lame duck season.

My preference is to have PLD signed and extended as a Jet

With that out of the way I think the big factors are:

A) What does Chevy know about PLD's status? If he knows he is gone (Trouba) then what?

B) What is the status of Scheifele?

C) What is the status of Helle?

D) what are the offers in place in a trade scenario for PLD after the season?

Does Trading A impact the ability to sign either B or C?

IF any combination of more than one of A, B, and C want out then what?

I could go on and on with variables since there are lots of balls in the air. Really at this point I have zero sniff on how this goes. I am just going to let the season play out and hope we get hot, go on a run, and make some memories in the playoffs this spring.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought that was what you were implying in the post I quoted. Interesting to get everyone's take.

Your point about good faith negotiations with Buff and Ladd are probably relevant. Kevin might have had a good gauge on whether Buff and Ladd were willing to stay put. It allowed Chevy to carry those negotiations into the lame duck season.

My preference is to have PLD signed and extended as a Jet

With that out of the way I think the big factors are:

A) What does Chevy know about PLD's status? If he knows he is gone (Trouba) then what?

B) What is the status of Scheifele?

C) What is the status of Helle?

D) what are the offers in place in a trade scenario for PLD after the season?

Does Trading A impact the ability to sign either B or C?

IF any combination of more than one of A, B, and C want out then what?

I could go on and on with variables since there are lots of balls in the air. Really at this point I have zero sniff on how this goes. I am just going to let the season play out and hope we get hot, go on a run, and make some memories in the playoffs this spring.
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall, and know the real inside info? Chevy has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall, and know the real inside info? Chevy has his work cut out for him.

I can’t think of any off season he has had that is anywhere near this one. When we had the mass exodus off our Blue line after the 18-19 season it was manageable if Buff had not pulled a Buff. With Buff that D core would have been more tolerable.

This off season is so much more important because we have Scheifele, Helle, and PLD all needing new deals or they are lame ducks.

You are right, I have often thought/wondered if the fans actually knew what it was like to keep things together in the Winnipeg market would it change opinion (my guess). The next 7 months might age Chevy 5 years. :laugh::popcorn:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
*Re-signs bridge deal

I chose traded this summer. It would be bad asset management to let the Laine (and Roslovic) pick turn into nothing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
*Re-signs bridge deal

I chose traded this summer. It would be bad asset management to let the Laine (and Roslovic) pick turn into nothing.
Shit, I didn't know we're correcting spelling and grammar on these boards. I'll keep an eye out on all your upcoming posts.

Also you missed "What do happen with Dubie"

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Don't really understand him. Why would he want to play for one of the worst teams in the NHL? :p
Money and home ofc.

But according to all the know-it-all Habs fans, he’ll gladly take a hometown discount of a couple mil to toil away there ;)

Reactions: UFO

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Don't really understand him. Why would he want to play for one of the worst teams in the NHL? :p

Saviour complex.

PLD can go grab those sad Habs by the scruff of their collective necks, take from them the failing torch and lead them back to glory -- or, at least, relevance.

It's a big ask, but plenty of other sportsers have tried.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Shit, I didn't know we're correcting spelling and grammar on these boards. I'll keep an eye out on all your upcoming posts.

Also you missed "What do happen with Dubie"
Resign vs Re-sign is a massive pet peeve of mine. They couldn’t be more opposite of each other. Hyphens save jobs!

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Resign vs Re-sign is a massive pet peeve of mine. They couldn’t be more opposite of each other. Hyphens save jobs!
Resign vs. re-sign.

I set up the poll on my phone, and you can't edit the options once you submit them.

I did write it correctly on the option above it, so I'd hope people could figure it out instead of deleting the poll and starting over.

My job involves a lot of meticulously combing over communications before I send them out, I don't mind being a bit lazy on a hockey forum.

PS correcting grammar on a forum is my pet peeve :)

Reactions: ps241

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Back to the main point.

Dubois will, sadly, leave these hallowed halls for parts unknown (for me anything east of St. Pierre-Jolys, MB). But not before Jets management keep him on the team, and play him to death (hitting UFA like a bull fly hits the windshield on a Toyota Corolla), waves good-bye to his Dad and walks.

53dba99c-93dc-4685-8d7e-2ef4b6325a55_text.gif

Reactions: Jet

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
My unfounded wild theory is the players were completely pissed with management giving up on the team last year (other things as well). Maurice was begged to stay in the off-season after he told the Jets he wanted to leave. He QUIT ON THE TEAM. They replaced him with Dave Fn Lowry. That’s like a football team taking a knee after the 1st quarter and giving up. I think we all knew that. They Should have started a coaching search in the summer but they seemed surprised Maurice quit after he told them he wanted to quit.

Management completely gave up on the team by November in a year where the Best players are in their prime and the team Was supposed to be one of the best. THEY QUIT ON THE PLAYERS. They told everyone when it was time to compete they would give the team the resources needed. THEY LIED TO THE PLAYERS AND THE FANS.

If they trade PLD in these next two years (without bringing something back to replace him) it will be the end of the franchise as we know it. They will officially be the Coyotes, a team that’s in a constant rebuild without the balls to win.

Is it reasonable for players to accept this type of management? Will the Jets have the future Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, Hellebuyck’s etc sign long term, reasonable contracts the way those players did? Are the Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, Hellebuyck’s etc going to re sign here after management quits on them AGAIN?! These guys aren’t here for the Wi-Fi, weather and parks. They were told the team would try and win if the team was good enough. Well here we are, they are good enough and people want to give that up?

Trading PLD when the team is competitive will just breed more PLD’s who want to do their time in Winnipeg and walk ASAP and the Jets will have less Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, Hellebuyck’s etc. who are willing to sign long term and try to win here. And for what? A late first and an OK prospect?

This isn’t just about PLD. It’s about the Jets telling players and fans what they are about. Is it about winning or just being a forever development team.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am now in favor of considering moving him at the deadline for futures looking at the insane packages being offered for guys like Jeannot. I'd rather get this saga over with and move on if Chevy gets a good offer.

While I think he gets traded. I am also ok with keeping him for the year and letting him walk

Glad you're not the GM... absolutely the type of move that sets the franchise back 3-4 years. Many teams have let their key UFAs walk to Free Agency and it has almost never worked out well... esp not for small market teams. Ask Nashville, Columbus, Calgary if walking Suter, Duchene, Panarin and Gaudreau to UFA status was worth it.

Reactions: cg98 and snowkiddin

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think if we can't get a solid haul for him then we just keep him for one more year and let him walk. Next year is likely our final kick at the can before we and some of our core pieces have to make some really rough decisions. Those decisions likely determine our trajectory moving forward and if Dubois won't sign then I'd say the window likely snaps shuts pretty quick.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I am now in favor of considering moving him at the deadline for futures looking at the insane packages being offered for guys like Jeannot. I'd rather get this saga over with and move on if Chevy gets a good offer.

Glad you're not the GM... absolutely the type of move that sets the franchise back 3-4 years. Many teams have let their key UFAs walk to Free Agency and it has almost never worked out well... esp not for small market teams. Ask Nashville, Columbus, Calgary if walking Suter, Duchene, Panarin and Gaudreau to UFA status was worth it.

I'm also glad you're not the GM if you're going to move him at this year's deadline. Giving up that easily is something players notice.

I think if you asked Columbus if it was worth it they'd say yes. They pulled off a huge upset and swept Tampa and got their first series win. Showing you're willing to win now does a lot for your team's reputation.

Also, be realistic. Jeannot didn't set the market. 30 other GMs thought that price was insane, he'll I'm sure Nashville thought that too. You're not getting the Meier return either. What do you hope to get at the deadline right now that you wouldn't in the summer?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm also glad you're not the GM if you're going to move him at this year's deadline. Giving up that easily is something players notice.

I think if you asked Columbus if it was worth it they'd say yes. They pulled off a huge upset and swept Tampa and got their first series win. Showing you're willing to win now does a lot for your team's reputation.

Also, be realistic. Jeannot didn't set the market. 30 other GMs thought that price was insane, he'll I'm sure Nashville thought that too. You're not getting the Meier return either. What do you hope to get at the deadline right now that you wouldn't in the summer?
I’m not saying trade PLD but I definitely think you would get more now than in the summer. There is an arms race going on in the East. I think a team like Carolina with an uncertain contention window and cap space and an owner who said the world be active at the TD would pay a lot more now than at the draft.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m not saying trade PLD but I definitely think you would get more now than in the summer. There is an arms race going on in the East. I think a team like Carolina with an uncertain contention window and cap space and an owner who said the world be active at the TD would pay a lot more now than at the draft.

There's an arms race, sure, but teams also are considering the future. I know Meier was technically traded without an extension but so was Mark Stone and so was Bo Horvat.

What are you getting from Carolina at the deadline? Not a roster player that might hurt their chances this year. So no Jarvis, no Kotkiniemi. I would doubt a prospect like Morrow is on the table for a year and 2 months of Dubois. Best case is a late 1st and Jack Drury, only for the low cost of telling your current and future players that you're willing to give up after a 4 and 6 stretch.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

honestly the price the got for jeannot, it's like they didn't want to trade him and threw out a ridiculous price and tampa just said "okay"

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There's an arms race, sure, but teams also are considering the future. I know Meier was technically traded without an extension but so was Mark Stone and so was Bo Horvat.

What are you getting from Carolina at the deadline? Not a roster player that might hurt their chances this year. So no Jarvis, no Kotkiniemi. I would doubt a prospect like Morrow is on the table for a year and 2 months of Dubois. Best case is a late 1st and Jack Drury, only for the low cost of telling your current and future players that you're willing to give up after a 4 and 6 stretch.
Who says you couldn't get Kotkiniemi in return? PLD is a big upgrade and also isn't a rental with a pretty easy QO for next season. Net result they are a better team and more formattable and it matches Aho's term length. Carolina add a couple futures including their 2023 1st and decent prospect. Chevy then turns around and moves their 2023 1st and a prospect, maybe adding a player like Heinola for let's say Chychrun. We downgrade at center, but with a good player signed at a manageable contract for 7 years and get an up grade at defense, that has a couple more years of term. The injection of players from multiple organizations will do the team good IMO.

It probably doesn't happen, but it is more fun to discuss possibilities then rule out something out of hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad