Votes: 21 12.7%
  • Accepts QO, walks to UFA

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
When his troubles started in Columbus wasn't there talk of him wanting to play in a big market?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trade him and keep the culture of mediocrity. Yay!!!

If PLD intends to test free agency how would you handle him as an asset if you were Chevy?

If we look at some history Chevy went into lame duck seasons with both Ladd and Buff and dealt with that in season. Now we missed the playoffs that year so he was able to capture value for Ladd at the TD when he couldn’t get him extended. He moved on from Trouba in the summer and avoided using him as our own rental. To a lesser extent he went into Copp’s last season using him as our own rental and flipped him at the TD when the season was lost.

Reactions: voyageur

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If PLD intends to test free agency how would you handle him as an asset if you were Chevy?

If we look at some history Chevy went into lame duck seasons with both Ladd and Buff and dealt with that in season. Now we missed the playoffs that year so he was able to capture value for Ladd at the TD when he couldn’t get him extended. He moved on from Trouba in the summer and avoided using him as our own rental. To a lesser extent he went into Copp’s last season using him as our own rental and flipped him at the TD when the season was lost.
You keep him and You win now. Once PLD is gone there is nothing to replace him. ZERO. Who gives a flying fire truck about a late first and some 3rd liner they get in return. This is the window. You blow it all to win in these next 2 years.

Ill trade a Cup run for whatever scraps they would return in trading him. At best all those scraps do is keep the Jets a place or two higher in the draft at best while we need to be drafting more quality players.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Assuming the worst - and PLD will walk in a year - Chevy trades him to Montreal for both of their 1st rounders (Habs at 7 and Florida at 11).

Jets draft Dvorsky and Cristall. Full on rebuild time.

Reactions: GNP

han316

Feb 6, 2013
I say he gets traded in the summer but i wouldn't put money on it.

If he accepts is QO then hes considered a rental. I'm sure Chevy will try and make a Hockey trade but he's the type of player you want to see in the playoffs (this years playoff performance will cement everyone's view on him i think). This team may only have this year and next year to compete so i wouldn't be surprised if he keeps him and tries to make a run.

Ljklassen

Dec 24, 2013
I say he gets traded in the summer but i wouldn't put money on it.

If he accepts is QO then hes considered a rental. I'm sure Chevy will try and make a Hockey trade but he's the type of player you want to see in the playoffs (this years playoff performance will cement everyone's view on him i think). This team may only have this year and next year to compete so i wouldn't be surprised if he keeps him and tries to make a run.

really interesting point! We've got him this year and next, the window is now, so as an Extended rental we keep him and go for it this year and next.

he doesn't seem to be a player that will slack off - maybe a bit mercurial, but no doubt will go all in for the cup.

Reactions: GNP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I was thinking.

If we could get both MTLs firsts for Dubie you do it.

I'm sure we could find a 2C in free agency
In a heartbeat but I doubt MTL does that

That said 2C's don't grow on trees. Add that to the fact that schief's future is also uncertain and all of a sudden we could be centreless

Reactions: kanadalainen

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't fool around with Dubois, trade him early, and get the highest return you can from him, instead of letting time erode your return. If he doesn't want to resign now, he's made it clear where he wants to play -- so you move him.

The only other choice is to keep him for next years rental, and try for the Cup. If you do that, you'd lose him for zero return after next year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Don't fool around with Dubois, trade him early, and get the highest return you can from him, instead of letting time erode your return. If he doesn't want to resign now, he's made it clear where he wants to play -- so you move him.

The only other choice is to keep him for next years rental, and try for the Cup. If you do that, you'd lose him for zero return after next year.
he won't get moved until the draft if he doesn't want to sign here, it would be crazy to trade him right now

Reactions: GNP and surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

If he doesn’t re-sign prior I think there is about a 95% chance he gets traded around the draft.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Assuming the worst - and PLD will walk in a year - Chevy trades him to Montreal for both of their 1st rounders (Habs at 7 and Florida at 11).

Jets draft Dvorsky and Cristall. Full on rebuild time.
I think they will get a Trouba return If he goes to Montréal.

I wonder if the Habs still want PLD if one of the top 3 Centres in the draft fall into their laps. And then what do the Habs do with the Florida pick? There’s still Centres in that area as well. The rest of their draft is then just wingers and defensemen.

If that plays out does that make sense for the Habs to sign PLD? Everyone can always use a good player but they are paying PLD Centre money to play on the wing. They got to pay some defensemen and a goaltender eventually.

The Habs probably just take the good player and work it out after, it’s not a bad problem to have. But I think that’s they only way this works out well for the Jets. If Montréal decides to not take him at least he has to reconsider the rest of the league and maybe they get the type of return you (and me) are hoping for. He might even reconsider the Jets Which would be even better to me.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think they will get a Trouba return If he goes to Montréal.

I wonder if the Habs still want PLD if one of the top 3 Centres in the draft fall into their laps. And then what do the Habs do with the Florida pick? There’s still Centres in that area as well. The rest of their draft is then just wingers and defensemen.

If that plays out does that make sense for the Habs to sign PLD? Everyone can always use a good player but they are paying PLD Centre money to play on the wing. They got to pay some defensemen and a goaltender eventually.

The Habs probably just take the good player and work it out after, it’s not a bad problem to have. But I think that’s they only way this works out well for the Jets. If Montréal decides to not take him at least he has to reconsider the rest of the league and maybe they get the type of return you (and me) are hoping for. He might even reconsider the Jets Which would be even better to me.

imo
MTL is still a ways from being legit PO contender. i doubt they're PO team even with PLD on their roster. he will help, but w/o a great goalie, or solid D group they still aren't there. they need high-end talent everywhere. i think they'll send an offer for PLD this off-season, if Chevy doesn't like it i think MTL will move on and take their chances in 2024.

agreed on your final points though. we have no idea if he just wants to be in MTL. in CBJ it was wanting to be on a bigger stage, then this past summer it was wanting to hit UFA 2024, then his agent mentioning MTL as a team he'd like to play for, as well as Murat reporting PLD has been telling the team that as well. if there's a few other teams then that'll help with a return. but i don't think any thing definitive has come out.

i do wonder if the Jets make a sizable PO Run and PLD still refuses to re-sign long-term on what the Jets do. would it be more like Copp: arbitration->keep for the year, and then trade him depending where we are at the 2024 TDL? or more like Trouba? I know few on here think just trade him, but using that logic are they trading Scheifele or Helle if they are not signing this summer either? :dunno: i don't think the Jets would ever trade Helle given how paramount he is to the team and i believe as long as he is on the team they'll avoid rebuilding but all 3 are FAs at the same time.

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You keep him and You win now. Once PLD is gone there is nothing to replace him. ZERO. Who gives a flying fire truck about a late first and some 3rd liner they get in return. This is the window. You blow it all to win in these next 2 years.

Ill trade a Cup run for whatever scraps they would return in trading him. At best all those scraps do is keep the Jets a place or two higher in the draft at best while we need to be drafting more quality players.
Basically he's a really really good "own rental" in this scenario. It all depends on where we're at next trade deadline, but if we're doing well like we are this year I agree with you, keep him for the run and then let him "walk for free" if that's his choice.

If we're not in a playoff spot, sell him at the trade deadline.

I opted for QO this summer and traded at deadline just because that seemed the most realistic outcome (somewhat of a Copp-type situation) when I voted, but you make a compelling argument and I was forgetting how bad we were last year. I'd love to be surprised and see him sign a lengthier deal this summer. I think that's possible. Traded this summer seems the least likely option to me and for the reasons you cited I wouldn't want that unless it's a crazy good haul.

Reactions: TS Quint

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One "contender" will disappoint this playoff season. Maybe they decide Dubois is the missing piece - a big, mean, talented offensive C. They make a hockey trade for him.

We dont know what if any talks have happened with Helle and Scheifele. I hope they dont keep the players they cant sign as their own deadline acquisition. Chevy has to head into the draft with a plan to replace 1,2 or all 3 of them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think it all depends on if Chevy believes there is a realistic chance on signing him or not. Ladd and Buff likely engaged in good faith negotiations early on, one of which fell through and one that ended with a long term contract. Chevy knew Trouba wouldn't sign no matter what was offered, so he was moved going into the final season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad