What happens if Carolina fails to make the playoffs again?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Canes are run more like a fraternity than an NHL team.

I've never quite gotten this argument. Every organization, to one extent or another, is run like a fraternity at one time or another. Hell, the pool of ex-players who choose to enter the game as coaches and scouts is only so big - it becomes ridiculously easy to play six degrees of separation and attempt to chalk up some hire or personnel decision on nepotism/country club mentality. And sometimes it works - Colorado just made a big 'ole nepotism hire at head coach. Some old goalie that used to play for them or something? They seem to be doing pretty well with it.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't think we're as far away from contending as people think.

You came here after a loss that pretty much highlighted our weaknesses- special teams and depth scoring. Not surprising that most of the responses are sour.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
August 2014

"I am very optimistic about it for one thing", stated Jim Rutherford general manger of the Carolina Hurricanes when asked this week how he felt about his hockey club going into the new season. "I strongly feel that the additions we've made in Josef Melichar, Wade Brookbank, and also in reacquiring Zac Dalpe from Vancouver will be enough to push us into the playoffs this year". Mr. Rutherford added, "I also feel like a second full training camp with Kirk Muller will be huge for this team. Overall, we just felt like we needed to keep trying what we've been trying and hope for different results".

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I really think the Staal era needs to end..

I'm not quite there yet and lord knows I'm not a big Eric Staal fan. I don't think he's a "broken" player yet in the sense that we need to cut bait on him and sell him for whatever we can get, but I do think somebody in the organization, whether it be Muller, Brindy, Francis, or Rutherford attempt to light a fire under him. It's one thing to be a slow starter, it's another to be a slow starter who's invisible for a quarter of the season and a detriment to his team another quarter of the season. Maybe go the Fleury route and ship him to a sports shrink to see if there's anything going on in that oversized noggin of his. Maybe pull a Lecavalier and take away his "C." But do something beyond whatever's already going on behind the scenes. I do think we're a better team with Eric when he's on his game, but I'm a little tired of waiting until after the All-Star break or Olympics for him to get on his game.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get the shock and outrage that comes after a loss, but honestly, the Canes record is probably about where it should be given the make up of the team and the schedule they played. I don't like it, but it's not unexpected. IMO, they were a bubble team to begin with if everyone was healthy. But they lose Skinner for 11 games, lose both goalies for an extended period, lose Semin for 7+ games, are without their best defenseman for the last two and E. Staal and Semin have been woefully underperforming.

This team is not deep or skilled enough to withstand any key injuries as it forces things like having Bellemore and Harrison to take on too much of a prominent role or relying on 18 and 20 year olds for key contributions when they clearly aren't ready.

Bottom line: A lot of money tied up in guys like E. Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Gleason, etc... and not getting the production needed from them. Trades or no trades, if the star players don't start playing like star players, this team doesn't make the playoffs no matter what.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
same excuses repeated over and over and over and over and.........................Skinner (oh yeah, the teams most talented offensive player) was to come back and............Ward........Semin coming back will change nothing.........need a PMD, a gritty forward who can chip in some O. yeah that's it. Eric will get going soon and well, Jordan is a defensive beast. if only they would all just execute Muller's system.......if, if..........too many passengers. it's all Tlusty's fault really. Gleason and Ruutu are givens. Jiri is the scapegoat at the moment. dump the guy and all will be o.k. in Canes Country.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I'm not quite there yet and lord knows I'm not a big Eric Staal fan. I don't think he's a "broken" player yet in the sense that we need to cut bait on him and sell him for whatever we can get, but I do think somebody in the organization, whether it be Muller, Brindy, Francis, or Rutherford attempt to light a fire under him. It's one thing to be a slow starter, it's another to be a slow starter who's invisible for a quarter of the season and a detriment to his team another quarter of the season. Maybe go the Fleury route and ship him to a sports shrink to see if there's anything going on in that oversized noggin of his. Maybe pull a Lecavalier and take away his "C." But do something beyond whatever's already going on behind the scenes. I do think we're a better team with Eric when he's on his game, but I'm a little tired of waiting until after the All-Star break or Olympics for him to get on his game.

I just want a change in leadership and culture. Have a guy who consistently produces and one that we know will lead the team out of a slump. I think Eric is the type of player only to get worse as the years go on. He doesn't have the playmaking ability of a Joe Thornton and his shot is definitely not lethal.. Its funny, Eric's game is based around effort, winning battles etc.. which is why its baffling to have him at half speed most nights.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I have no particular hate on for the Staals or any player for that matter. Eric Staal and Jordan Staal as well, are so very highly regarded around the hockey community, fans, media, always ranting and raving about them. oh and Marc too, but I don't hear as much there. classic good old big Canadian boys. All Star games, the Worlds, the Olympics. right, Eric doesn't have a big shot, isn't a play maker, isn't a particularly physical player nor agitator. last night after the game against the Canucks TSN showed Jordan's 'typical' goal. they showed Eric's 'typical' assist on Gerbe's goal. that assist empitomizes the 'good' Eric Staal, charging the net with his long reach, etc.. TSN extolled the Staal brothers. everyone does all the time.

Eric isn't a good captain IMO. at his best he is an elite grinder. I think both are vastly over paid for what they bring from a skill perspective but there is much more to their value than that of course. Eric represents "a Hockey player" to many. if he put a constant effort well,..........anyway, Eric will likely make Team Canada but he shouldn't. I can't see him traded, ever, nor his captaincy removed. would it be better for the team? probably yes. but Eric Staal is ironically the heart and soul of the Hurricanes. the "pulse". he runs the team. Muller would never call him out no matter what. he may hint at it and say it is motivation but there is no way Muller will ever step on his toes. it's really quite amazing to see how much power Eric Staal has and he knows it.

from the outside looking in (not in the dressing room etc.), one can easily see how Eric could be the problem with the culture therefore. it does seem infectious and players coming in do seem to emulate it quickly. funny really how a guy like Gerbe hasn't caught it yet. it will be interesting to see how that develops if he ends up signing a long term contract.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Is it possible Gleason's attitude sucks because he sees the lack of passion and leadership out of Staal and others (including perhaps JR)? Gleason *shouldn't* be a bad defenseman. But if he's quit on the rest of the team because he thinks like most here do, maybe that's why he just won't try anymore. I know, professional athletes are supposed to be above that and give '110%' every time, but is it possible Tim Gleason is an island unto himself (now perhaps with Malhotra, Sekera and Hainsey on it with him) on the 'effort' side of the equation?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is it possible Gleason's attitude sucks because he sees the lack of passion and leadership out of Staal and others (including perhaps JR)? Gleason *shouldn't* be a bad defenseman. But if he's quit on the rest of the team because he thinks like most here do, maybe that's why he just won't try anymore. I know, professional athletes are supposed to be above that and give '110%' every time, but is it possible Tim Gleason is an island unto himself (now perhaps with Malhotra, Sekera and Hainsey on it with him) on the 'effort' side of the equation?

How do we know Gleason's attitude sucks? He's been injured almost all season and has only played in 7 games.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I have no particular hate on for the Staals or any player for that matter. Eric Staal and Jordan Staal as well, are so very highly regarded around the hockey community, fans, media, always ranting and raving about them. oh and Marc too, but I don't hear as much there. classic good old big Canadian boys. All Star games, the Worlds, the Olympics. right, Eric doesn't have a big shot, isn't a play maker, isn't a particularly physical player nor agitator. last night after the game against the Canucks TSN showed Jordan's 'typical' goal. they showed Eric's 'typical' assist on Gerbe's goal. that assist empitomizes the 'good' Eric Staal, charging the net with his long reach, etc.. TSN extolled the Staal brothers. everyone does all the time.

Eric isn't a good captain IMO. at his best he is an elite grinder. I think both are vastly over paid for what they bring from a skill perspective but there is much more to their value than that of course. Eric represents "a Hockey player" to many. if he put a constant effort well,..........anyway, Eric will likely make Team Canada but he shouldn't. I can't see him traded, ever, nor his captaincy removed. would it be better for the team? probably yes. but Eric Staal is ironically the heart and soul of the Hurricanes. the "pulse". he runs the team. Muller would never call him out no matter what. he may hint at it and say it is motivation but there is no way Muller will ever step on his toes. it's really quite amazing to see how much power Eric Staal has and he knows it.

from the outside looking in (not in the dressing room etc.), one can easily see how Eric could be the problem with the culture therefore. it does seem infectious and players coming in do seem to emulate it quickly. funny really how a guy like Gerbe hasn't caught it yet. it will be interesting to see how that develops if he ends up signing a long term contract.

I, uhh, agree with this post.

Excuse me, I have to take a shower. Good day.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
What will happen? Prices will go up again. They expect the few who are attending to pay for those who are not attending.

What NEEDS to happen? JR needs to resign. And the Canes need to sign/trade for a veteran leader who isn't afraid to ruffle some prissy feathers.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
the team needs a complete house cleaning starting with the gm and every coach in the organization. the staals would have to be traded together, rangers are the obvious choice. ward can go too. rebuild around faulk, murphy, lindholm, skinner, ect. this team will never win when the number 1 center doesn't show up half the time. what a freaking mess......

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
the team needs a complete house cleaning starting with the gm and every coach in the organization. the staals would have to be traded together, rangers are the obvious choice. ward can go too. rebuild around faulk, murphy, lindholm, skinner, ect. this team will never win when the number 1 center doesn't show up half the time. what a freaking mess......

Lol who on the rangers would you want in return for Eric Staal? Those calling for eric/jordan to be traded need to cough up what they expect to be getting back in the deal.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Callahan would be a good start. You want to see a captain that leads by example? Look no further than him.

Maybe Callahan + Girardi + a high prospect/1st?

Spitballing here.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Callahan leads by example because he is a glorified 3rd line grinder. When he leads by example, he isn't necessarily scoring. At least Staal has the capability to go out there and make top defenders look like children.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Callahan leads by example because he is a glorified 3rd line grinder. When he leads by example, he isn't necessarily scoring. At least Staal has the capability to go out there and make top defenders look like children.

I have yet to ever see him come even close to ever doing this

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And how often does he use that ability over the course of a season? 10-15 times, at most?

I'd rather have the captain that shows up for 90% of games he's in. One that, when he isn't scoring, is blocking shots, making some defensive play or showing some kind of effort to help the team.

Instead, we've got Eric, who doesn't seem to realize games early in the season matter as much as games late in the season. Who seems to decide which games are important and which ones aren't and puts forth the effort accordingly.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I have yet to ever see him come even close to ever doing this

His work against Jared Cowen (6'5, 235 lbs) on Lindholm's goal against Ottawa.

I'd rather have the captain that shows up for 90% of games he's in. One that, when he isn't scoring, is blocking shots, making some defensive play or showing some kind of effort to help the team.

Then why is Staal getting criticized right now? He has 10 points in his last 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad